“K'zoo best western”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Jenison, Michigan
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We came to this Best Western for a single night in order to swim and then visit the Air Zoo the next day. We weren't expecting the Taj Mahal but we were disappointed none-the-less. It looks as if they are trying hard to keep the hotel looking modern with up-dated looking furnishings and carpet but it's very hard to disguise the old "bones" with only surface treatments. First the pros - the room was very large and could actually handle our family with 4 kids. It was the perfect setup for us. Now the cons - The rusty door frames, grunge in the bathroom corners, holes in the sheets, chips in the glass toiletries dish, broken and loose tiles and dust everywhere really brought the whole place down. I also noticed dried drips on the doors in our room and the walls in the stairwells. It doesn't look as though the rooms (or the hallways) get a real deep cleaning very often. When I looked under the furniture to make sure no stray items were getting left behind I was really grossed out by the dust, crumbs and other junk (pen tops, bits of plastic etc). We could hear the guests above us walking around in their room very clearly. They were not running or stomping - just walking. The pool area was really gross. The ceiling was literally peeling apart and there was a large piece of plywood to cover-up a hole. The plywood was moldy and looked as if it had been there a long time. I cringed when I walked on the floor barefoot and tried not to look in the corners so that my reaction wouldn't spoil the kids' trip (I am not a squeamish person - I've spent a lot of time in locker rooms and pool areas in my life). On top of all that there was a group of very loud, obnoxious kids that took over the pool and made it hard to swim in the shallow end with my 2 year old. Unfortunately, the hotel can't control the personalities of their guests so that really isn't their fault. But it just made the experience that much worse. Also, there was so much chlorine in the water that my eyes burned just being in the pool area. My husband went down to the breakfast area in the morning and came back disgusted. He said the guests were acting like cattle to the trough trying to get their free breakfast - elbowing their way in to get what they wanted. He stayed long enough to get some coffee and juice and we headed out to a local place for a decent hot breakfast. I guess this hotel served it's purpose but I if I make plans to come back to the area I will look elsewhere for my hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
StevenHatto, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel, we appreciate your comments in our effort to continuously improve. I am glad that you found the size of the room and accommodations comfortable for your family during your travels. I would like to personally apologize that you found the cleanliness of the room lacking, and for the behavior of our other guests. We do appreciate your business and comments and will be looking in to how to correct these issues immediately.

Best Regards,

Steven
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

One elevator for the entire hotel which wasn't functioning. The hotel was stinking of chlorine throughout the ground floor. The breakfast area wasn't inviting/spacious. Staff was friendly. Although the cleaning staff was nowhere to be seen throughout our stay as everything appeared as if it wasn't cleaned in months

• Stayed March 2013
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Mustafa M,

Thank you for your comments on our hotel, your time is appreciated. I apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. I appreciate hearing that the staff was helpful during your stay, but we will be looking into your comments regarding the housekeeping of your suite. We take cleanliness very seriously, and want to make sure that all guest receive a clean and comfortable suite. I am sorry to hear that you experienced an issue with our hotel elevator. I can assure you that the elevator is functioning, regularly maintained and serviced, and completely safe for use.

Thank you again for your comments, we will be using them to better our guest experience.

-Steven
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I spent one night at this hotel. Upon arrival it took about 8 minutes for anyone to appear at the front desk (about 8pm on a Friday night). When I went down later for a question (because the phone in the room was out) it took about 12 minutes. They are obviously understaffed and undertrained.

While the room is nicely appointed (the bed very comfortable with lovely linens), there were multiple unsolved problems. The phone didn't work (resulting in several trips to the front desk) and there were obviously clumps of dirt (I hope it was dirt) around the refrigerator. The heating unit had no dials (see later) and it was overheated.

When I very nicely mentioned these things to the clerk in the morning, there was no "I'm sorry." He said, didn't you notice the thermostat? He never apologized and made me feel like I was stupid for the complaints that I had. He was dismissive and didn't even say goodbye, thank you for your business. In this day and age, you can't have customer service like that and be successful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear ProfMellie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. I am aware that the weekends can be quite busy in the evening, but apologize for your wait to be helped, and we will be looking in to properly staffing during these times based on your comments. I do apologize that the room was not a comfortable temperature for you. We did install the digital thermostats in all rooms to help our guests regulate the climate, and the controls are no longer on the heating units. I do apologize that the staff did not handle this more efficiently and politely for you.

I hope that you will consider staying with Best Western again so we can have another opportunity to serve you.

Thanks again,

-Steven
Saline, MI
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We went here for a college visit and stayed one night. Room was huge. Bright lights outside the windows, shades wouldn't shut completely. Cleanliness of hotel was ok. Vacuming needed in elevator and closet in our room. Had a dog above us, could hear him running around and the walking upstairs ALOT. Thankfully, not late at night. Kitchen in room was nice. I don't know if it was the power of suggestion from another review, but I was a little bed bug paranoid. Lock/Key Card was finicky. Staff helpful. Breakfast adequate. Conveniently located. Pool looked nice, but chlorine smell in lobby was very over powering. Overall...just ok.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to review our property, we appreciate your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites, we are happy you found them comfortable. I appreciate your positive comments on the helpfulness of the hotel staff, and the selection at the complimentary breakfast. I apologize that the pet above you caused a little disturbance. We are a pet friendly hotel, but if you prefer to be on a pet free floor, or on the top level so that no other guests are above you, please let us know and we will be happy to accommodate the request during your next stay.

Thanks again!
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Room was huge! Staff pleasant and accommodating. My room was a suite which is nice on a business trip. Comfortable mattress and clean sheets. Took a while to get hot water to my room. The PC in the lobby with the printer was nice since I needed to print some documents for work.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StevenHatto, Manager at Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi Denise,

Thank you for your comments, we really appreciate your feedback. We are happy to offer some of the largest rooms in our area, and are glad to hear that you found the space comfortable. I am glad you were able to make use of the business center, if you return this will always be available 24-hours per day.

Thanks again, we hope to see you again!
Detroit, Michigan, Usa
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We take a yearly trip to visit family and have stayed at this property a few times. Over the past few years, there has been a gradual downgrade in its quality. The rooms are OK, but getting a little worn. The staff will help if you ask, but don't go out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property. We appreciate your continued business over the past few years, and hope you keep coming back. We are in the process of making some improvements and upgrades to our guest rooms, and I hope that you notice this upon your next visit. We will continue to work on training the staff to serve your needs, and appreciate your comments. If I can be of any assistance with future reservations, or you would like to elaborate on your comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks again,