“Spotless - quiet - very new”

Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Spotless - quiet - very new”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed here while on business in Kalamazoo. Located out of town in a quiet spot a couple of minutes from the interstate. A Denny's 2 mins away was good but rooms have full kitchens if you feel so inclined. The hotel is spotless and very modern. Very good value for money and perfect for business. Not gret if staying for more than a couple of days as rooms are only made up once a week.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Our entire staff takes such pride in our beautiful new hotel and we are happy to see that it shows! We thank you for your positive remarks and hope to see you on a return visit to Kalamazoo for either business or leisure.

Debbie Mahone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Kalamazoo, mi
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel for 9 months and will be here several more months. We have always received great service. When we have questions or need assistance, we communitcate to the staff at the front desk and have always received prompt assistance and great service. The hotel is quiet. No highway noise. When the staff found out that it was our anniversary, we arrived back at the hotel that evening to find a card and cake in our room. We appreciated the thoughtfulness of the staff and manager. We use all the facilities at the hotel and have found the exercise and laundry room clean and organized for our use. The hotel sponsors manager appreciation evenings a few times a week and the food is catered by local businesses. The food is good and plentiful. Always enjoyable. The hotel is convenient to restaurants, casinos and events in the Kalamazoo Area and only 30 to 45 minutes to the lake. Great Location!!

Room Tip: Love the 4th floor, quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
The entire Candlewood "family" wishes to extend a sincere thanks to you for your kind words! It is truly rewarding to have the opportunity of serving such valued guests and we appreciate your taking the time to share your comments. We recognize that guests have choices as to their rooming needs ----- and we are absolutely delighted that you chose us! Many Thanks!

Connecticut
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The place was fine. It was very clean. Really, really quiet. No highway noise. No crazy mechanical noises in the walls, etc.

The elevator might be the slowest machine ever. After my first use I just used the stairs. The building is only four floors; I really could not believe how slow the elevator was. Clearly not a big deal.

I don't think there was anywhere to eat in the hotel. I am not totally sure as I was up & out early both of the days I was there and never looked.

The room had a nice kitchen setup. Again, very clean. The bed was comfy and they have the overstuffed pillows like all hotels do these days.

The bathroom was standard with tiling, granite counter sink and fiberglass shower. Their soap/shampoo was the el cheapo stuff.

My only complaint would be the towels. They were really not soothing at all. They were a rough material and more of a rag than a fluffy towel you would like to towel off with.

The hotel had free wi-fi which is good and I now expect to have anywhere I stay.

I had to laugh because I just was at the Westin in Austin, Texas that costs about 4 times what this place costs and they hit me up for $15/day for wi-fi in my room. What a total joke.

The TV seemed to have alot of channels that did not have good reception. I didn't care...I just had ESPN on which came in fine.

Given how clean and quiet the whole place was, I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo. We realize there are numerous hotel options available to you in the area, so thank you choosing to stay with us and give us feedback on your stay. I apologize the elevator did not meet your expectations. We have had our elevator inspected and while no mechanical issues have been detected, I do apologize the speed of operation was not satisfactory to you. While we do not have a restaurant in the hotel, we do have The Candlewood Cupboard, a 24 hour sundries and refreshment area, adjacent to the front desk. There are multiple refreshments as well as meal options available for you in the Cupboard as well as complimentary coffee, tea and fresh fruit. We strive to exceed our guests' expectations with our cleanliness and upkeep of the hotel so we're very pleased that you were happy with the not only the layout of your room, but the cleanliness as well. Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the softness of your towels. After speaking with our Housekeeping Supervisor, it was brought to my attention that we had a glitch in our fabric softener dispenser thus not getting the proper amount of fabric softener on each load of laundry washed. We have thus corrected this problem and the towels now have a softer feel. We truly want every guest to feel as if they are home away from home while staying with us so we have complimentary amenities to reflect just that. We're glad you were able to utilize our complimentary high speed internet access. We have 12 access points for rapid speed connectivity. If you are ever in the area again, we would love the opportunity to exceed your expectations with your overall stay (with freshly softened towels, of course! :) We again want to thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to accommodating you in the future.
Manton
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This was the worst customer service I have ran into at a hotel ever. We had a group of eight rooms reserved two weeks prior to our event in Battle Creek. I personally called customer service on Thursday afternoon before checking in on Friday to make sure our reservation was all ok. At that time I was told by the front desk that all of our room were being locked in as we spoke and everything was good to check in on Friday. Upon our first two families checking in their rooms were told there was no way they could be put next to each other and the entire group was going to be split up. After explaining that we were all to be put together the people checking in at that time were given two different rooms on different floors. When one of our people checked into their room it was dirty and had not been cleaned. After some "shifting around" the guest service some how ended up finding two rooms across from each other. Each family checked with more and more issues. We were given one rooms on the first, second, third, and fourth floor. Needless to say it was the most unprofessional experience I have ever had at a hotel. The communication between one shift to the next was next to nothing. I would NOT recommended staying at this hotel for any group at all. They cannot accommodate due to their "EXTENDED STAY" policy. I have stayed in other Staybridge Hotels and loved them. This does NOT have a pool or FREE breakfast. After all of our troubles we were offered anything out of the food room for free, not what I would consider any type of compensation for the inconvenience we experienced. I made a choice not to take my frustration out on the guest service clerk working the front desk as they didn't seem to have a clue of what was going on from one shift to the next. If I had read the other reviews I would have never reserved rooms at this hotel. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra to go somewhere that has better reviews.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa M
debbiem12, Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
It is always our sincere endeavor to accommodate the requests of each and every one of our valued guests. We recognize guests have a choice in their selection of hotels ----- so we are honored when that choice is Candlewood Suites. In regards to the selection of specific room numbers and the blocking of rooms together, though we make every attempt to honor these requests (and are usually able to do so), it is occasionally impossible for us to do so due to other in-house guests that may choose to extend their stay longer than anticipated. Such a scenario is very typical in any extended-stay brand hotel. Consequently, though we are able to guarantee a guest's specific room type and rate, we are unfortunately unable to always guarantee that their room blocks of 5, 10, or 20+ rooms are all together. In this particular case, we are happy to say that we were able to keep all but one of the guest rooms in the block together with the other rooms. After redistributing our inventory for the day, we were, in fact, able to offer the guest a room near their block, but they declined and opted not to move. We do apologize if the guest feels that the compensation offered was insufficient; however due to the numerous guest complaints we received from individual members of this group as a result of noise and disruption, we were unable to offer more in terms of complensation. We are happy that we were able to achieve overall satisfaction from the group stay, as was indicated by the comments of several individual members of the group at check out; and we appreciate the opportunity of serving them.

Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel is as good as new. It is 2 minutes from the Wings Hockey stadium, and there are several Restaurants within 5 minutes. the rooms all have kitchens, very nice beds, and plenty of TV stations. We totally enjoyed our stay. The room was also spotless.

Room Tip: Any of them should be fine
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
We are truly happy that we were able to accommodate you and your party and that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our sincere goal that every guest that stays with us leaves with a lasting favorable experience. We strive to excel in the maintenance and upkeep of our hotel so we thank you for your choosing to stay with us and hope that if ever in the area again you will stay with us again.

Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I've patronized this establishment numerous times secondary to my job. Every time I've stayed at this hotel, I'm impressed with the quality of service I've received. I specifically appreciate their attention to detail regarding room cleanliness. Although some might regard the fact that the hotel is next to an industrial complex as a negative, I could care less. The area in which it's located is safe and easily accessible to the interstate which was my main concern. Great stay; will definitely return. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for choosing to not only stay with us, but for being a loyal repeat guest as well! We truly value all of our repeat guests and appreciate your taking the time to express your satisfaction with our hotel. It is our goal to deliver memorable service and maintain a clean environment for our guests to feel comfortable, safe and refreshed while away from home. Next time you are in the area, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed at this property for about 7 weeks for a consulting project in Kalamazoo. As is usually the case with my projects, I have little to no choice in my lodging. To that end, I was booked into this property for my stay.

The property is situated at the east end of Kalamazoo, and - aside from a closed automotive plant nearby - is largely set alone in what seems to have been an aborted business/corporate park. The property opened in October 2009, but in many ways, it feels like it is much newer than that. The room I was given - on the second floor, just around the corner from the elevator - was in such good shape that it felt as if I were the first person to occupy it.

The suite was more than spacious for my needs. The decor was pleasing and comfortable. The bed was extremely comfortable. Storage space was ample and well-situated. The bathoom was laid out well, and didn't feel cramped. The kitchenette was more than adequate, and well-appointed to be able to prepare basic meals. A flat-screen, HD television was in the room, and the channel selection was more than adequate. Also included was a DVD player, which was very convenient, as I tend to bring a couple with me on travel. (DVD's were also available at the front desk for borrowing). Climate control was easy to use and was in good working order.

Internet access was free of charge for wi-fi. They provided an access code that you had to enter in once every 24 hours for access, and that code was changed at the first of each month. Generally, the wi-fi worked well, but increasingly on the last 2-3 weeks of my stay, there were frequent periods where the connection seemed "choppy" and slow, which was a minor annoyance.

The rooms were largely quiet for the duration of my stay. However, I believe that was a function of there being so few guests staying at the property while I was there. There were very few "busy" nights, but the hotel was rarely anywhere near what seemed to be full occupancy. That being said, the construction of the property seemed a little bit on the thin side, as guest noise from adjacent rooms or in the suite above was more than audible at various times.

Housekeeping services were provided once a week (usually a week from the day you checked in), though they did have notices that extra towels or linens could be obtained from the front desk if necessary. There was a good on-site laundry facility that was free of charge for the guests. Adjacent to that was a very satisfactory exercise room, with a wide range of equipment kept in good working order. There was a very basic business center, though I didn't use it very much during the course of my stay. A "pantry" room with a variety of snacks and beverages was also on-site, and was largely similar to what you find in most other hotels of this type.

No breakfast service was provided for guests, which was a minor annoyance, but not necessarily a detriment overall. Two to three times each week, the hotel would hold a "manager's reception" in the evenings, featuring food brought in from various restaurants on a cyclical basis (Qdoba, Little Caesar's Pizza, and a local catering company, to name a few).

Customer service varied; while there were one or two people who were always polite and engaging - a young lady named Odessa, for one - the overall impression was a staff that was generally disengaged. Often times when I was entering or exiting the property, you might not see the front desk staffer, or he/she may not even acknowledge you from where they were seated behind a computer that practically hid them. Every now and then, it didn't even seem like anyone was staffing the desk, which was a little bit disconcerting, if only because there was no kind of guest security (e.g., keycard access) for entry and access to the guest floors.

I referenced the location of the hotel earlier. There are a few fast-food and chain restaurants nearby the property, but none that are generally in walking distance. Also, the property is largely removed - at least a few miles - from downtown and any shopping of consequence, so having a vehicle is almost essential.

Overall, my experience at this property was nice. There were a few minor drawbacks, but was one of the more clean and comfortable places where I have stayed in my years of business travel. I would recommend this property to business travelers who have work in the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek area, and even to travelers passing through for a night or two on the way to other destinations.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
debbiem12, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback. It is this type of feedback that helps us make our services even better. We are delighted to say that our internet is now rapidy fast, as we have 12 access points throughtout our facility. Additionally, our hotel is not only remotely monitored for security, but each of our three entrances require key card access for added guest security. It is our endeavor to ensure that each and every one of our valued guests receive the utmost in service and in feeling secure. Again, we thank you for your constructive feedback and hope that you return to Candlewood Suites should you visit the Kalamazoo area again.

Sinerely,