“Simply the best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
Hamden, Connecticut
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I've traveled the world and stayed in every conceivable variety of hotel or B&B. The Kalamazoo House and its proprietors, Laurel and Terry, are simply the best. The House is gorgeous, the service extraordinary, and the breakfast beyond category.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Wellington, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

It is a superb place to stay. Our first visit was 26 years ago when we were married there. Still a very beautiful place. Lovely rooms. You can be as quiet as you wish....or you can be very busy with dining and theater. .
The KIA is very special and don't forget the glass studios. Walking in the park and downtown is very invigorating.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

There are two things I like--breweries and B&Bs. Thankfully for Kalamazoo, it was the combination of these two things that brought me here. The Kalamazoo House truly stands as one of the very, very best.

I was arriving late, and even after getting caught in traffic, Laurel was right there to greet me when I arrived. She showed me around the house, gave me the run down, showed me all the amenities (more on those later), and even gave me directions to Bell's Brewery that night.

It almost feels unfair to call this a Bed and Breakfast, because they offer so much more than just those two things! Downstairs, there's soft drinks, a Keurig, and water always available for guests, a substantial DVD collection in case you want to check one out. Apparently they also have a nightly "happy hour" of sorts, but I didn't get to partake in that.

Upon arriving back at the House after a trip to Bell's, cookies and milk were laid out, and a perfect end to the evening.

The room (I was in Deluxe Queen #8) was beautifully appointed and very spacious! I was here on business, so the desk was wonderful to be able to get some work done while watching a movie. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the sheets were awesome!

The next morning I went down for breakfast where fresh, hot coffee already awaited. You choose your breakfast the night before, and it's an incredibly difficult decision. Fruit was awaiting me when I sat down, and soon thereafter, my breakfast was out (Chorizo and Eggs--I highly recommend). It was absolutely delicious. The best B&B breakfast I'd had, for sure.

Laurel and Terry deserve their own section. They are incredibly personable with their guests, friendly, and a joy to talk with.

Honestly, the only problem I had with my stay was that I didn't get to stay longer. I was immediately raving about the place to my friends, so much so, that a friend I have going to the Grand Rapids area is now spending the night at Kalamazoo House.

If you find yourself in/near/in the general vicinity/within the state itself, find your way to Kalamazoo. I drove almost two hours just to spend the night here and I would do it again in a heartbest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful weekend of R & R. We stay at lot of B&B's and this one is outstanding !!!! Wonderful friendly owners, great recommendations, comfy rooms and Delicious Breakfast!!! Can't wait to return.
Cookies at bedtime were great and we highly recommend booking a couples massage at " Inspiring Hands" also available and recommended on the Kalamazoo House B&B website.

• Stayed September 2013
Muskoka, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I don't have a reason to pass by, or visit Kalamazoo Michigan and that's a pity now. Having stayed in many B&B's in many countries, the Kalamazoo House stands out as one of the best anywhere.
There isn't any one thing that puts it over the top, or makes up for other shortcomings like many B&B's. Rather, every thing is a little beyond just right. The house, the hosts Laurel and Terry, the rooms, the breakfast, all the extras - everything.
If you want to see how the best is done, stay here. Of course it's going to be a spoiler for others...but what pleasure!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed with Laurel and Terry last year, so it was an easy choice to return this year on our way to and from the Harley Davidson 110th anniversary in Milwaukee. Located next to many downtown restaurants and attractions, Kalamazoo House is the place you want to stay. Rooms are comfy and well-appointed. Breakfast choices are many, and served in a beautiful dining room. Laurel and Terry are gracious hosts and will steer you to great places to east, as well as some fantastic museums. Looking forward to our next visit.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my first stay at a B&B in America, and WOW, it did not disappoint. My husband and I decided to do a romantic weekeend getaway to Kalamazoo to tour Bell's breweries and sample beers at the Eccentric Cafe, and The Kalamazoo House was the perfect location to make our trip complete!
Laurel and Terry could not be nicer or better hosts. Anything you could think to need (and things as an adult you'd be afraid to ask for - like bedtime milk and cookies! -) was provided. They are kind, informative, helpful, and run a fantastic place. The house is beautiful, a perfect mix of historic but with modern conveniences. We stayed in room # 9 and it was lovely. I am hoping to return and get to try one of the rooms with the whirlpool tubs, someday! You are within easy walking distance of downtown Kalamazoo, and there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby (though during Labor Day weekend, most things are closed, so be thinking of that if you go during a holiday) Laurel recommended the perfect restaurant for dinner, and now I have to talk about BREAKFAST!
This is where Laurel and Terry especially shine. Breakfast is my favorite meal and they made all my hopes and dreams come true. You start with coffee, and some lovely fruit and pastry options while you wait for Terry to make the main dish you selected the night before. My only problem was TOO MANY DELICIOUS OPTIONS. I've only gotten to try a few since we were only there two nights, so I will have to come back. Terry is extremely gifted as a chef, there is something for everyone, and everything my husband and I had was incredibly delicious. I really can't say enough about how great breakfast was, with all the little touches like fresh coffee constantly on hand, several different juice options, all the little necessities on the side, and the presentation of everything is almost too beautiful to eat! (but I forced myself...) If you love breakfast, you will feel like you've come to your long lost home. I could have stayed in the lovely breakfast parlor all morning, sipping coffee in contentment, if my husband hadn't wanted to go out and do things.
The long and short of it is, if you are in Kalamazoo for anything, this is the perfect place to stay. You will not regret it, and it's worth every penny. You won't find better hosts anywhere else, and they have set the standard of excellence for a B&B in my mind. I'll be back!
P.S. The sheets really are as amazing as everyone said, it was like sleeping on a whipped cream cloud. LOVELY!

1 Thank jessphillips814