“Nice revovation, convenient to I-94 and 131”

Best Western Plus Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We spent one night here over Labor Day weekend. The rooms are large, clean, and the carpeting and furniture look new. The common areas are nice and the breakfast was very adequate. Once we replaced 2 light bulbs everything was fine. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the expressway to avoid the road noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The room we had was a 2 bed suite. The entry room was huge with a nice little kitchenette and full size refrigerator. Also a sleeper couch, flat screen tv, and a desk. The beds were comfortable and have new updated bedding. I have a couple of issues with this hotel and that is that the breakfast was not appealing and some customer service issues. A number of times I came to the desk and there was nobody working - no bell or way to alert the staff that a guest was waiting. This to me is also a safety concern. The location is amazing for Western Michigan or Kalamazoo College. There are lots of good places to eat nearby too.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel is spotless and in excellent condition, Rooms are very large with amenities like flat screen TV, desk, kitchenette, eating area, sitting area and desk. Excellent value. Just passing through, can't comment on proximity to Kalamazoo attractions. Restaurants are a few minutes away by car. This hotel is pet friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Booked a two bed suite. The hallway was bright with a nice carpet but when I opened The room, I regretted that I booked this place.

I wanted to take advantage of their stay three separate locations stays get a free night so I opted to stay at BW. The rooms were kinda renovated and I can't imagine what it was before. They have new beds and sofa bed and window covering but they should have fully renovated the bathroom, carpet, lighting and the small things that would have made a difference.

Let's see, the toilet had black stains, the faucet handle was broken, the bathtub looked stained, the bathtub plug was off, the walls were dirty, there was holes in the sheets, dark room and limited lighting and the towels were grey! I thought that maybe we just got a bad set so we asked for extra towels but they were the same except for one! I thought maybe it the lighting but the facecloth were white. I've been in motels that have thin white towels before which I was okay but having grey towels just doesn't sit well with me.

I was so disappointed at myself that I didn't do my due diligence in finding a decent place to stay for my family. We didn't even bother with the breakfast the next day.

The mattress was decent and it was actually new, saw the mattress peaking out on the side.

Also had dinner at a place called Rustica in downtown Kalamazoo which had great food. Also noticed a Staybridge closely. Should have stayed there instead.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting area attractions. The staff was very courteous and helpful. We had a minor problem with a chair in the room, which I reported to the front desk in person. Before I could get back to our room (4th floor), the maintenance man was already there waiting. He was able to fix it withing about 5 minutes and returned it to the room. I have never had that fast of service at any hotel for a maintenance need! Our room was very spacious, clean and well appointed. Housekeeping did a wonderful job each day of our stay and in a timely manner. The hotel is in a quiet, safe area. Plenty of restaurants nearby and easy access to the major highways. Breakfast was plentiful with the typical waffle, sausage, danish, cereal, etc. Common areas kept very clean at all times. The only flaw that I could find to mention was the elevator. It is quite noisy, but operates just fine. Just a little scary the first time until you realize that it makes the same sound each time when passing the second floor and other points. Also, ice machines not on every floor. I would definitely stay here again when in the area. We booked this online and received a great 3 night discounted rate.

Room Tip: Look for discounted online rates through hotel website.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We arrived late on a Wednesday night with our dogs in tow for the big Premier dog show in town. The lady at the front desk was so nice and accomodating to us and she made check in a pleasure. The room was spotless and it was HUGE! The beds were oh so comfortable and the temperature control worked like a charm. I wanted to take those comforters and pillows home with me!

The staff was always very nice and friendly to us and our dogs throughout our whole stay.

We made for certain we didn't have barking dogs, and I am disappointed that others did not have the same curtesy! I did witness a staff member politely asking someone across the hall from us to keep their dogs quiet and I was extremely impressed with their professional attitude and tone.

This isn't the cheapest hotel in town and for good reason - you pay a little extra for quality and great service! We WILL be back to this hotel in the future! Thank you for making our stay so pleasant!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Stayed here for three nights when my original hotel had lost power. Rooms were very nicely sized, bed was comfy, lots of noise in the halls one of the three weeknnights I stayed there. Breakfast was not special, I ate out all three days. The desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful with the exception of one employee.

The room wasn't cleaned as well as I'd have liked, with the same long black hairs in the shower three days running. The same spill in the kitchette area didn't get cleaned either.

All and all, I wouldn't have even been in Michigan except for work, and hopefully won't be going back anytime soon. But if I HAD to stay in the K-zoo area and needed a place to stay, this is one of the better ones there, judging by the few I checked out.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business