“Exceeded my expectations”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Iron Mountain
Portage,IN
“Exceeded my expectations”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I booked in Iron Mountain because of the price, and to take advantage of Comfort Inn's stay at 2 places and get $50 back promotion. I go fishing every year in Crystal Falls, but never have stayed in Iron Mountain, but I knew this hotel had been there for sometime. So I was worried what it would be like. I was shocked at the very nice lobby, and even more impressed when I went up to the room. The entire room looked brand new. Loved the hard or soft pillow choice. Very nice...very clean. Breakfast was sufficient.

I would certainly book there again. Perfect stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
IronMtComfort, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2014

906-774-5505

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I "ended up" here because the hotel I had reserved for a week 2 months prior to my arrival gave their only handicapped accessible room to someone else. So a very nice staff person in Iron River called every hotel she knew in the area for a room. There were either a lot of weddings or reunions because she could not find any accessible rooms nearby (in north woods terms nearby is about an hour's drive). There was one room in Iron Mountain however, that fit the bill. Just over an hour's highway drive to get there. So I went. I was pleasantly surprised by the staff and the clean & comfortable room.
There are short ramps to the front doors and a flat threshold. The only minus here is that the accessible room I had is as far as you can get from the front desk. The room however, was quiet and comfortable. It looked recently updated too.
The continental breakfast has eggs, meat, cereal, muffins, juice, waffles, etc. It is a real plus for me so I can take my time planning my day.
So my reason for coming to the Comfort Inn was not pleasant but I forgot all about that as soon as I stepped in the front door of the hotel. I will be back with relatives. I know they will enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
IronMtComfort, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2014

Reviewed July 19, 2014

If you like feeling matress coil springs, and enjoy feeling stiff, sore and sleep-deprived - this hotel is for you. BUT, if you want a good night's sleep on a halfway decent mattress, go somewhere else.

We stayed in the "Executive Suite". I went and asked for a different room with a better mattress immediately after sitting on the bed and feeling its metal coil springs press into my backside. We hadn't been in the room 2 minutes. The night clerk informed us all the mattresses were the same and had been replaced two years ago. It was late. We'd driven 11 hrs. Country Inn and Suites had no vacancy or we would have left. I checked, willing to walkout if Country Inn and Suites had a room!!!

I ended up pulling couch cushions onto the floor and trying to sleep that way, while my wife suffered on the King.

The rooms are outdated and our "Executive Suite", their most expensive room...well Let me just say I've slept better in Motel 6, Super 8, Knights Inn and many more less expensive hotels than this one. For the prices they charge here, they should provide a decent mattress.

It's telling that no comment cards can be found anywhere to leave suggestions and the sign out front read "Now hiring housekeepers".

I don't who wrote the other reviews here -a but they are suspicious to this sleepless customer.

A very poor value.

• Stayed July 2014

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Pulling into the Comfort Inn, I was wondering what I might have chosen. Located on the outskirts of town, the area isn't the most attractive area in Iron Mountain. But once inside, my wife and I were impressed on how clean, quiet, and well-appointed the rooms were. All the staff members were pleasant and helpful. And the room rates, well, it's a good deal. Free breakfast, too.

So for those of you who associate "budget hotel" with "dive," you may need to reconsider your prejudices. The Comfort Inn is a nice place, indeed.

Room Tip: Take a stroll **behind** the hotel. There's a historical display commemorating Iron Mountain...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IronMtComfort, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2014

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

This recently updated hotel is one of the cleanest and most comfortable I have ever stayed in. The furnishings and bedding are tasteful and conveniently arranged. The room was very spacious. We had a king bed with a full sofa and coffee table. I especially like the cabinet used to house the refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave. There is plenty of room to store and heat snacks.

I like the vanity and sink area that is separate from the tub and toilet. There was room for all my toiletries. The shower head and faucets are new. The shower head is adjustable. Lots of fluffy towels in both areas.

We were on the second floor and faced the street. During the day there was some road noise, but I didn't notice any at night. The inside corridors are carpeted and quiet.

Complimentary breakfast had boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, fresh fruit, pastries, bread, English muffins and all of the items you would normally expect. Again, very clean. Tables kept clean. There was a staff member there during the entire breakfast.

Every member of the staff was friendly, accommodating and professional. Kitty, who was at the front desk on the evening we arrived, is the best. I didn't like the location of our room. She moved us twice at my request until she found one I liked. She was very patient with me and found just what I requested. Kitty and everyone else on the staff was so pleasant. It really made our stay even more enjoyable.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IronMtComfort, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Snowmobiled here for stay Weds. Feb 5th. Off local snowmobile trail but big disappointment when found out it didn't have a pool or hot tub. There is an exercise room. After a long day on the trails you want to relax in a hot tub. They do offer a nice snowmobilers rate for rooms though. 3 adults in a double room sub $100. Nice rooms with fridge and microwave but beds and chairs in room were very hard. Quiet rooms. Internet at lobby computer is slow...I mean really slow!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jrome61
Angela J, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the online survey. We use feedback such as yours to continue to improve upon our customer's experience with us. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and it's amenities. Sorry that you were disappointed in the lack of pool or hot tub. We look forward to hopefully serving your future lodging needs.
Bayfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Staying at the Iron Mountain Comfort Inn is like staying with family. The staff is very friendly and quickly learn your name and preferences. The rooms were recently updated and the mattresses delightful. I stay at many Comfort Inns during my travels and this is the best.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IronMtComfort, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear James,

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out the online review and for the kind words. We strive to ensure that each guests stay is the best it can be and we are happy to hear that yours was to your satisfaction. We will share your feedback with our staff. Thank you for choosing the Iron Mountain Comfort Inn and we look forward to serving your future lodging needs!

Angela Johnson