“Lovely place and people”
Review of Stuart Avenue Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalamazoo
Stuart Avenue Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“Lovely place and people”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My family group spent two nights at the Stuart Avenue Inn in June. The house is gorgeous, with elaborate moldings and beautifully done Victorian decor. I continually lusted after the gorgeous wallpapers and details. The grounds are beautiful and sitting in the dining room frames lovely views of them. Chris and Dana couldn't have been nicer. They were very helpful and fun to talk with. The breakfasts were delicious and my Mom is still talking about Dana's perfect omlette. My room was in the Friends and Family Suite on the third floor. We were impressed with all the space and amenities, if a bit hot during our stay in the middle of a heat wave. My parents enjoyed the Bartlett Room with its king sized bed. This is a good find.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank TravellerWaban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Had some last-minute college graduation planning to do, and Chris and Dana had no room at the inn, but said they'd keep my details handy. Two weeks before the big day, a room opened up in their carriage house for our two nights. Perfect. Across the street from both Kalamazoo College and our son's apartment, we landed in heaven. Dana apologized for a plumbing problem that had left a strain on the ceiling and caused some trim to be removed. She told us she worked to find us substitute lodging - and pay the difference if more - but the whole town was booked. So she told us we'd be getting the second night at the inn free. This was extraordinary value from very good people. The place runs on wit, whimsy, grace and Belvedere, a big, gentle part-hound who has the run of the place and knows not to cop bites of the most-serious b & b breakfast I can remember - and I've seen three dozen countries while living in Europe for three years. A ginger and chevre cheesepie, ham and rosemary muffins, fresh fruit salad, and much more. They invited our grad to breakfast and greeted him with a flute of champagne. When we had to leave by 6:30 a.m. the last day, we were greeted with a to-go bag, stuffed with more of the same goodies. Mmmm. The room was comfortable, clean, stocked with intriguing books (David Lodge, Salman Rushdie) from previous guests, and overlooked their lush, gigantic garden and grounds. There was a good amount of construction material in the gravel driveway by our door, but presumably that's because Chris has been working on the place. I only wish we'd tried this place a few years ago.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank DanRubin
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2011

The Stuart Avenue Inn is a perfect B&B. The innkeepers were friendly and helpful when I needed them to be, and respected my privacy when I needed that. I stayed here while my daughter was visiting Kalamazoo College;the location was convenient to the college and to downtown Kalamazoo. The room I stayed in was well-appointed, comfortable and clean, with a nice sitting area and a kitchenette. I would wholeheartedly recommend this place for anyone coming to Kalamazoo for any purpose.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Absweetmarie
Oak Forest, IL
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We just returned from a Labor Day weekend at the Stuart Avenue Inn in Kalamazoo, MI, and we were very impressed at the accommodations. We arrived at the Inn a bit early, and even though there was a wedding on the grounds, Chris and Dana (and Belvedere--more on him later) gave us a warm welcome and tour of the Inn. We stayed in the Bartlett Room, which has a comfortable king-sized bed (best sleep I've had in a long time!) and antique furnishings, along with a TV, refrigerator, and microwave. Although the shower is somewhat cozy, the bathroom is clean and inviting and supplied with soap made by a local artisan.
Chris and Dana were helpful when asked what restaurants to visit and how to find the local bicycle trails. Belvedere, their more than friendly dog, acted as the Inn's greeter, always ready to welcome you back from your day's activities and to make you feel as if you've just come home. They even said that they were hoping to award Belvedere with the "world's most petted dog," and I believe he has the title by a longshot!
The morning breakfasts were tasty, and felt a bit indulgent, with offerings such as lemon ricotta pancakes with blueberry sauce to eggs with southwest potatoes and fresh fruit. Although we didn't require a special menu, apparently, with notice, they will honor special diets and restrictions (if you do not have any special restrictions, I would recommend you sample their daily specials--don't worry about calories!).
The location is ideal--close to downtown Kalamazoo with Kalamazoo College directly across the street. The Kalamazoo River Valley Trail, a 13-mile paved trail, is nearby, and a short 5-mile bike ride on this trail will take you to the much longer Kal Haven Trail. The Kal Haven Trail is a 33.5 mile crushed limestone trail that leads from Kalamazoo to South Haven. Although we did not ride the entire Kal Haven Trail, we did ride the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail and found it scenic and somewhat challenging.
All in all, we had an enjoyable weekend and if you find yourself in the Kalamazoo area, we highly recommend a stay at the Stuart Avenue Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ILTraveler23
chicago
Reviewed May 9, 2011

The Stuart Inn is an outstanding architectural gem. A beautiful, spacious, Victorian building surounded by a large garden. Impeccably decorated, extreamly comfortable, a sumptuous breakfast and the Inn keepers are so very personable I feel like a welcomed family member. They also have a wonderful library that you can select form during your stay.
Our daughter goes to Kalamazoo College and Stuart Inn is just a block away from the college. It is great to have such a close, comfortable place to stay. We can easily walk over and take part in any campus activities, or relax at the Inn until our daughter has time to visit us.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but I prefer the South side