“Beautiful restored Victorian Home”

Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
Bloomfield Hills, MIchigan
“Beautiful restored Victorian Home”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here for a quick weekend getaway from the Detroit area. We loved the home and its hosts! Our room was the former Master Bedroom and it is very spacious with a huge bathroom. Bedding was very comfortable. Our only complaint was that the shower pressure was very low but this was at least partially compensated for by the huge, 2 person jacuzzi. Breakfast cooked by Terry is a knockout and the breakfast room is just lovely. Right next door to the Kalamazoo art museum (we came to see a special exhibit there). Only a few blocks from town. All guests rooms are up one flight of stairs so disabled guests please take note.

Room Tip: Old master bedroom is great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lrising
, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with future guests! We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxurious Room #4, our location downtown, and your breakfast. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the art exhibit right next door, too. Thank you also for bringing to my attention that the water pressure seemed low in your shower....it's helpful feedback and it will help us make sure everyone's experience here is top-notch. We hope to welcome you back again someday!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed June 26, 2012

When I first moved to Kalamazoo three years ago, I stayed at The Kalamazoo House for a couple of weeks while I searched for an apartment. Terry and Laurel were wonderful hosts and always made me feel like I was at home. Not only do I have every visitor stay with them, but I loved it so much that I had my bridal party and I stay at the B&B when I got married a few weeks ago. The made-to-order breakfasts are outstanding (I'd definitely recommend the banana nut french toast!), and the chocolate chip cookies are my absolute favorite (warm and gooey every night!). Plus, the house is located just a few short blocks away from all of the restaurants and bars in downtown Kalamazoo. Excellent service, excellent location, excellent food and excellent rooms!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
So nice to see this kind review, Amy, thank you! You know we loved it when you stayed with us when you moved, and it's great to see you when you have relatives stay with us, too. And the ultimate compliment was to have you booked your wedding party in with us---you and your friends were a delight. Thanks for sharing such kind compliments.
Atlanta
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had a short visit to Kalamazoo on our train trip and wanted a B&B near the train station. The Kalamazoo House is about 1/2 mile from the station and is an easy, flat walk. The house is a beautiful mansion that has been well maintained. Lauren and Terry offered wine/beer and cheese in a social hour before dinner and milk and cookies for a bedtime snack. The delicious breakfast was made to order from a selection of six entree items.

The B&B is convenient to the downtown restaurants and museums. We wished that we had planned a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you! We agree that it's a blessing to be such a short walk from the Amtrak station as well as all the good restaurants and fun nightspots downtown. We'll be glad to welcome you back, and next time, as you say, you can stay longer. No car needed!
Shrivenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I were travelling to Chicago and needed a place to stay on route. I could not have chosen better. The hospitality we received was top notch. Our room was beautiful, the bed was very comfortable and the little vase of fresh flowers were a lovely touch. The house is a skip away from a number of restaurants and the town centre makes for such a lovely walk. We got to select our breakfast from a list of options, all of which sounded delicious. We were not disappointed, both our choices were really excellent and we loved that we could sit at our own table and plan the rest of our trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank runnarunna
Thank you, runnarunna. We appreciate you taking the time to tell future guests what it's like to stay here, and we're glad our place turned out to be a good location for you on your way to Chicago. I'm especially glad that you enjoyed the flowers from our garden, and our separate tables at breakfast. Perhaps we'll have the good fortune to have you stop in again.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

I wanted to avoid the big hotel in town and was delighted by this place. Happy to discover its a very short walk to restaurants downtown, they have their own parking, and the price was reasonable. Friendly staff, very beautiful plantings and small gardens wrap around the building. Very well organized web site and instant email communication if you need to contact them last minute. Sure beats the big hotel thing in my opinion. Very easy in and out, very classy beautiful building right down town. Great breakfast abundant with fruit as well as a custom main dish in my case.

Lastly, it had a nice private feeling. This is to say, though you are in someone's house, you also feel secluded if you want. Maybe due to the fairly large size. Top score from my perspective.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Akiley
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your kind words. So glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad that the website and online reservations were convenient for you. We try to keep the website as informative as possible, and the reservation system hassle-free, and it's nice to hear that it worked well for you. And we were delighted to work with your food issues to make sure you had the breakfast you wanted. Please come back anytime!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Loved it! I have stayed at a few other B&B's but by far, this is my favorite...why you may ask? The innkeepers of course! Plus I loved that you could be as social as you wished or could keep to yourself as much as you wished. I liked the customized breakfast times and the private tables. I loved the cookies laid out specifically for our room. And the fact that Coke (or soda for you New Englanders or pop for you MidWesterners) was available free of charge any time I felt like grabbing one out of the fridge. Same goes for tea, milk, etc. The room was totally clean. We felt comfortable and welcome. I also liked that the doors always remained locked...but no worries, you have your own special code so you can get in and out with ease. A warning to those people who travel and stay in hotels a lot...this is a B&B....expect some quirkiness....like singing pipes that sound like the pipe organ when you flush the toilet, etc. I lived in Kalamazoo area for a couple of years but it had been years since I had been back. I was in town for my niece's wedding. I do feel like the trip was much more memorable since my husband and I stayed at Kalamazoo House. I loved it. The breakfast was yummy too! Thanks for a wonderful experience!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa M
InnloverMichigan, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Teresa, that WAS a special weekend, wasn't it? I'm delighted that you enjoyed staying with us as much as we loved having your great group with us. Thanks for describing what it is you liked about staying here -- the breakfast choices and options for separate table, the cookies, the coded keypad, and the 24-hour beverage station. And the quirky singing toilet flush in your room? At breakfast today I asked a guest who's staying in that room about it, and she smiled and called it a delightful little sound. (But just in case some other guests would prefer a more traditional flushing sound, I'm going to check into that today!)
East Peoria
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We booked a one night stay at the Kalamazoo House from the road on the way home from a conference.

What a nice surprise! This B&B is top notch. The house itself is beautifully restored, clean, and very comfortable. The location couldn't be more convenient for walking to restaurants, shops, galleries, etc.

The innkeepers are friendly, helpful, and know their city well.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Go for Room #7 - you won't regret it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Joanne C
InnloverMichigan, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
We really enjoyed having you two here, even for just one short night. I'm awfully glad Nicole was able to suggest the perfect room for you when you called from the road, and that you enjoyed your time in Kalamazoo. We're looking forward to seeing you again.