“Stay was okay”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The staff was very pleasant and the room was okay. However, the internet went down around 10:00 PM on the night I was there and I checked out around 8:15 AM the next morning and it still wasn't available. I needed the access so this was very inconvenient. I'm sure the front desk was called numerous times and was unable to provide an explanation or a timeline on when it would be back on line.

In addition, I received a recommendation for a restaurant, Bennucci's Chicago Oven & Grill, that was okay at best although they honored the 10% discount for the Holiday Inn Express referral.

Room Tip: If you have to use the internet for business I'd check out other hotels.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for submitting a review on TripAdvisor. The hotel was made aware of the internet situation around 8pm on the evening of your reservation. It turned out that the power supply to our wireless access points had fried. We had a replacement overnighted to us and had the internet up and running the following morning around 10am. I know that this did not help in your particular situation, however, I sincerely hope that you will return knowing that the issue has been fixed. Again, thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

the cheap construction of the building results in street noise and sounds from other guest rooms. Breakfast is typical mid-western fare, go early if you want bacon. Prices seem to vary considerably - when I stayed an extra night the rate went up about $10 from the previous night which I had booked on Orbitz. If you have to stay on the east side of Kalamazoo, this is an acceptable, if not outstanding, option.

Room Tip: The Sprinkle Road side is probably slightly quieter than the rooms closed to the freeway.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all constructive criticism and do our best to improve based upon it. Once again, thank you for your valued opinion.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

First time at Holiday Inn Express, usually stay at Hampton Inn or other Hilton Brands. One disappointment after another:

1. Second night, the cooling system by the window would not come on no matter what I tried. It finally turned itself on at 3 am and then I woke up freezing (since I had turned it to High cool). It worked the first night.

2. Beds not real comfortable...

3. The card showing the TV channels is very out of date. There are like 100 channels but impossible to find what you want.

4. The treadmills look like collector's items. (from the 70s?). Worse, when running, the belt periodically catches and you lunge forward a bit. I had to use it since it was raining out...I had to run at a slow speed to be safe. Also, the treadmill makes such a horrid sqeaking noises that you can't hear the TV even when the TV is on max volume (100).

5. No lids for coffee cups at breakfast - so can't get a refill for the drive to work.

6. The internet card says to connect to "Holiday Inn Express On-Wifi" network - except there are like 6 different versions of this Holday Inn Express on-wifi-1, 2, 3.....etc. Most do not work (no internet connection). You have to try one after another to find one that will connect to the Internet.

7. Awakened every morning by the thumping on the ceiling from the person walking in the room above me at 5:30 am.

so....not a disaster....just a bunch of annoying things many of which could be corrected with a tiny bit of concern for customer experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for sharing the constructive feedback. I have taken note of all your concerns and improvements are being made. For any future stays or prospective guests reading this review I would like to address a few of your concerns now.

We do have lids for our coffee cups. They are located to the right of the coffee station and in front of the coffee cups. I sincerely apologize if the lids were not there when you departed.

Also, we do have 6 different access points throughout the hotel. One at each end of the hall on every floor. This is to ensure that every room will have at least one access point with high connectivity. Therefore, depending on where your room was located would explain why some of the wifi connections you used did not have a very strong signal or work at all.

Next, you will be happy to know that the treadmills are in the process of being replaced, as are the in room TV Channel lists.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback. We do have high concern for customer experience here. The guest comfort & satisfaction are our top priorities.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Angel was there every day and did a great job at the front desk. I called her for my wake up in the evening and she was there when I checked out. Breakfast bar excellent clean, well organized and taken care of. Pool looked to be very nice.

Room Tip: Had a first floor corner room parked right outside the door.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

I appreciate that you took the time to review how great Angel at the front desk was! She will be receiving an incentive for having her name mentioned. Also, I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed breakfast. The employees here truly love customer service and it is always lovely to read acknowledgement of a job well done! Thanks again and we look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel was clean. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was good (didn't seem like a lot of choices) Rooms were clean no issues except tub had a few chips in it, No whirl pool, but has a nice pool area. Exercise area looked clean and saw people using equipment.

Room Tip: Ask for upper level. A little noisey on first floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

It means so much to us that you took the time to comment on the consistency of our Brand! A huge thank you from the staff in Kalamazoo! We work very hard to ensure all of our guest have the same experience at every Holiday Inn Express and your review reassures us that we are doing our part!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Probably one of the nicest places we've stayed in this area in the last couple of years. Clean rooms, comfy beds, bathroom spacious and well appointed. Very quiet- as I was afraid there might be some road noise but it was very, very peaceful. And the rates were good also (we had checked around). Not familiar with restaurants here so we asked the front desk lady, and she sent us to a great steak restaurant. I felt like we were on vacation here - everyone was so nice and accommodating. Everytime we walked by the front desk, they acknowledged us and asked how our stay was - and seemed genuine about it. And (my big pet peeve) they got our wake up call done correctly - twice. Yea! If travels take us back to Kalamazoo, I'll be staying here. Thanks!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

I want to thank you for going out of your way to review our hotel. All of your feedback is greatly appreciated and has put a smile on all of our faces. We know you have many choices for a place to stay when visiting Kalamazoo and thank you for choosing us! We look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

After the second night at the hotel I awoke with what appreared to be bug bites on my mid section and back. I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately said that she had killed a large bug crawling on her forehead in the night that she had saved on a towel she used to wipe it off with. She proceeded to show me the bug and it looked VERY similar to a bed bug. We took photos of the bug and bites and then proceeded to the front desk. Upon arrival I informed the front desk manager that we had a bug from our bed in room 216, which my wife brought still on the towel, and I raised my shirtI showing the bites on my lower left back. The front desk manager collected the bug and I photographed it next to a magnetic room key to represent scale. Initialy, the front desk manager, Angel, stated that she needed to contact her manager. She had one of the cleaning crew personnel look at the bug. They were all very quick to state that no one could be sure it was a bed bug. Clearly they had been coached previously to deny any possibility of infestations. Angel asked that we return after she had an opportunity to speak to her General Manager. My wife and I returned to the room to pack out and do a little closer inspection of the bed. I found what appeared to be two additional bugs, smaller than the first, attached to the matress cover pad on my side of the bed. I collected these in a cup to take back to the front desk manager. After completing the pack out we returned to the front desk. I presented the additional bugs to the front desk manager. The front desk manager, Angel, was appolgetic and stated that the room would be closed for inspection and possible treatment. I told her that the hotel should inform the guests of the large wedding party we were staying with because of risk to familes and small children. The hotel was accomodating to my wife and I and Angel was professional. Angel stated that someone from management would call us when they (upper management) had a positive identity on what the bugs were. Unless the bugs are sent to a specialists I am unsure how this can be confirmed professionaly and that does not ease my mind as to the bites and possible illnesses or infections they may cause. I would not recommend this hotel for a stay and it is unlikely that my wife and I will stay at a Holiday Inn Express again. I am also not convinced that other guests have/had been informed.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank TwoTree
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay with us. We take pride in providing exceptional service and comfortable accommodations to all of our guests, and I apologize that your stay fell short of those expectations. As part of our commitment to provide our guests with a clean and safe hotel room, not only did we compensate you for the situation by taking care of your two night stay but we also have several safeguards in place to prevent insects from assailing our guests. The entire hotel, including guest rooms, lobby, breakfast area, and back of house receives routine preventative measures by a professional pest control company. Additionally, we have in place a comprehensive training program to teach all of our housekeeping staff how to spot the signs of insect presence in any of our rooms. Upon receipt of your complaint, we immediately shut down your room for further inspection by a licensed pest control professional. Most reports of bed bug infestations, while well-intentioned, do not yield any signs of an actual infestation. Per our policy, we shut down your room for percautionary treatment. We also had the canine unit come in and inspect the rooms adjacent to your room, both above and below your room as well as spot checked multiple other rooms throughout the hotel. The canine inspection did not find any signs of bed bug infestation, and we will gladly share this report with you or anyone if requested.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience you suffered during your stay due to this incident and because of our sincere commitment to the Hospitality Promise, we took care of the charges for the two nights you stayed with us. Thank you for your feedback. It is appreciated.