“Clean, decent rooms, could be better value for the $$”

Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Clean, decent rooms, could be better value for the $$”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed in a first floor double Queen. Customer service was friendly, helpful. The room was updated, very clean, no ick about. Very close to K College, Western Michigan U and the hwy, so it's a good place to stay for students, parents/businesspeople on a budget, cheap travellers in general...but it felt geared toward single male travellers, judging by the TV channels-news, sports, HBO and USA (what, no PBS?).
But can tell why it's so cheap-mattresses were thin, and there's no mesh curtain between the blackout one, so you must shut the blackout curtain if you want any privacy in daylight. Also the front desk didn't have any plastic cutlery available when the carryout place had forgotten ours.

Little extras like that go a long way. But they did provide directions and restaurant menus when we asked.

Overall, decent place for a cheap stay but if you can spare some extra $$ I'd advise staying at another hotel or one of the local BnB's for a better value.

Room Tip: Bring your own food/serve ware...no breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review. We are so pleased that you are enjoyed the customer service that was provided.

We are very sorry that your mattress was not what you expected, we are also sorry that we did not have silverware available for you. This is something that we should always have on hand and we will review our procedures to make sure that it doesn’t happen in the future.

Please know that feedback from our guests is always appreciated as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope that you will stay with us again when you are in Kalamazoo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am a guest at the Red Roof Inn on 11th St. in Kalamazoo, MI. I am staying here temporarily as I am looking for an apartment. I must say, my stay here has been most delectable! The staff is the most team-oriented staff that I have had the pleasure of coming in contact with. If I am perceptive at all, I would guess that the preceding is conducive to proficient management. Craig, in the front lobby, was very courteous and adept. Cindy, that signs her name with a heart, was proficient and amiable. Steve, I think a maintenance man, was amiable and helpful as well.

A Satisfied Customer,

Theresa M. Gillett

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a wonderful review. We are so pleased that you are enjoying your stay and the service that is being provided.

I will make sure to share your comments with Craig, Cindy, Steve and the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

It is truly a pleasure having you as our guest.
richmond, mic
Reviewed September 18, 2012

we stayed there this past weekend and craig told us all the places we needed to go even gave us maps and marked them out for us first class guy.he should be up for promotion hes that good and very kind. he has helped me out in the past by printing off maps and giving me places to go like the donut place thats awesome down the road. room should have 4 towels in is my only complaint but they will give you more if you ask. I will be staying there again so it was a nice area to stay in close to most things you need.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the service that Craig provided

I will make sure to share your comments with Craig and the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I've slept in worse hotels, but it really could have used a cleaning. There was dirt and hair all along the floorboard. The "white" sheets you could see stains in. I'm not sure if I brought the three bugs I saw during my stay in with the food that I brought in but I did see bugs. I think that's worth noting.

Besides that the people at the front desk were extremely helpful and friendly. It was a great location off the highway. The bed was comfortable (minus my fear of bugs). It was a safe location my car packed with stuff made it through the night. The check out is 12pm which is rather nice.

It was overall you pay what you get for. Are there cleaner hotels? I'm sure. But I'm also sure it'd cost you 20-30 more dollars to get them so if you don't mind a little dirt..maybe bring your own blanket? I mean I was just paying for a place to crash and a roof over my head to keep me safe. Which is exactly what I got.

If anyone from Red Roof reads this, your coffee is terrible. Please find better coffee sources. :(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Thank you for letting us know we exceeded your expectations in relation to our team handling you needs as a guest. I apologize you did not have a similar experience in your impression of the room appearance.

We strive to provide a clean and safe environment for all of guests and we will work to ensure the level of the room experience matches the level of the guest experience. I hope we can show a great overall experience the next time you are visiting.
Detroit
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We walked in, the room was dirty and smelled like smoke, very stale smoke. Walked out to the parking lot, there is a used condom laying in the parking lot. My husband went and complained and they said they had one room left. Because of our tight schedule, we didn't have time to switch. Upon checking out in the morning, again we complained. The clerk said they would take $30.00 off of our room. Come to find out they have charged the whole amount to our credit card saying we had an opportunity to change rooms. We are disputing it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I apologize for your experience at our inn. Not only is our goal to provide a nice place for a nice price to all our guests but we strive to achieve a level of safety and cleanliness that exceeds all of our guest’s expectations. We strive to meet all of our guests needs and I apologize are attempts to correct your experience did not leave you with a better overall experience that we hope for. We would love for the chance to show you a great experience the next time you are in town.
Saginaw, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just right with pets. The front desk (Brittany & Jenn) were excellent. They always had a smile on their face. Great place to stay. The building is older but understandable. The rooms were updated with new tv's. Room smelled clean. Not enough towels but front desk accommodated.
Will stay again

Room Tip: Good place for a night stay with pets.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
tnortham, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo West - Western Michigan U, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a wonderful review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the customer service that Jenn and Brittany provided.

I will make sure to share your comments with Jenn, Brittany and the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We are very happy that we were able to make you and your pets stay an enjoyable one.

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Found a used condom in the trash can when I checked into my room in the trash can. Also when I checked they would only give me 2 double beds because I booked on hotwire. The place is run down, staff rude and the inconvenience of having to go to near the front office every time for ice makes it a place I will never stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We always appreciate feedback from our guests.

I apologize for the experience that you had at our inn. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of all of our guests and provide a clean and safe environment. I have reminded my team of this and our procedures for preparing a room for a guests arrival. I hope you will give us another opportunity to not only meet but exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.