“Hot tub (spa) not hot”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed June 28, 2012

A nice hotel in a good location front desk staff curteous and friendly,
good beds, and pillows room clean, but hot tub is only luke warm
when mentioned to managment I was given excuses, 2 days later
on our return stop it was still the same.

Room Tip: odd # rooms face airport runway even # are quiter
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kalamazoo

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed here recently on business and overall, it was enjoyable. I was upgraded to a suite, which I very much appreciated, and the front desk staff were all very friendly. The bed was extremely comfortable -- great pillows! -- and the room was cleaned nicely every day. There were some little oversights -- a lightbulb out in the bathroom that I thought housekeeping would catch and never did -- and leftover signs of the place pre-renovation: a hole in the door, the HVAC unit apparently held together with duct tape, and a stain on the ceiling. Breakfast was uninspired, and the first morning I was there, was out of coffee, fruit, and eggs; only the fruit was refreshed in the 15 minutes I was there. As other posters have noted, there's sound carry-through from room to room. But the location is convenient and I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank solo_Anglophile
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My Mother and I stayed at the Country Inn for two nights while attending a funneral. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The staff, more than once sought us out to make sure everything was okay and to ask if there was anything else they could do for us. The deluxe breakfast was amazing, well stocked, Only disappointing features were the pool (which was COLD!) and the jacuzzi (which was out of order the entire time we were there).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank InTheHeart
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The hotel is currently being remodeled. I have stayed at other hotels during remodeling but never noticed the contractors. The carpenters were cutting lumber just outside of my window. I heard the circular saws until 10:30 at night. Obviously the owners had no regard for their guests to schedule this kind of work. The hotel was only 20-30 percent full, there had to be a room further away from the construction area than where they put me.
Also, over a three day period, we ran out of hot water every time we truied to shower. I used my Club Carlson points to stay here and usually don't have issues like this at a Country Inn and Suites, but I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OrionTraveler
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We hid our children's electronics UNDER CLOTHING IN A DRAWER and returned to find them stolen. The manager promised replacement and the owner said too bad. Not to mention the bathrooms were disgusting and never cleaned. Do not stay here unless you enjoy being robbed.

Room Tip: Noisy room, filthy bathrooms
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Tammy G
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I stayed here for one night in January 2012. It was a bit difficult to find (it was dark and very foggy), but once I figured out where it was, it wasn't a problem. I had wonderful service (both check in by friendly staff and check out by the manager).

Room was spacious (one king bed). Toilet and tub were separate from sink area. They have the usual toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap and moisturizer). Everything was clean and in good condition. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I didn't notice any noise from other rooms or from the interstate (very close by). Had a great night sleep here.

Breakfast had the usual cold items (donuts, bagels, muffins and cereal) and some hot items.

I would stay here again. It's a good clean hotel, right off the interstate with a decent breakfast for a fairly good price.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Booked this reservation through priceline. Thought I was bidding on a 3-star but instead I had hit 2 1/2-star. Paid $60/night which isn't bad but I think I could have gotten this for $45. I would have felt better about that price. The best thing about this hotel was the service and staff. The owner/manager was working at the front desk and was very friendly. The other staff I talked with was also friendly. They did every thing they could to make our stay a good one. Their buisness center was down so they let me use a computer behind the front desk to print some things.
They are in the process of remodling some rooms here. We were in a newly remodled room but there were still some spots on the wall that needed sanding and painting. Our room was clean but my wife said it just sort of "felt" dirty.
The breakfast was good not great. In addition to the waffle maker they had some type of hot eggs, sausage, buiscuits, and gravy. Didn't use the pool. This hotel is on the northwest corner of the battlecreek airport but surprisingly the airplane noise was not very noticable.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple