“Friendly staff and great value”

Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I have stayed at this Red Roof many times. The staff is great, especially Craig. I have watched him work and he is friendly and helpful to all the guests. This is a great place to stay when you don't want to waste your money on things you don't need or won't use (swimming pools, fitness rooms, etc.) Although they don't offer breakfast, there is fantastic coffee available for free in the lobby 24/7. The building is relatively new and it is well-maintained and clean. I particularly enjoy the larger all-inclusive king-sized rooms, which include a lot more space, an office chair and work station, a microfridge, etc. I also like the location. It's a safe area of town not too close to downtown and the university but not too far away either. Honestly, I would have no reason to want to stay at any other hotel in the area. ...Review by Richard (graduate student at Western Michigan, originally from Natchez, Mississippi)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U

Reviewed October 12, 2010

When I entered the room it was stale. Then I determined it smelled like feet. The fixtures and furniture were fine but the room was just plain dirty.

There were several hairs in the tub, and not just from someone's head. There was a corn chip on the floor under the air conditioning unit.

The bed had dingy yellow sheets that were so thin I could see a blood stain on the mattress cover bellow.

There was no blow-dryer or coffee pot in the room. This would have been a decent room if only someone had cleaned it and removed the stained mattress cover, and put on some clean crisp sheets.

I was so exhausted from traveling in the car all day I did not demand a refund but I can tell you I will avoid Red Roof Inns in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I had a one night stay at the Red Roof Inn in Kalamazoo, MI. I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the room. The floor, the bathroom and the beds were are very clean and tidy. The sheets and blanket were really nice. There was plenty of lighting in the room. I appreciated the free WiFi. The rate was TERRIFIC.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The hotel room is decent looking,the bathroom is quite small and the sink is OUTSIDE the bathroom. Ample parking. Craig was absolutely wonderful. From the second we came through the door he was happy and very welcoming. He will provide you with anything you need. I lost my charger or left it at home,and craig actually had a whole box full of chargers and GAVE me the charger,I wasn't expected that,it was great.Besides the people that seem to stay here for permanent residency,it is an okay hotel. It's cheap. I wouldn't recommend a week or anything,but for 1 or 2 days,it's just fine. Plus its right down the street from the university and right off the highway!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I stayed at the Red Roof during a recent 6 month training course in Kalamazoo. Its location was close to two major crossroads in town that allowed for quick access. The staff was great, especially Craig, who was always willing to help check me in and out around my revolving schedule. The room was what is expected from a value hotel, but had the perks of being quiet, free wireless high speed and a great 24hr free coffee station.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

Craig, the front desk trainer at our Red Roof Inn saved the day. My wife had booked one night for three week ends at the Red Roof Inn through Expedia. When we arrived at the hotel the desk had no record of our reservation for this weekend or the next two! Craig, who was working the desk, got right on the phone with expedia. He worked with us and the expedia people to get the snag worked out. Craig's assistance to us was supportive, prompt, polite, and thorough. He got the expedia snag worked out and then got us reserved for the next two weekends. No doubt about it - Craig saved the day! We will definitely book at this Red Roof Inn as long as the staff are as helpful and friendly as Craig was! Thanks, Craig!

1  Thank spindr2003
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Craig and the staff do a good job of making your stay pleasant. If you have to travel for extended periods and work from the road you could do a lot worse for your money. I am here for two months and would recommend this hotel to my brothers in the trade unions.