“A great place to learn how to ski”
Review of Ski Brule

Ski Brule
More attraction details
Owner description: Family-oriented outdoor recreation features "SKIwee" for kids 4 years and up, plus a 30-acre snowboard arena and 1/2 Pipe.
Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A great place to learn how to ski”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

My kids had spring break at the end of March. I found some websites which recommended the ski lessons at Brule, and I saw on their website that they are usually open into April, so I was pretty sure they would have snow for the last week of March.
Neither my husband or my children had ever done any downhill skiing, and I had gone just a few times in high school, so we signed up for a private, family lesson. For around $275, we had two instructors for three hours. This was fabulous. We started out with the basics on the bunny hill, then we went up the lift about 5 times with our instructors. They each took one of our kids the first few times, so my husband and I could practice getting ourselves on and off the lifts before we had to assist the kids.
By the end of the lesson, our daughter who is often scared of heights was hopping onto the lift without a problem, and our son who is often reluctant to try new things was begging to go down black diamond slopes. Even we adults had a pretty good idea of how to get up and down the hill without killing ourselves!
We were there Monday-Thursday, and the place was almost empty. It was perfect for us, because we had lots of room and didn't have to wait for lifts or snacks. Our kids loved stopping halfway down the mountain at the Homestead Lodge for hot cocoa.
We rented a house at Brule, and our total cost was less than $2000 for five nights stay which included four days lift tickets and rentals for four people, tubing two nights, one dinner, and our wonderful lessons. What a deal!

Visited March 2011

Wisconsin
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Not bad...... Not great, either”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I'm torn about reviewing this ski area. The terrain is adequate for most levels of skiing. My son and myself (10 &35) got bored after a few hours but my wife and my daugter (7 &36) seemed to enjoy themselves. The homestead lodge was an utter disappointment. Management has an opportunity with this building, but it was a complete let down: The food was terrible and overpriced ($4.25 for a chicken sandwich where the chicken breast was the size of a pigeon breast) and the ambiance of a log cabin was less than acceptable. One oddity is how all of the lifts meet at the center of the hill..... While this seems like a great way to offer guests to chose a run, it becomes quite a cluster at the top with crowds where I almost hit crossing skiers several times coming off of the lift. My advice would be to those traveling more than 3 hours is to visit Granite Peak in Wausau for several reasons: First, Granite Peak is larger with more varied terrain. Second there are far better lodging choices in Wausau than Iron River. Finally, there are more than 3 restaurants worth eating at in Wausau. On a final note, one of our friends had a dead battery at the end of the day, and when we inquired at the lodge for help we were initially told that they "sell" jumper cables..... Seriously? They sell them? After the employee thought about it, he did come to help with his own cables..... Cudos to him for stepping up to the plate and not gouging guests after spending a couple hundred dollars for a day of skiing.

Visited February 2011
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Great weekend of skiing!”
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We arrived at our hotel in Iron River on friday night, and drove the 10 minutes to Brule in the morning. The skiing was great - nice layout, good variety of runs (although nothing very technical). Excellent skiing from beginner to moderate. The staff were unbelievably nice - they really seemed to want us to have a good time! The Homestead Lodge is pretty awesome - ski-in-ski-out snacking, you can't beat it :) We didn't get quite as many runs in on Sunday due to the extreme cold conditions, but it was so much fun we still completed 30 runs before heading home - there was that much to enjoy! Advance tickets are a good idea, purchase early for an extra good deal on lift tickets.

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!”
Reviewed October 31, 2007

Don't' waste your money on this backwoods, red neck ant hill. In Feb the family and I drove up to ski brule from Chicago to give it a try. It was an absolute utter disappointment!!!!!!! The hill was so tiny! We would have been better off skiing our back yard rather than paying for overpriced tickets. The employees were completely rude and unfriendly. The lodge looked like something out of a 1970's horror movie. The condo we rented was infested with mice and the beds had dirty blood stained sheets. The mangement took no action on our housing complants!!!

Don't make the same mistake as us. This hill is awful and a horrible wasted of time and money!

6 Thank bearell
illinois
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 197 helpful votes
“Adorable Family Fun!”
Reviewed November 6, 2005

Michigan hills sure aren't Colorado mountains, but Ski Brule gets the whole "UP" idea right. Our kids (ages 7, 9 & 10) have enjoyed learning to ski at the awesome ski school. Our 3 year old is even begging to try this year! The different runs are wooded and cozy with levels of difficulty for everyone. The lodge (at the base of the hills)has great day care, good food, a bar with a cool view of the slopes. The best surprise is the Homestead Lodge. Ski right in for the BBQ, tubing and sleigh ride for old fashioned fun. Warm up with a spiked hot chocolate, or even sit out on the deck on a sunny day. Rental rates are cheap - so are the lift tickets. A wonderful atmosphere for a local midwestern getaway!

5 Thank siestaclaud