“Not bad, but not exceptional”

Baymont Inn & Suites Jackson
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Jackson
Michigan
“Not bad, but not exceptional”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed at the Baymont last week on business travel. Spent most of my time out & around Jackson, so not much time in the room. If you're looking for an accessible, clean place to stay, it works. Not extravagant. The property looks a little tired. Scuffs on the walls, tired carpet, etc. However, staff was friendly. Breakfast bar decent. I found it on Priceline and bid $40, so I think total expense (after taxes) was $52.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nemichigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I wanted to get away for a night before he left on an extended work location out of state. He wanted a whirlpool tub, sadly I waited and this was the only hotel with one. They were very nice when we checked in, should of known it wasn't going to be good when I used the restroom & the toilet had an elogated seat on a round front toilet. The A/C didn't work, just fan or heat and it was almost 90 in March. We climed into the old tub to cool off, turned on the jets which all of them didn't work and the smell about gagged me. I couldn't believe the smell of rotten eggs. My husband who worked in plumbing states the tub hasn't been cleaned properly and there is bateria in the lines of the tub. Between the smell of the room, way to warm and not being able to use the tub we asked to leave. They refused to give us any refund because we used the room for 1/2 hour. One costly mistake, we left drove 1/2 hour north and had a wonderful jacuzzi room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Jackson hotels

Canton, Georgia
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I had a nice stay and have to say that the staff was very friendly. The room was cleaned very nicely and I really can't say none too much on the negative side. The breakfast left something to be desired, the internet connection was ok, but not fast by my standards. With ice being on the ground, it would have been nice if salt had been more generously added.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TDeal76
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 26, 2011

And yes - my bath tub had a hole in the bottom that had been repaired with auto bondo. And yes - There is no elevator to the second floor, just an old filthly staircase.

I checked in to the Jackson, Michigan Baymont Inn on September 19th. Upon entering and checking my room, I found the air conditioning unit was not working properly. Only the “fan” and “heat” settings worked, the “cool” setting indicator light did not come one nor did the unit blow cool air. Prior to leaving for dinner that evening I stopped at the front desk and asked that my unit be repaired or replaced prior to my return later that evening. I was assured the unit would be repaired.

Following dinner on Monday evening I returned to my room and found the air conditioning unit had not been repaired. That night I slept with my window open which allowed the nearby traffic noise to enter the room and ran the unit on the “fan” setting. It was a warm evening and I was uncomfortable all night.

Prior to leaving for work Tuesday morning (Sept 20th) I expressed to the front desk my displeasure with the fact that the air conditioning unit had not been repaired. The front desk clerk apologized and assured me that the unit would be replaced during the day.

Upon returning from work Tuesday evening I entered my room to find it extremely warm. I checked the air conditioning unit and again only the “heat” and “fan” settings were working. I went to the front desk and expressed my frustration with the fact that the air conditioning unit had not been repaired or replaced as I had requested. I was assured the unit had been replaced that day by the maintenance man and that it was working properly. I asked for someone to come with me to my room to inspect the unit and was told the maintenance man would arrive to inspect the unit with me.

The maintenance man did come to my room and looked at the unit. He explained that he had exchanged the unit for another unit in another part of the building earlier that day. I explained that while I appreciated his efforts, the “new” unit was operating the same as the old unit and that only the “heat” and “fan” settings were working. He told me that the “cool” setting worked, but that the indicator light for the “cool” setting was burned out. I asked him to make the air conditioning unit blow cold air. He played with the unit for approximately five minutes and could not get the unit to blow cold air.

Since the air conditioning unit would not blow cold air and I had been asking for the unit to be repaired or replaced since my check-in more than 24-hours earlier, I decided to check-out of the hotel and stay at another hotel Tuesday night.

I went to the front desk to check out. The desk clerk informed me that she was unable to check me out since that required a manager’s approval and there wasn’t a manager working Tuesday evening. I let her know I would not be staying at the hotel that night since the air conditioning in my room didn’t work and I wasn’t going to experience a second consecutive night of poor sleep due to the inadequate room conditions.

The clerk explained that I would need to leave my name and cell phone number, so that a manager could call me to discuss my dissatisfaction with the room. I provided this information to the clerk.

Since I was not called by a manager Wednesday as promised, I stopped back at the Baymont Inn at approximately 1:00pm to request my bill and have the room charges for Tuesday night removed. The front desk clerk was familiar with my situation and explained that check-out is noon, and that since my luggage was in the room at noon on Tuesday, I missed the check-out deadline and would be charged for Tuesday night. She further explained that the air conditioning unit had been replaced in the room and was working and therefore I had no basis for my claim of the faulty air conditioning unit. Then the maintenance person (who just happened to be nearby) came over and confirmed to the clerk that he had swapped out the unit. I confronted him and reminded him that he had played with the unit for five minutes in my presence the prior evening and couldn’t get it to blow cold air.

The discussion concluded with the clerk telling me I was wrong and explaining I would be charged in full for my two night stay even thought I only stayed for one night. I explained to her that I would protest the charge to my credit card.

This hotel was terrible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Galloway, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The room was clean enough and the bed slept good. BUT the doors up and down the hall slam shut so every time anyone goes in or out, you know it. It's also beside the freeway so you hear the traffic. I tried setting my Air Conditioner fan to ON but it kept going on and off like I hadn't changed it. The place smells like they allow smoking but my room didn't smell smoky at all.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Williams Bay
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I checked in lugged my bags up to the 2nd floor, no elevator, open the door and find the room never cleaned at all. The manager on duty offered to check out another room with me. No way. Dump barely covers it! I spend an ENORMOUS amount of time in hotels from budget to luxury, and by far in the 10 years I have traveled this is the bottom. This hotel would make those even really seedy places seem nice. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! Try the comfort suites across the highway. I got the same rate for a very nice newer hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Addison, Michigan
Reviewed February 16, 2011

The room was in rather rough shape with chips and scratches in the furniture and cigarette burns in the carpets. Overall very disappointing I've stayed in far better rooms for a lot less money. The worst part of the stay was when housekeeping knocked on the door at 9am a full three hours before check out! It seems they knock on everybodies door every morning around 9am!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo