“Happy stay”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed August 29, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I booked 2 rooms at this location for 2 nights. One room was on the ground level right next to the pool and the other was on the 2nd floor, a king with a balcony. When I first got here I immediately fell in love with the comforts of the room. The air conditioning was cold and the balcony allowed me to just step right outside to smoke.
I was informed prior to checking in that there was a separate building for the people who actually lived full time at the travelodge and that a majority of the rest of the rooms were booked up by the pipeline construction workers that were going to be in town for the next 2 years!
The shower was really outdated and there was hair (not mine) on the shower walls, but it was something I was willing to overlook considering I got a balcony for $60 per night.
It wasnt until around midnight that I started turning off some of the lights and proceeded to lay down. About 30 mins afterwards I realized that the bed I was in was pretty dirty. I kept picking pieces of random dirty out of the bed that I knew I didnt bring into the room. I went to the car and grabbed some of the sheets I carry around with me for just incase and laid on them. About an hour later I fell asleep with only the bathroom light on. A few hours later I got up to use the bathroom, grab a drink and go smoke a cigarette. I reached to open the white refrigerator and I seen 3 bugs scatter when I opened the door. I immediately woke right up and turned on the lights. When I did I found 3 other cockroaches in random places on the walls and around the tv next to the refrigerator. I went into the bathroom to attempt to get something to kill them with and seen 2 others, one on the floor and one on the sink. I grabbed my shoe and killed the one on the floor and the other on the sink ran into a hole in the baseboard. I kept the one I ended up killing and placed it into one of the travelodge cups, which is the image that I am uploading into this review. I remained in the room for 3 more hours with every single light on. Only seen one other one after this, probably because they dont like the light.
At 730am, I grabbed all of my belongings, put them in the car and me and my cup of cockroach went to speak to management. This was the worse part of the whole experience. The lady behind the counter was very accommodating and apologetic about the entire event, but the management was atrocious! There was an assist. manager male there that proceeded to argue with me about the validity of it being a cockroach by googling african cockroach on his phone to pull up a picture to compare it to the squished cockroach I had in my cup to explain to me that it didnt even look like the same thing. What I would like to know is how he can compare a different type of cockroach to what I had in my cup, and how he even had the right to argue with something that was smashed in the cup. I was in the room and saw what they looked like alive and didnt have a doubt in my mind that it was a cockroach! I made a comment to him that I did not appreciate him arguing with me about the type of bug it was, and that it was bad enough that the room was covered with them at night and that he was making the situation worse than it needed to be. He told me he was not arguing and that it was not a cock roach. I told him he was "most certainly" arguing and he walked away and was never seen again. There was never even ONE apology from the management on this issue.
The nice receptionist needed to call the general manager for approval to refund my money for the night. I paid cash for these rooms, not credit. She received approval to refund the amount of my one night stay last night and to cancel further reservations and refund those amounts. When she went to open the drawer to give me the money out of it, it was a struggle for her because she needed management to actually come to open the drawer. She went into the back room where the male assist. manager was to ask him which key it was and he showed her the wrong key 3 (THREE) times. She was practically begging him to come out and just open the drawer and he absolutely would not come back out to provide her with any help to help me out AT ALL. I made a comment to her that he was not coming out because he did not want her to help me out, loud enough for him to hear and he still would not be helpful in assisting. She had to sit there and attempt every key on the keyring she had before she finally found the right one.
They refunded me for the stay that night in only 1 (ONE) of my rooms, plus a refund for the nights I had decided not to stay, and did NOT refund for my 2nd room that night, ONLY because if she would have had to do that it would have taken all of the money out of that drawer. The general manager knew that I would be writing this review on here specifically and did not care. I definitely feel like my whole entire stay should have been refunded and was applauded at the behavior of the management on this issue! The general managers name is Cindia and she does not care about the cleanliness of this hotel and does not care that the whole world knows it has cockroaches.
I would not recommend staying at this hotel for at least the next 2 years or until the owner decides to change its management team.

2  Thank Jayme N
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was the closest available hotel to the start of the World's Longest Yard Sale. The room was clean, and the front desk people were very friendly and helpful. We were in a room on the Interstate side of the hotel, so there was some traffic noise, but not so much as to make it annoying. The free breakfast was pretty skimpy, but you get what you pay for. There is an in-house restaurant, but we didn't get anything there. All in all, a pleasant night's stay, and I wouldn't mind staying there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas H
Reviewed August 14, 2013

1  Thank MH0310
Reviewed August 7, 2013

For the price and the dog friendly room, it was a great deal. The room and hallway were lil musty, but overall fairly clean. The grounds and pool were very nice. The breakfast was pathetic, but for the price how could one expect anything different?

Reviewed August 6, 2013

must have been an older motel, everything had 3 or more coats of paint, room had strange smoked in odor, otherwise, did the job.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo