“Newly remodeled and very clean”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during a marriage conference weekend. I was kind of leery of making on line reservations in wonders of how the hotel may be, but have had good experiences with other Best Westerns so I made the reservations. I was pleasantly surprised, the place was beautiful, and the smell of fresh paint was nice too! I am kind of a neat freak, so when it comes to hotels I inspect everything in my room! It was so nice and clean and the set up of our room was great too with a jacuzzi bathtub. I love that the room had a mini kitchenette with micro and frig. The breakfast was a bonus too, with hot food included. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it for the price. The girl working the front desk was very nice and really set the scene for a positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina S

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Was visiting Western Mich University w/ my daughter so we needed a place to stay for one night. What a great deal! The rooms are huge, with two queen beds, big chair, sleeper sofa, frig, sink, microwave, desk, free wi-fi, and a 42" HD TV - all for 89 bucks. Rooms very clean, everything looks new. Great included breakfast buffet w/ hot entrees and a very nice lady taking care of things. She even let the patrons know that the buffet would be shutting down in 15 minutes and that we should take food back to our rooms if we wanted to. If my daughter ends up attending WMU, this is where I'll be staying every time I visit.

Room Tip: not needed
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rldace
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed here one night, in town for a funeral. Our room numbers 406 and 409. Both are very spacious rooms. 406 with 2 queens, pull out sofa and a kitchen area with full fridge and stove top. This room could have used better lighting in specific areas, ie the closet space and kitchen area. As the reviewer before stated, the renovation work could have been better, but overall, we were glad of the space and only being there one night it was more than worth the price. Room 409 has a king size bed with a sitting area and kitchen also, under counter fridge but still very spacious also. I was told our travel companions were very satisfied with the room and the rate also.

Room Tip: these rooms had showers but no tubs.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank wearegohen
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the BW Plus outside of Kzoo. Gotta good price, and the hotel was definitely worth it. I think they recently remodeled the place. Good and bad. Good because it is updated and the rooms are very big. Bed was awesome. Bad because whoever did the remodel was not a skilled contractor. Workmanship kinda poor. But that really didn't affect our stay. Pool and hot tub nice, good breakfast. Room had fridge, microwave, sink. All in all, I paid $40 bucks less that the Hampton nearby. So it was worth it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank news37
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed at this property the weekend of January 6th-8th, 2012. We has a total of 3 rooms for our annual Family weekend. The rooms were super large with double kings sized beds and a sofa in each room. They were clean and attractive to walk into. The kitchenette area worked wonderfully for you nightly snack time and we never felt crowded even with the 14 people in our party. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was not the greatest that I have ever had but there were several choices and we were full when we left for a days activites. The only real down side was that the hot tub was not working.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RandiLou
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Our experience didn’t start out well when we had to wait over 10 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk so we could check in. The check in went quickly enough but a simple apology for the wait would’ve been nice.

The hotel has been partially remodeled but like usual when you remodel half of something the other half looks even worse. The furnishings were in general nice but the walls, doors, etc. were very beat up. The hotel had taken the effort to paint over most of the large cracks and other damage to the walls but they didn’t actually patch up the damage itself so it still looked bad. The room was indeed very large which was nice although a couch or some other furniture to actually fill up all that space would be nice. The hallways reeked of smoke (despite the hotel now being non-smoking) as did my room, although the smoke smell in my room was typically overpowered by the urine smell. It smelled like cat urine which I suppose is better than the alternative.

My traveling companion was disturbed enough by the hotel that he wanted to eat breakfast out instead of trusting their breakfast but I said it’d be fine. While I didn’t fear for my health it was another bad experience with both the waffle batter dispenser and the juice dispenser being broken. What bothered me most was that there was no effort to make up for this; they just put an out of order sign on the juice dispenser. There is no reason they couldn’t have put out some pitchers of juice instead.

The other hotels in Kalamazoo I’ve stayed at are the Radisson (overpriced but great location) and the Clarion (not perfect but a heck of a lot better than this place for a similar price). I don’t stay at Best Westerns often and given this experience that’s not likely to change.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ScubaBucky
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Exterior is clean, inside the hotel is clean, suite was clean EXCEPT I notice some dry blood stains on the pillow. I tried to call the front desk nobody answers. Since we were just on the first floor I decided to walk to the front desk. There were two people there...they told me they did not hear anything...guess the phone is out of order. I told them that there are blood stains on the pillow. The man said "You need new pillows?" I said, "of course. would you use it?". No apologies or anything -- he just gave me a new pillow. i would have been forgiving had they just apologized. I am more upset with the staff than the blood stains. I wrote to the management but I wonder if they got it. I did not receive any reply.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family