“I love The Kalamazoo House!”

Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2012

When I first moved to Kalamazoo three years ago, I stayed at The Kalamazoo House for a couple of weeks while I searched for an apartment. Terry and Laurel were wonderful hosts and always made me feel like I was at home. Not only do I have every visitor stay with them, but I loved it so much that I had my bridal party and I stay at the B&B when I got married a few weeks ago. The made-to-order breakfasts are outstanding (I'd definitely recommend the banana nut french toast!), and the chocolate chip cookies are my absolute favorite (warm and gooey every night!). Plus, the house is located just a few short blocks away from all of the restaurants and bars in downtown Kalamazoo. Excellent service, excellent location, excellent food and excellent rooms!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

So nice to see this kind review, Amy, thank you! You know we loved it when you stayed with us when you moved, and it's great to see you when you have relatives stay with us, too. And the ultimate compliment was to have you booked your wedding party in with us---you and your friends were a delight. Thanks for sharing such kind compliments.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had a short visit to Kalamazoo on our train trip and wanted a B&B near the train station. The Kalamazoo House is about 1/2 mile from the station and is an easy, flat walk. The house is a beautiful mansion that has been well maintained. Lauren and Terry offered wine/beer and cheese in a social hour before dinner and milk and cookies for a bedtime snack. The delicious breakfast was made to order from a selection of six entree items.

The B&B is convenient to the downtown restaurants and museums. We wished that we had planned a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you! We agree that it's a blessing to be such a short walk from the Amtrak station as well as all the good restaurants and fun nightspots downtown. We'll be glad to welcome you back, and next time, as you say, you can stay longer. No car needed!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I were travelling to Chicago and needed a place to stay on route. I could not have chosen better. The hospitality we received was top notch. Our room was beautiful, the bed was very comfortable and the little vase of fresh flowers were a lovely touch. The house is a skip away from a number of restaurants and the town centre makes for such a lovely walk. We got to select our breakfast from a list of options, all of which sounded delicious. We were not disappointed, both our choices were really excellent and we loved that we could sit at our own table and plan the rest of our trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank runnarunna
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you, runnarunna. We appreciate you taking the time to tell future guests what it's like to stay here, and we're glad our place turned out to be a good location for you on your way to Chicago. I'm especially glad that you enjoyed the flowers from our garden, and our separate tables at breakfast. Perhaps we'll have the good fortune to have you stop in again.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I wanted to avoid the big hotel in town and was delighted by this place. Happy to discover its a very short walk to restaurants downtown, they have their own parking, and the price was reasonable. Friendly staff, very beautiful plantings and small gardens wrap around the building. Very well organized web site and instant email communication if you need to contact them last minute. Sure beats the big hotel thing in my opinion. Very easy in and out, very classy beautiful building right down town. Great breakfast abundant with fruit as well as a custom main dish in my case.

Lastly, it had a nice private feeling. This is to say, though you are in someone's house, you also feel secluded if you want. Maybe due to the fairly large size. Top score from my perspective.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Akiley
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your kind words. So glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad that the website and online reservations were convenient for you. We try to keep the website as informative as possible, and the reservation system hassle-free, and it's nice to hear that it worked well for you. And we were delighted to work with your food issues to make sure you had the breakfast you wanted. Please come back anytime!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Loved it! I have stayed at a few other B&B's but by far, this is my favorite...why you may ask? The innkeepers of course! Plus I loved that you could be as social as you wished or could keep to yourself as much as you wished. I liked the customized breakfast times and the private tables. I loved the cookies laid out specifically for our room. And the fact that Coke (or soda for you New Englanders or pop for you MidWesterners) was available free of charge any time I felt like grabbing one out of the fridge. Same goes for tea, milk, etc. The room was totally clean. We felt comfortable and welcome. I also liked that the doors always remained locked...but no worries, you have your own special code so you can get in and out with ease. A warning to those people who travel and stay in hotels a lot...this is a B&B....expect some quirkiness....like singing pipes that sound like the pipe organ when you flush the toilet, etc. I lived in Kalamazoo area for a couple of years but it had been years since I had been back. I was in town for my niece's wedding. I do feel like the trip was much more memorable since my husband and I stayed at Kalamazoo House. I loved it. The breakfast was yummy too! Thanks for a wonderful experience!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa M
InnloverMichigan, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Teresa, that WAS a special weekend, wasn't it? I'm delighted that you enjoyed staying with us as much as we loved having your great group with us. Thanks for describing what it is you liked about staying here -- the breakfast choices and options for separate table, the cookies, the coded keypad, and the 24-hour beverage station. And the quirky singing toilet flush in your room? At breakfast today I asked a guest who's staying in that room about it, and she smiled and called it a delightful little sound. (But just in case some other guests would prefer a more traditional flushing sound, I'm going to check into that today!)

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We booked a one night stay at the Kalamazoo House from the road on the way home from a conference.

What a nice surprise! This B&B is top notch. The house itself is beautifully restored, clean, and very comfortable. The location couldn't be more convenient for walking to restaurants, shops, galleries, etc.

The innkeepers are friendly, helpful, and know their city well.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Go for Room #7 - you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Joanne C
InnloverMichigan, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

We really enjoyed having you two here, even for just one short night. I'm awfully glad Nicole was able to suggest the perfect room for you when you called from the road, and that you enjoyed your time in Kalamazoo. We're looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We absolutely loved our trip to Kalamazoo, in no small part thanks to Laurel and Terry at Kalamazoo House. The house is within walking distance to Bell's Brewery and the restaurant strip downtown. We were nervous about parking, but it turned out to not be a problem at all. They hosted a wine and cheese social hour, chocolate chip cookies at night, and there was a whole menu of breakfast choices (from French toast to omelets to corned beef hash), which we had never seen before. The Reese's pancakes were fantastic. Our hosts were extremely welcoming and were always checking to make sure we had everything we needed. They had great advice about restaurants and activities in the area. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RachelleL22
InnloverMichigan, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Thanks, Rachelle! We do so appreciate you taking the time to let other travelers know about your experience at the Kalamazoo House and in downtown Kalamazoo, and we're delighted that you enjoyed your stay over Memorial Day weekend. It seemed like you took good advantage of all the fun that downtown Kalamazoo offers, including the tour at Bell's, and we hope you'll be coming back this way again one day.