“Don't be misled by pretty words and photos”

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
SW Mich
“Don't be misled by pretty words and photos”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

''Francois" clearly has no interest in running a good b&b. We stayed in January, arriving after dark, and had to navigate our way across walkways covered in ice. Website advertises wireless service but there was none. Our bathroom was stocked with a used bar of soap and filthy towels (I have photos). And for all the website's hype about the food/restaurant, our breakfast consisted of coffee and two small pieces of French toast-- no eggs, no meat, not even juice. We calmly registered our complaints to with the staff, but they offered no apologies, seemed entirely uninterested. What a disappointment.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LuxAeterna86
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Hello ,

Thank you for your review. I 'm sorry to see your comments who reflect a negative experience. For your information I do have a lot of interest to run a good B & B and take every single comment very seriously. So I do want to sincerely thanks you for taking the time to share your experience, I wish you had called me the next day. I was out of town for a family reunion and unfortunately things doesn't run the same way in my absence and I apologize for that. We had a terrible winter storm on this week end and obviously my snow cleaning service was overwhelm. Please come back at your earlier convenience for a better experience and feel free to call me any time to book your next visit , I will make sure than every thing will be perfect this time personally. 269 344 1827

Truly yours,

Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Allegan, Michigan
Reviewed February 15, 2012

The normal dinner price is $38. It was never mentioned that because we were there on February 11, 2012, an additional $10 was added to the $38 for "Valentine's
Day" extras. The extras were a half-glass of wine and one chocolate covered strawberry per person. I was there with my sister, mother and best friend. Our service was very poor. We had to ask for beverage. Once we did get that, after 40 minutes, we asked on three different occasions for a refill - never did get that. My friend ordered the flounder and when it was brought to the table, you could just about see the fish above the sauce. The restroom was a "unisex" down two flight of stairs. Not good for my mother. The walk was not cleared and the porch was slippery. Parking is very limited. I had always looked forward to going to the "Castle", what a disappointment - won't be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Diane A
Dear Diane,

Thank you for your email. I do appreciate all your remarks and will address them to improve our performance. Please come back for a new experience at your earlier convenience, call me to make reservation and I will make sure than you have a much better experience this time.

Best regards,

Francois

Travelers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My son rented this B&B for his wife and four childern when they came to kalamazoo. He invited us (Mom and Dad) to join them for dinner. We had a lovely dinner prepared by French Chef Francious. The food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend this B&B to any descrete traveler who appreciates a quality dinning experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tenthround
Augusta, Michigan
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We had a romantic getaway to the castle and it was a fantastic experience. Four course dinner, relaxing evening in the hot tub on the rooftop, comfortable and warm bedding, followed by a fabulous breakfast. Francois is pleasant and accomodating, loved every minute of the evening.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 32Jamie
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I usually stay in hotels when I travel for work but noticed this place on my gps. I arrived at 10 in the evening. They made me a sandwich, gave me a tour and set me up with a chair on the roof which is the highlight. The rooftop is amazing. The architecture is great too. The service was the best I've ever experienced. Again, wow.

• Stayed September 2011