“Worst Motel6”

Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Santa Cruz, California
“Worst Motel6”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Poorly updated rooms, light fixture non-functional, light fixture falling off wall, property looks derelict. It was July and the pool was closed - actually the pool complex looked like it had been closed for years! For the first time ever my bed was short-sheeted! Pictures of the room on websites have to be staged or are the few rooms that seem to be occupied by family. TV was semi-broken: the tint of the picture was green and there were no controls to adjust.

Room Tip: Skip this Motel 6
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Friendship,IN
Reviewed June 29, 2011

When staying here this spring , found the room was not clean ......called the office and they sent someone to clean countertop and wash window. After I returned home, I called and talked with manager. His attitude, and the condition of the room, convinced me that I will never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Brazil, In
Reviewed May 12, 2011

When I travel I always look for a budget motel. Most are clean and no-frills and suit my needs. I checked into this one at 9:30 PM and found the parking lot to be dimly lit. The room was really bare bones - right down to the linoleum floor (that was sticky to walk on). My computer plug wouldn't stay in the outlet. The bed sagged and the mattress was old and filthy...whoever said this hotel has been renovated in the past 18 months wasn't talking about the beds. My booking WAS for 3 nights, but I only stayed one (primarily because it was late and I was too tired to look for another room in town).
I won't stay here again....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Friendship,IN
Reviewed February 17, 2011

This is a clean,'' no frills" motel and half the price of motels with amenities. The rooms and check-in areas have been renovated within the last 18 months.
We've stayed here several times while working at a Kalamazoo trade show, and found the management to be friendly and helpful.
A couple of years ago we unknowingly left an expensive item in the room. They contacted us to make arrangements to mail the item to us.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank happyfeet46
nate269, Sales Department at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
Dear Happyfeet46;

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Motel 6 #4437 Kalamazoo. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Your comments are highly valuable to us as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I've read the prior reviews, and was even warned off by another hotel service in the area, but I found that there was some effort to renovate the hotel room. It was a garish orange with cold, large-tile floors, barren and stripped down, not exactly in the line of comfort, but it was 'clean'. Definitely no-frills. The flush handle of the commode did not work, so I had to remove the back of the toilet to flush it. The mattress was clean without any signs of infestation, but the sheets were the barest excuse for actual sheets. There was a lot of traffic of people going past my window and door in the night, which was especially troublesome given the few numbers of cars there. The air/heat did work fine and there was no overtly offensive odor to the room. It wasn't stale or laden with tobacco odors. The worst part in the morning was having my door banged on my housekeeping at 10 am. I told them to go away, and they just kept banging and banging. I called the front desk; they said they would handled it and I could have until noon, but the banging kept going and the man was even laughing. In the end the woman at the front counter basically said I was making it up. I'm a long time Motel 6 user, but this one goes down as the worst, even with the attempts to renovate and improve. Motel 6 needs to pull the name off this one. Any pluses? Well, the WiFi was free and moved at about the pace of a 4-6 on a scale of 10.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
nate269, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, January 2, 2011
Dear TravT:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Motel 6 #4437 Kalamazoo. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Your comments about our housekeeping staff are most troubling, and we will address them with our staff in order to prevent further occurrence.
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Stayed in this motel as a stop off on the last leg between Toronto and Chicago of a 3400-mile round road trip (so I have a good experience of staying in motels!)
Quite simply this was the worst place - the room was apparently non-smoking though smelt of bad stale smoke, the extractor fan in the bathroom sounded like an industrial unit that was so noisy, likewise the air conditioning unit and generally not very clean.
Complained at the front desk the next morning (was actually asked how was the stay!) and though sympathetic just offered me 15% discount on my next stay which I kindly declined! I was told that the motel would be renovated...hopefully other future reviewers may comment¹

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
nate269, Sales Department at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Thank you for your review of Motel 6 Kalamazoo. Since your stay, we have made significant progress with our renovations which are nearing completion. Our maintenance person has also been working on making sure all of the AC units are in proper working order. We would like to invite you to return on your next visit to Kalamazoo so you can personally experience our fully renovated rooms.
Tennessee
Reviewed December 7, 2008

This hotel is a disgrace to the motel 6 name. I've stayed in many Motels 6's over the years but have never ever been in a more raunchy vial room. The room smelled very heavy of someone just smoked a joint. For a non smoking room i had 2 ash trays in the room and multiple cig burn marks every where even the tolilet seat with a cig floating in the toilet bowl. The floor and bedding were burned, soiled and actually sticky in places. A light fixture was broke and hanging from the bathroom wall. No remeote for tv which looked about 11 years old. A real Kalamazoo MI cockroach greated me on the TV when i walked in and again as i walked out. There was heavy evidence of the room being used asa temp. meth lab as the chrome and all metal surfaces were coroded and rusted and acid fumes do this during cooking. (I am a former drug enforcement officer so i know these things).Once a room has been cooked in dangerous fumes emite from all surfaces and can make a person very ill and children very very sick. I noticed a room that in the 30 mins i was there have over 16 cars coming and going with real seedy men and women 'visiting' the room. I asked for refund, got a bunch of excuses about what i told them about. Called the local sherrif dept. Learned this is also a hooker hang out for over a decade and not to stay here. I thanked the sheriff and went to another hotlel. Ps the air conditioner made more noise than a 1972 chevy. DO NOT STAY HERE expecially with chidren for your own healt and saftey. Be fore warned. Peace be with you..

• Liked — leaving and seeing it in the rear view mirror
  • Disliked — arriving and soiling my shoes in the room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank packrat2276
Thank you for your review of Motel 6 Kalamazoo. Your experience sounds horrible. Our hotel is now under new management and ownership. We work closely with various law enforcement agencies to prevent the manufacturing and trafficking of narcotics and prostitution on our premises. Additionally, our hotel is now 100% non-smoking and all rooms are newly renovated. The next time you are in Kalamazoo, we invite you to return and experience for yourself our transformed property.