“Watch out for Tank”
Review of Ski Brule

Ski Brule
More attraction details
Owner description: Family-oriented outdoor recreation features "SKIwee" for kids 4 years and up, plus a 30-acre snowboard arena and 1/2 Pipe.
Reviewed January 9, 2012

A group of friends and I were sitting in our hot tub at around 7pm on a Sunday night looking to ski the next morning. To have some fun we bet one of the guys to run through the snow barefoot to the neighbors cabin and back. As soon as he got near the cabin, 'Tank', who we later found out is the mountain manager and on the board of directors, starting screaming at him. 'Tank' and another guy then ran up to us in the hot tub with golf clubs screaming and threatening to kill us. 'Tank' broke the golf club into pieces by smashing it on the hot tub we were sitting in and finally left after a 5 minute, very vulgar rant. The next morning we got a call from the front office saying we were banned from the resort and needed to leave immediately. We asked why and the lady told us that 'Tank' said our whole group ran up to his cabin bare naked, rang the doorbell many times, and showed his 2 kids our privates...at 10pm. When we tried to explain to her that none of this was true she didn't believe any of it even when we showed her the broken golf club and video we took of the damage at 7:30pm! She explained that people up in the UP are different than us and he had the right to do what he did and that we were lucky he didn't shoot us! For being the "friendliest ski resort in Michigan" they were not exactly demonstrating that well. If you do choose to go to this resort, which I definitely do not recommend, watch out for the one they call Tank...

13  Thank dale v

Reviewed January 1, 2012

I need to preface my review by saying I go skiing once a year, every year. I am not an advanced skier by any means, but I enjoy it and love returning to Brule every year! My family makes the drive up from Milwaukee every winter and enjoy starting on the easy slopes and advancing to intermediate and advanced as our weekend commences. I would not recommend the hills for serious skiers, but for a passing hobby, it is perfect! The cider and snacks in Homestead Lodge are great during a cold afternoon and the atmosphere is extremely family friendly. The UP is so beautiful in the winter and Ski Brule is a perfect place to experience it!

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I am not sure what happened to some of the other reviewers, but this place is great. The staff is simply outstanding. They were really great with the kids. We buy a 7 pack of tickets in the spring of every year and get them for $20 each. There are a lot of lifts and you rarely find any long lift lines. They are always first to open and last to close.

We had a large group and several people who had never skied before. There was a free clinic for them on Friday. They signed up in advance and got a free lesson, free rental and a free lift ticket. By the end of the weekend they were skiing all over.

The terrain is pretty standard for the Midwest. The homestead lodge is a nice place to stop for a quick warm up and a snack. The main lodge does get a little crowded on weekends at lunch. I recommend avoiding the busy hours. Also sign up for the Friends and Family card and you get some discounts.

1  Thank WIcamper77
Reviewed April 20, 2011

My kids had spring break at the end of March. I found some websites which recommended the ski lessons at Brule, and I saw on their website that they are usually open into April, so I was pretty sure they would have snow for the last week of March.
Neither my husband or my children had ever done any downhill skiing, and I had gone just a few times in high school, so we signed up for a private, family lesson. For around $275, we had two instructors for three hours. This was fabulous. We started out with the basics on the bunny hill, then we went up the lift about 5 times with our instructors. They each took one of our kids the first few times, so my husband and I could practice getting ourselves on and off the lifts before we had to assist the kids.
By the end of the lesson, our daughter who is often scared of heights was hopping onto the lift without a problem, and our son who is often reluctant to try new things was begging to go down black diamond slopes. Even we adults had a pretty good idea of how to get up and down the hill without killing ourselves!
We were there Monday-Thursday, and the place was almost empty. It was perfect for us, because we had lots of room and didn't have to wait for lifts or snacks. Our kids loved stopping halfway down the mountain at the Homestead Lodge for hot cocoa.
We rented a house at Brule, and our total cost was less than $2000 for five nights stay which included four days lift tickets and rentals for four people, tubing two nights, one dinner, and our wonderful lessons. What a deal!

Reviewed February 19, 2011

I'm torn about reviewing this ski area. The terrain is adequate for most levels of skiing. My son and myself (10 &35) got bored after a few hours but my wife and my daugter (7 &36) seemed to enjoy themselves. The homestead lodge was an utter disappointment. Management has an opportunity with this building, but it was a complete let down: The food was terrible and overpriced ($4.25 for a chicken sandwich where the chicken breast was the size of a pigeon breast) and the ambiance of a log cabin was less than acceptable. One oddity is how all of the lifts meet at the center of the hill..... While this seems like a great way to offer guests to chose a run, it becomes quite a cluster at the top with crowds where I almost hit crossing skiers several times coming off of the lift. My advice would be to those traveling more than 3 hours is to visit Granite Peak in Wausau for several reasons: First, Granite Peak is larger with more varied terrain. Second there are far better lodging choices in Wausau than Iron River. Finally, there are more than 3 restaurants worth eating at in Wausau. On a final note, one of our friends had a dead battery at the end of the day, and when we inquired at the lodge for help we were initially told that they "sell" jumper cables..... Seriously? They sell them? After the employee thought about it, he did come to help with his own cables..... Cudos to him for stepping up to the plate and not gouging guests after spending a couple hundred dollars for a day of skiing.