All reviews great dane continental breakfast hot tub kids loved the pool room layout foos ball copper peak enjoyed our stay other guests black river family trip down the road brittany winter powderhorn accommodations snow
Reviewed April 28, 2016 via mobile

My fiancé and I took a surprise trip to this beautiful family owned lodge. He's been here several times and this was my first, but MOST DEFINITELY not my last. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite with a (super comfy) king bed and jacuzzi tub, which is centered at the top front of the lodge over looking the mountainside.

The views from this place are spectacular! We snowmobiled into Bressmer, and caught some great scenic views including open flowing streams, freshly covered with all that beautiful UP snow. Upon our return to the lodge, the owners and their two little boys greeted us with huge smiles on their faces and honestly built a snowman with us! These owners really do treat you like family with a great bed and breakfast attitude:)

We were already planning a return trip over the Christmas holiday (before even leaving) with our four children, so that they too can experience this beautiful heaven on earth! The set up of this lodge allows for great family atmosphere and convenient room placements. If you are looking for a quaint and peaceful family-owned lodge in the UP, I would definitely recommend!!!!!!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
BlackRiverLodge, Owner at Black River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2016

We greatly appreciate your review and are so happy you enjoyed the surprise trip! You wrote this review in April... and here we are in September (sorry I'm so behind on the response) and I'm reminiscing back to that Snowman we built. Next time when you bring the kids, we'll have to put them in charge of making a whole snowman family! I chuckle thinking about how that could turn out. Thanks again for building memories with us, and see you this Christmas.

Reviewed April 24, 2016 via mobile

As a woman traveling alone 3+ hours to the ski hills I could not feel safer and more at home here! BRL is a short trip from all of the hills and trails but rarely have a reason to venture out. The continental breakfast is perfectly portioned, but unfortunately you will have those other guests who treat it like an all you can eat buffet :( The bar on site is great, I love that I can wear my slippers and after a few drinks my "drive home" is a few steps to my room. The pool / hot tub area is large and I never have to worry about it being too busy to enjoy the facilities.

Brittany and Justin truly make me feel like family when staying, not to mention the other repeat guests you meet while staying here. They have been doing a great job updating the lodge. These owners take pride in their business and it is absolutely heartbreaking when I see guests being rude and disrespectful to this establishment.

I no doubt will be returning this winter and hope to make my first summer trip in a few months.

1  Thank GeebsGirl

We love that you feel so comfortable here. That's what the lodge is all about.. it's a home away from home! We don't pretend to be anything fancy, but we do want everyone to feel safe and comfortable. As on-site, live-in managers.. it's an added bonus for our guests knowing there is always someone here if you need something! It's nice that you notice all the hard work we are putting into the place. It's a work in progress and we will keep chipping away at it. Thank you for all your kind words. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 10, 2016 via mobile

Can't say much nice about the place. They have a lot to learn about treatment of guests vs constantly telling you their policies.

It's in need of updating to say the least.

As for details. It has a pool with a jacuzzi. It's located near the local ski resorts. There is a bar on the lower level with pool table and juke box.

Breakfast is served though very limited selection.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank kiwig14
BlackRiverLodge, Owner at Black River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2016

We apologize that your stay at the lodge did not meet your standards. We have made many new friends with people who have stayed as our guests. It’s unfortunate you didn’t have the same experience. Staying in this kind of facility is not for everyone. The lodge is run more like a bed and breakfast, which can come as a surprise for some if they are not used to that kind of atmosphere. We are very up front about our unique facility, especially if we have the opportunity to work with you verbally when booking (and, I don’t believe we did). If you booked through a third party website such as Expedia--unfortunately I cannot speak for the impression you may have received from them as we are not directly affiliated. If you actually booked with a group--the room placement decisions were made by the group coordinators.

Online and in person, we are very up front and honest about what kind of facility we have and the fact that the lodge is more outdated compared to something you may find in the cities or a standard chain hotel. We don’t pretend the lodge is high-end; however, it is still very comfortable and one of the more updated places in this area. We have been consistently updating the place since we took over 1.5 years ago and always put our accomplishments on our website and social media for all to follow along. We completed a very major bed and TV upgrade to our couples suites (added four new king beds with brand new bedding, several queen beds to other family suites, and five newer 37” flat screen TV’s) days before your arrival in February. It’s unfortunate you didn’t take these efforts (which you were explained upon check in) into consideration for your review. We have four more king beds that will be installed this spring and will continue replacing approximately two TV’s a month until all are updated. All of these have been huge improvements to the room quality. Many other new and past guests have extended wonderful compliments since.

I’m not sure what more you would expect from a continental breakfast. We have some nice reviews on the spread we set up each morning. We offer a variety of bagels, english muffins and mini breakfast muffins, waffles, a variety of cold and hot cereals, mixed fruits, hot tea, coffee, milk, and juice... plus a bloody mary and mimosa bar (new this year in January). We cannot offer hot items as our food license does not allow, but usually offer recommendations for several great restaurants in the area who do serve a traditional hot breakfast (if we know that’s what you’re looking for). Additionally, we offer Lotzza Motzza pizza’s, popcorn & peanuts in the evenings out of the bar. These details are explained online and upon check-in.

If you were constantly being reminded of our rules and policies as you state, we were likely letting you know that a line was being crossed. I’m not exactly sure what rule or policy was an issue for you. They are outlined on our website, our email confirmations, discussed upon check in, and posted in various places in the lodge (as required by law)…. So, shouldn’t have been a surprise. They are not out of the norm for the industry or the local area. In fact, many of them were adopted directly from other bed and breakfasts in the region. We are able to be relaxed on some, but most are in place for the peace, and most importantly, safety for all of our guests. I’m not sure why anybody would expect less? Moreover, some are based on laws and regulations that we are required to enforce by the State of Michigan. (IE: locking the pool, lobby & bar at closing, the type of food we serve, prohibiting outside beverages in the bar, no food or beverage in the pool, etc.) Most guests are understanding and don’t pose a problem.

From beginning to end, we work hard to connect with each and every guest to provide a positive, memorable stay. We care greatly about the experience guests have and are confident in our knowledge/abilities to handle guests of all kinds. We know our clientele very well, and if necessary, will respectfully recommend more suitable local accommodations during initial conversations if honestly felt our environment will not be enjoyable. We will work even harder in ensuring guests are not misinformed. Best wishes to you in your future travels.

Future guests with questions about this guest review, any other review, our policies or accommodations are encouraged to call the lodge directly at 906-932-3857.

Reviewed January 12, 2016 via mobile

I've been there a few times now and have nothing bad to say about this place. The owners are easy to get along with and make your stay more fun when you have good people to hangout with. I'll definitely be back there again

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
BlackRiverLodge, Owner at Black River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2016

Thanks so much for the review! We try to keep the atmosphere of the Lodge social and laid back so guests can really relax and enjoy their on vacation. We think it's nice to find a place where you may walk away with a new friend or two also! We really appreciate you being on of our loyal, returning guests and hope you see some nice updates the next time you visit.

Reviewed January 12, 2016 via mobile

I've been here 2 times now from 9 hours away and its well worth the drive. I'd recommend it to anyone who is in their area. There's so much to do and see right around the lodge. Justin and Brittany are great hosts and never seem to stop working to make sure your stay is comfortable. Can't wait to go back :)

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends

So glad you enjoyed your stay! Yes, we may be out of town a bit, but we are still central to so many great attractions in the area. I routinely the comment of "Well, it's Ironwood.. what is there really to do there?" and people are always surprised when I start listing off the things to do within a few miles. And even within a short drive. Glad you found the lodge comfortable. We know what we look for in a place to stay so work hard to provide that to our guests. Thanks again for being so loyal to us and hopefully you will have a chance to stay again very soon!