“A nice evening”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went to One Five One with friends, and kids. The menu has something for everyone, including a good kids menu. The beer selection was good, had Two Hearted on tap. The prices are a bit higher than 10-25$.

There are newer reviews for One Five One

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We returned for a second chance. The staff was much more attentive. I highly recommend the Ahi Tuna. We enjoyed our evening, and hope to return soon.

1  Thank Randy H
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We finally decided to give One Five One a try since it changed hands (Formally known as Daryl's Downtown). We were surprised at how many open tables there were on a Saturday night around 7pm. The place had less than half of there seating capacity filled. I believe there are a few factors for this. Menu prices and food quality. I know some local people used to complain that Daryl's downtown was too expensive (even though he offered $10 lunches that included an entree, two sides, bread, and a salad). Well One Five One's dinner prices were even pricier than Daryl's dinner prices. Not only that, but they now charge extra for a salad ($3 for house salad; $5 for Caesar or specialty salad). They do still make the delicious bread that Daryl's was famous for (and yes, it is still free) as well as the house salad (with dried cherries).

One Five One has retained a handful of dishes that Daryl's had on their menu. I was happy to see my favorite dish, the Stuffed Chicken was still being served, and described the same way. My wife and I both ordered the Stuffed Chicken with a house salad. Our salads were served first along with the bread. Both tasted just how I remembered them when it was Daryl's; excellent.

When the stuffed chicken arrived I noticed the portions were bigger. I also noticed that the rice wasn't the same, as well as the red bell pepper sauce on the chicken. The plate was also peppered with tiny pieces of green onion (Chef Ramsey would have lifted the plate to his mouth and blown it all off onto the floor). As I cut the chicken to get my first bite, I noticed that the ingredients had changed as well. The chicken was a bit dry and did not taste the same as Daryl's, especially when I mixed a bite of the chicken with the "new" rice (which was rather bland). The other side dish I received was asparagus (they do allow you to substitute sides if you ask) which looked amazing, unfortunately it was undercooked, making it hard to chew. My wife ordered the Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, which were not warm as well as bland.

The service was OK. Not bad; not stellar.

The decor seems to have stayed the same since changing hands. I noticed they use table clothes now, as well as seat cushions. My wife and I both had a problem with the seat cushions. The cushions are not attached to the chair itself, so when you move, the cushion moves with you. It was also difficult to sit down at first because of it moving around.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed. The higher prices and poor quality food will more than likely quickly put this place out of business (unless the City of Jackson gives them an $80,000 loan and doesn't expect them to pay it back - See Daryl's). If/when I return I will try something knew to see if they do that entree some justice. My only concern is that if you can't prepare side dishes properly, can you handle cooking en-tree's properly?

1  Thank Tee D
RestaurantManager13, Manager at One Five One, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Tee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of One Five One here on TripAdvisor. We often hear of the many good things at One Five One but it is helpful to hear when things aren't so good as well. We are very sorry you did not receive an excellent product and outstanding service while at our restaurant. We would like an opportunity to follow up with you so we can learn more about the imperfect experience you had. Please send an email to info@one-five-one.com at your earliest convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback, we will use it to continue to perfect our product and service.

Very best regards,
Steve and the One Five One Team.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Went there last night. We were seated right away. The hostess brought us water and menus, and said Joe would be our server. I read the menu so many times that I have it memorized. After 15 minutes of no waiter/waitress, or acknowledgement that we were even there, we left. On the way out I told the hostess why we were leaving, she said "Good night". Wow, not very good customer service. Went to The Oak Tree, had a glass of wine within 2 minutes, and food within 10! Too bad for 151, as we used to go to Daryls 2 or 3 times a month. They lost me, and a lot of revenue too.

3  Thank Randy H
RestaurantManager13, Manager at One Five One, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Randy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of One Five One. We would like to apologize for your experience the other night; the lack of service provided to you is not acceptable and we are abashed by what happened. As a new restaurant, we clearly have a process to yet perfect. Please know we will take your feedback and use it as an opportunity to educate our staff in the goal of providing exceptional service to every guest. If you are willing, please email info@one-five-one.com, our management team would like an opportunity to learn more from your feedback and do everything possible to make things right for you.

Thank you again.

Steve Carlson and the One Five One team

Reviewed March 15, 2013

So I go to Jackson regularly for business. Its an OK little town, nothing fancy at all though, and certainly not a mecca for tourism.

You dont have a lot of high end hospitality businesses in Jackson. The best hotels are a Fairfield Inn and a Holiday Inn for example.

The same goes for restaurants. Sure, you have your corporate chains, like Red Lobster & Outback, and they are considered fancy in Jackson I guess.

One Five One (named after its address on Michigan ave in downtown Jackson I guess), used to be Daryl's. It looks much the same.

The menu is good. The options are about what you expect, and they apply the creative flair one would hope that a good chef would apply. I had a hummus appetizer that was quite good, and a very nice steak. Service was good, drink offerings looked good. I generally think it is a very nice place for a good dinner, and is a perfectly acceptable place for a business dinner or a night out with the spouse.

If I were to evaluate it without any reference to anything outside Jackson, I would say it is EXCELLENT. However, I am comparing it to neighboring towns, like Ann Arbor (~30-40 miles east). So I bring it down to very good. The fairness of such an evaluation could be questioned, so I disclose it.

I like this place. There is only a handful of restaurants in all of Jackson that I would eat in, as I am a foodie.

If I am going to eat in Jackson, this would be the top of my list.

Oh, I met the owner. He stopped by our table, and was very friendly and polite. I found that to be a nice touch, and my waitress was also very friendly, not overbearing, yet attentive. I notice stuff like that. Waitress had a great smile every time she walked up to our table.