“home away from home”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester Hills, MI, United States
“home away from home”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We go to the other side of MI often to visit our grandchild. This is our preferred hotel. The rooms are large with a couch and small kitchenette. The TV has plenty of channels. The water pressure is good. The breakfast has plenty of choices including hot items. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. The lobby is large yet comfy with group areas of seating. There are chairs outside if you prefer and an indoor pool and fitness center. We feel very at home here.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Yvonne,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel! We appreciate your kind words, and are very happy top be your "home away from home." Your feedback is very important to us and our future guests, and we are grateful to you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We look forward to seeing you again in the future on your next visit to see your grandchild.

Please feel free to contact me directly at any time if I can be of any assistance in the future. Thanks again, we will see you soon.

Best Regards,

Steven

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I was disappojted with the look of Best Western, Kalamazoo, MI. It was by far the most run down hotel I have ever stayed. It desperately needs new carpet everywhere. It looks dirty, stained and gives the hotel a bad appearance when you walk right in.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Scott C,

I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay while a guest of ours. I will immediately be looking into what can be done right away to freshen and brighten the carpeting and lobby.

ORD
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Dated decor and non-existent customer service. Hotel was just creepy..... didn't know where the front lobby was. Room was average, but again dated, and not very clean. Not much staff around to assist, and the "free breakfast" didn't begin until 7AM... I needed to leave each day by 6:30.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing a review regarding your recent stay at our property.

Thank you for your time and comments,

-Steven
Pinckney, Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My name Chris Minke and I'm frequent business traveler that spends between 60-80 nights a year in hotels. Today a friend of mine and I decided to take a last minute trip to Kalamazoo for the night.

While I typically don't use a service like Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, etc .. I decided to so after looking at your rack rate vs what Hotwire was offering. I knew that I would either end up staying either with you, Holiday Inn or the Hilton Garden Inn. I have already stayed at the other two but not your property. I selected a room for (2) adults and after booking I was informed I'd be staying at your hotel.

When I arrived to check in a few hours later the front desk clerk ( Terrell Lockett) was busy looking at his computer and informed me he'd be with me shortly. After waiting approximately 3-5 minutes he finally asked if he could help me. I gave him my name and he confirmed my reservation. He said " ok so I have a queen single room for you". I polietly explained that it was myself and my married male friend and asked if we could get 2 double beds instead. His response was short - " nope I've got nothing like that". I then said well that won't work so could please just cancel our reservation? Once again "nope - can't do that, you'll need to talk to a manager."

Ok - fair enough so I asked to please talk to a manager. He laughed and said " it's the 4th of July, there's no manager available...". At that point I asked if he could at least call someone? "Nope - come back tomorrow"..

I am honestly dumbfounded that this gentleman could have cared less to help ( if he would have offered a rollaway we would have been fine) and indicated that zero management was available due to the holiday.

I am now staying 2 blocks down the road at Red Roof in. My credit card has been charged $93 for a room at your hotel that I never used nor even checked in for. I have never been treated with such disrespect in 30 years of business travel.

Obviously I will contact Hotwire to see what type of company they are and what they're willing to do to remedy this unpleasant situation. I'm curious what your response will be to this as well. The one thing I do know is that as a business owner I wouldn't have Terrell Lockett in a customer service position ..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chris M
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Coffee pot still had a used filter in it; when i pulled back the bedspread, a piece of a nut of some kind fell out. Not sure why i need to fill out the full 200 characters when my comments are complete

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Linda N,

Thank you for your response and review of our hotel. I am glad to see that you found the service and quality of the hotel to be good. I apologize for any housekeeping issues you may have experienced while our guest, as this is not a common experience. I will be discussing your comments with the housekeeping manager to make sure they are addressed immediately. Thank you for your feedback.

Southfield, MI, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The room was very nicely appointed but the air conditioning did not work. The thermostat on the wall had to be either on or off. If you turned it to auto it kept making the room 71 degrees no matter what you set it at. The shower gave a light rain water effect and nothing else. If you adjusted it then it dribbled. There is no shelf in the shower so soap and shampoo go on the floor of the shower.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Elaine B,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, and we hope that next time we can give you that "perfect" stay. I would love to be able to look into the issue you were experiencing with your Heating/Cooling unit, as all the thermostats should all be able to be set to the exact comfortable temperature for each individual guest. If you have a moment to follow up, please contact me directly to provide the room number for the suite you stayed in so I can look into this immediately.

Steven - 269.350.5522
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My spouse and I stopped here for one night on our way to another town. This is a four story hotel and rooms are huge. There is a small refrigerator and microwave in the room, though we didn't utilize either during our stay. The shower has great water pressure and plenty of towels are available. Sample size toiletries include soap, makeup remover wipe, shampoo and conditioner.

The beds are softer than usual. I was surprised when the bed was turned down that there were a few crumbs on the fitted sheet a couple small brown stains. Had we planned on staying longer I probably would have said something to management. But it was late and we just wanted some sleep and then be on our way.

Breakfast buffet is satisfying with make-your-own waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs, sausage, cold cereals, yogurt, english muffins, bread for toasting, and fresh fruit. All served on disposable ware. Coffee is hot and served in paper cups. Staff are attentive to replenishing stock.

There is a pool and workout room near the lobby but we did not use either during this stay.

Staff at desk was helpful with directions around town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest Blues-Ct,

Thank you very much for leaving such a detailed review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the size and set up of the room, and were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast buffet. Thank you for your comments about the room and staff so I can pass these along accordingly.

Take care,