“It was o.k.”

Add it.
Bennucci's
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our main reason for trying Bennucci's Restaurant was that it is located in the building of the former Cork & Cleaver, which we had enjoyed during past visits to Kalamazoo. Of course we were not expecting a duplicate of "the Cork" but couldn't help making comparisons: The interior of this eatery was not as attractive and cozy. The front of the restaurant is a boisterous bar with closely set tables and a small stage at the far end where a solo guitarist was giving a good performance. That night the room was very crowed with birthday revelers. We could hear the celebrants quite well and the musician, not so well, in the adjoining room where lighting was not intimate or subdued. Overhead lights were distracting and too intense. I should have worn a visor. Carpeted floors appeared dingy. The seating was comfortable enough, but the table tops and arms of the chairs were sticky to the touch. Our server was knowledgeable a pleasant and did make a good effort. Food presentation was plain and perfunctory. The steak was cooked correctly, was flavorful, but not of top quality, which explained the moderate price. The chicken breast was moist, not overcooked, and so large that we took some home. The salads were very fresh with a generous quantity of good quality mixed greens, but the vinegary dressings were probably bottled by an average restaurant supplier. The blue cheese dressing was thin, tart, and had a timid blue cheese flavor. Wine and cocktail prices were quite reasonable. The manhattans the bartender made were excellent: the best we've had in the past year, including those from some very upscale restaurants. Although our dining experience was o.k., we will probably explore other table service restaurants when we visit Kalamazoo again. We do think that a pleasant dining ambience and attractive presentation enhance the enjoyment of the meal. Unlike the photo on the website, there were no table linens, which is why I noticed the sticky table tops.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

i have never sat in to eat here but the food is fabulous! I used to stay across the street for business and I would look forward to the stay just for some Chicken Alfredo at Bennuci's! If you are staying at a hotel nearby you get 10% off plus they deliver. Skip Olive Garden and go here!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is one of those places with way too many items on the menu, and most items feature way too many ingredients. Settling on basic items like a Reuben, a steak and a burger, each of us in our party of three was disappointed in the food. I was quite hungry and couldn't even eat half of the Reuben, it was so bad - no flavor at all. My husband said his steak was tough. Our friend called her burger "mediocre" and didn't finish it. When we reported our disappointment to the server, she simply raised her eyebrows and brought our check, no adjustments offered. The place was quite noisy, but the singer entertaining was very good - he was the best thing about this place. I will never go back, and would not suggest this place to anybody who has any palate at all.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is the "Cheers" of Kalamazoo. It is a friendly, home town place. The food is all homemade and great.

1  Thank Blondie282828
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was staying near by for the night and read all the reviews for a fair chance at good dinner.
Ambiance is lacking. I suggest not sitting close to the bar, the crowd was loud. Looked like a regular watering hole for older crowd. Service was slow. They could have used one more waitress. I asked for how the chicken piccata was, she said very good and a new house special.
So I rolled the dice and gambled on it. LOSER, not the best, in fact it was made with Alfredo sauce, not the stock, lemon juice and capers I know. I should have tried the spaghetti and meat balls. Burnt again.