“A wonderful b&b!”

Ranked #1 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
England
“A wonderful b&b!”
Reviewed April 25, 2008

This is a wonderful B&B, probably the best I've ever stayed at. The house is absolutely beautiful, with an interesting history. It has been lovingly restored to period splendor. The rooms are large and comfortable and well equipped. The beds are extremely comfortable. I love having decent reading lights on both sides of the bed! The place is also spotless.

Two other wonderful features are the comfortable common room with chairs and tables for relaxing and the bright breakfast room, where fabulous breakfasts are to be had. Offerings range from granola or oatmeal to delicious hot dishes. And fresh-squeezed orange juice!

The proprietors Laurel and Terry do a wonderful job. They are welcoming, helpful, kind, generous. It is delightful to share a glass of wine with them at the end of the day. They also provide a constant supply of tea, with a boil-on-demand kettle for really hot water. And oh, my! Milk and cookies in the evening!

The location next to the Kalamazoo Institute of the Arts is great, as is the accessibility of down town and Kalamazoo College and Western Michigan University. Lots of opportunities to walk and not have to bother with a car, though there is a small parking lot on site.

There are a lot of stairs in the house, so it would be good to inquire about accessibility if you have mobility issues. I'm not sure if there is an elevator.

• Liked — Welcoming hosts and great comfort
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MoMaggs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Chicago
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We needed a break from our normal rush in life and I decided to treat my husband (really myself) to a trip for relaxation. We had never been to Kalamazoo and really didn't know what to expect from the town.

We researched 4 B&B in Kalamazoo as well as the Radisson and based on the reviews, we chose the Kalamazoo House. This was the best decision of many good decisions the weekend.

From the minute we stepped into the house, the owners Terry and Laurel made us feel extremely welcome and comfortable. The room Laurel had helped me select was beautiful and the house in general was such a treat. Laurel and Terry invited us to join them and some of the other guest in the parlor and in just minutes, we felt as if we had known everyone for years. I didn't even realize as we sat and had great discussion about Kalamazoo, current events and life in general that we had been enjoying the evening for almost 2 hours. My husband and I didn't want the evening to end, but we all had dinner plans and everyone parted. My husband said at dinner that tomorrow night we should plan on dinner later in order to enjoy more of the discussion time.

Enough of my rambling, you want to know about the inn.

I can't say enough great things about it. It is beautiful, comfortable, quite and boy the breakfast is wonderful. Just one more tangent, the cookies just before bed are addicting. My husband expects them every night now.

The inns location to everything in the downtown area is perfect. We walked to the WMU and K-College campus just to see them and it is extremely convienient to them also.

Just to summarize how wonderful the weekend was, we both have decided that we also someday want to purchase and run a B&B after staying at the Kalamazoo House, but I don't believe we could in anyway make is as friendly and comfortable as the owners of the Kalamazoo House. The great thing is that we must go back an visit many more time to study Terry and Laurel and how they make the stays so enjoyable.

I highly recommend the Kalamazoo House to everyone, we are telling all of our friend.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank thekittenchicago
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We came here back in the Fall of 2005 and enjoyed it. We decided to come back in November 2007 and found out there were new owners. We were concerned that the B&B could of changed for the worse, however, we were delighted to realize that it's still a great place to stay. The owners are very nice and have copius amounts of historical information on the B&B. The breakfast was delicious and there is even fresh baked cookies at night. There are many things to do in downtown Kalamazoo and I recommend taking advantage of their restaurants and night life.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
midwest, usa
Reviewed February 14, 2008

My craft guild sponsored a retreat at the end of January, to take a break from Michigan's cold and snow. Some of us stayed at this B&B, and absolutely loved it. (The rest stayed at a nearby hotel.) The Kalamazoo house is a victorian house from the late 1800s, literally next door to Kalamazoo's art museum. As such it's a beautiful building with high ceilings, fancy plaster and faux painting.

I'd stayed at B&B once before, so when I learned about this, I said sure. The retreat was wonderful and relaxing; but I really do feel staying at this B&B, which is conveniently located to downtown K'zoo, added to that experience. The owners, Laurel & Terry have owned this B&B for about 6 months, and they honestly appeared to love catering to our every whim--all without being too intrusive. I was impressed.

In contrast to the other members' breakfast of cold cereal (continental breakfast) we had our choice of hot breakfast, which included juice, coffee, an appetizer and a sweet or protein entree, and, iirc, a scone to finish. With tablecloth and fabric napkins. I suppose this is typical for B&Bs, but I really enjoyed the ambiance. The house specialty, almond french toast with banana, is wonderful, but if like me you find most american restaurant food too sweet, ask for the syrup on the side. They'll be happy to accommodate you---if you want to mix the juices offered for the day half and half, no problem; if you want a taste of one thing and smaller portion of something else, no problem. In addition there's dinnertime wine and milk and cookies before bed. Now, who could ask for more than that? They don't serve lunch or dinner, but the others are included in the room cost, which in our case wasn't that much above the nearby hotel, especially once you figured in the cost of the breakfast.

This being an old house, there are variety of rooms, perhaps 9 or 11, single, double, king, of various sizes and price points. You can set the heat for your room, which in my case meant I could turn it down as low as I thought my roommate could stand and each comes with its own bathroom, some with jacuzzi, (wasted on me). They have 4-5 parking spaces at the back, with overflow conveniently located across the street in the church parking lot. For security reasons they keep the building locked, and your keys are to the side door and your room.

There is a large living room, with long tables available for guests' use. Our guild is planning to book the entire B&B next year, so's we can craft away and leave our stuff out overnight. I *believe* there is wireless internet access in the rooms, though no computer for guest use--our goal was to get *away* from that, so I wasn't paying attention. The entire place is non-smoking. Really. I *notice* when obstensibly nonsmoking rooms or even whole floors in traditional hotels have that stale smell, because it often gives me headaches. This place was blessedly free of that.

Downsides: there is no bathroom on the main floor, though there is an elevator to the basement, with very nice restrooms, legacy from when the place was a restaurant; and you must climb a staircase, which, like many from the period is a little narrow and twisting to reach your room, which would be on the 2nd or 3rd floor, because the elevator is only between the basement and first floor. You must climb steps to get inside the door, and absolutely the *only* complaint I could make is that one day they were a little slow cleaning some snow and ice off the steps. I walk and bike year round, so that doesn't bother me, but I could see how it might make folks nervous. This place is not wheelchair accessible.

All in all, my entire stay was entirely absent of those little irritations that are almost inevitable, because the proprietors paid attention to our wants as well as our needs. I normally detest being called by my first name by people who don't know me well, but in this case actually appreciated it. Our guild was so impressed we intend to all stay there next year for our annual retreat.

Full disclosure: the owners asked me to post a review on this site, but I told them I would be happy to do it. As an artist I appreciate good craft, and felt these folks' hotelkeeping exemplified their passion to their discipline, just as I try to bring to my own.

--sylvus tarn
rejiquar works

• Liked — It felt like home, except cleaner and with better food:)
  • Disliked — well, gee. I did have to pay for it. Really, no complaints.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank rejiquar
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 20, 2008

It took us a year, but we finally found our home away from home when staying in Kalamazoo while visiting our daughter who is attending Western Michigan University. We only wish we would have found the Kalamazoo House during our daughter's freshman year!

We will never stay in another motel/hotel/B&B in Kalamazoo. Nothing can beat the hospitality, warmth, class, food, and ambience of the Kalamazoo House. Owners Laurel and Terry Parrott met our every need, from coffee in the morning, to fantastic breakfasts, wonderful wine and hors d'oerves, great conversations, to even driving us back to the train station for our return to Minnesota!

We have stayed in B&Bs in Scotland, England, Germany, Canada, and across the United States. This was the best. Go Broncos, and go Kalamazoo House!

• Liked — The owners and their food were wonderful!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Central Michigan
Reviewed January 4, 2008

We were very lucky to have found the Kalamazoo Bed & Breakfast! We went to a show at the Kalamazoo State Theatre on NYE, and wanted a place that we could walk to downtown. We really weren't looking to find the best B&B but managed to anyway! The proprietors, Laurel and Terry, were great and very easy to talk to. The house is wonderfully maintained, and high quality. We are typically very selective when it comes to accomodations, so finding the Kalamazoo House is a gem. The bedding was wonderful, the bed was comfortable, the room/bathroom was very clean, the rooms were quite, and the breakfast was not only presented well but tasted great. The Parrotts obviously take pride in their home and their business. You should have no reservations on making the choice to stay here. You will have a great night. We are looking forward to going back. No more Raddison for us! Thanks!

• Liked — Quality and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed January 3, 2008

The Kalamazoo House and its hosts, Laurel and Terry - are a delight! The House is beautifully restored, conveniently located, quiet and comfortable. Laurel and Terry are interesting, engaging and accommodating. I generally stay at full-service hotels when I travel, but this B&B is not to be missed (and has changed my mind about choosing those "full-service" hotels over B&Bs!).

Stayed November 2007