“A Great Treat in the Western UP”
Review of Alice's Restaurant

Alice's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Iron River
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Having spent the day hiking, and having relaxed at our cottage following our hike, we decided to head into Iron River for a nice dinner. i had read the TripAdvisor reviews before we left, and to confirm we were in for a delightful experience, the woman from whom we were renting our cottage told us it was the best place to eat with a nice range of entree selections. I called ahead, as reservations were suggested, and made a 7:15 p.m. reservation. We arrived a little after 7:00, and the hostess informed us that we were an hour early! We had mistakenly thought that Iron River was on eastern time, as much of the eastern UP is. We were wrong. Although Alice's was hosting a large party in its back room, and the restaurant was quite full, the hostess offered to find us a table for two. She did that within about two minutes. That was the somewhat amusing start to our "early" evening. Our server took our drink orders, and the brandy old-fashioned (a Wisconsin staple!) were as good as any I've ever enjoyed in our home state. If anything, the only less-than-positive comment I can make about Alice's is the amount of time we waited between receiving our drinks and getting our bread basket and salads. Again, there was a large group in the backroom, and our server apologized for the wait. The bread basket included two small squares of delicious onion bread, and several homemade bread sticks (also yummy, and SO much better than boxed bread sticks that one often gets at Italian restaurants.) Alice's featured several specials on the Saturday evening we were there, including a rack of ribs, and two kinds of soups. My husband and I decided to "go Italian" and both ordered the cheese ravioli. I had mine meatless (of course), with marinara sauce, and a salad with house (homemade creamy Italian). My husband had his with two large meatballs with meat sauce, and salad with raspberry vinaigrette. The cheese ravioli featured a mix of "seven cheeses." I easily identified the mozzarella, and the blend was delightful. The pasta (all of which is homemade) had a texture and flavor that made one want to keep eating long after it would have been prudent to stop! My husband said his meatballs were good, and unusual in that the ground meats included beef, pork and chicken. I asked him about the bread crumbs which can overwhelm the meatball, and he noted that if there was any in the meatballs, it was hard to detect. Yes, they were that "meaty." I cold have used a bit more marinara, mostly because I couldn't finish my entree and took about half of it as a "to go." Can't wait to enjoy the rest of my cheese ravioli in the next couple of days.Alice's does have a dessert menu (consider adding cannolis!) Alice's opens at 4:30 p.m. Make those reservations, as suggested, to ensure you get a good seat. Enjoy the short, but picturesque walkway leading to Alice's, and the interior decor, which has a true Italian flare. Bon apetit!

Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

They have a few items not on the menu... kid's meal: chicken tenders/ fries... a sauce, too: buttery garlic sauce. And, a few items that might have been specials.

All the food we ordered was superb. However, the consensus was that my food was the best and everyone wished they had gotten it... cheese ravioli with the secret buttery garlic sauce and a pork chop. Kids meals came with an ice cream bar and were cooked perfectly.

Carrot cake was delicious...

Service was outstanding!!!!! Waitress went out of her way for us and the owner stopped by our table, too.

1  Thank Ellie-Fredrickson
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have dined at Alice's many times and can always count on a great meal. Can't beat the fantastic Italian cuisine. Good wine selection. Friendly owners and staff.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I live outside Chicago so we have plenty of choices for restaurants. I was in town for a business trip and I read the reviews for Alice's. This is a great restaurant and the service was outstanding. The owners are very nice and I would recommend this restaurant to anyone staying in the area. I tried the pork chop and the spaghetti. They have a very good wine list as well. Keep up the good work!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

How can you NOT want to go to a place called "Alice's Restaurant". Do you hate Arlo Guthrie or something? Seriously, this is a very fine Italian restaurant on the main drag of Iron River. Plenty of parking. Well maintained and interesting grounds outside of building. Nice atmosphere inside. Plenty of seating including places where you can have some privacy. The menu is vast, but all of us ate Italian which is about one page not including anipasto. I have mostaccioli with italian sausage. The mostaccioli was with 7 different cheeses, they were huge, tasty, perfectly done, and there were way to many for me to eat by myself; so, I shared. Likewise the sausages were huge and perfectly done. Waitstaff was fast and efficient. Other of our dinners took food with them as there was simply too much to eat. Yes, the prices are high, but considering both quality and quantity of servings, well worth it. I would like to go back and take my time eating and have a little wine; however the party I was with included small children and I was on motorcycle and bike and wine don't mix.