“Good Experience”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Iron Mountain
Dallas, Texas
“Good Experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This is one of several newer motels in the area and I was very happy with my choice. The rooms are nicely appointed and I love the fact that there are no nasty bedspreads but instead the bed is double sheeted. And there are so many pillows. All different types and sizes too. The room was clean and the bathroom also was very nice and clean. I had a suite and was impressed that the kitchenette area had a microwave, refrigerator and sink. Also there were sets of plasticware and styrofoam plates in the cabinet. The internet was easily accessible and the plugs for my computer were easy to reach. I hate to have to move furniture to plug in my computer or phone charger. Everything here was well thought out. The front desk was helpful too. My plastic "key" didn't work after I checked in and I had to return to the front desk to get it reset. They called later to be certain that everything was working and that I was not having any other problems. I was very comfrotable here and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — No bedspreads
  • Disliked — loud A/C
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2008

The lobby was very nice with a seating area in front of the front desk and then another in an alcove off to the side, which I thought would be very nice if you wanted to talk to someone in peace without inviting them up to your room.

First of all, my room was very, very clean. The bed was so comfortable that I meant to take a look at the brand and the style number as I expect to be ordering a mattress set soon. There were plenty of pillows and they even had embroidery that marked them as 'soft' or 'firm' which I thought was a nice touch. They had more than basic cable, which is always nice. I hate when I check into a room and they don't have expanded cable. I want Bravo, HGTV, the Food Network, etc. this hotel delivers that.

The bathroom was very nicely appointed with an additional light in the tub/shower area and a rainforest shower head. There were more towels than you normally find in a hotel and that was nice too.

The breakfast was good including eggs and sausage, and the breakfast staff friendly, even pointing out to people where the trays were if anyone needed one. The microwave is in another room however and I had to have the front desk unlock it for me when I wanted to microwave something later in the evening. That was a bit of an inconvenience, but not enough to put me off this hotel.

The staff was over all very friendly, although I was surprised that they didn't have local maps at the ready for guests needing them. The clerk who checked me in seemed surprised at the request. She did call my room later to say she had found one, but I was in for the night at that point and had already managed to find what I needed. That's my only complaint and let's face it, it's a knit picky one!

I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Liked — Very nice, attractive room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Appleton, WI
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We just got back from a long weekend with friends at the Holiday Inn Iron Mountain MI. We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It was a new facility (even had the smell of new carpet as we entered the lobby). Our room was nice sized, comfortable bed, large flat screen TV, very nicely decorated and most importantly was very clean. The newness of everything certainly helped. Check in was simple, we arrived after 10pm so there was no line for checking in. My only negative comment would be the additional $7 charge per person for breakfast (which I do not believe to be negotiable if you do not choose to eat.) Although it was convenient to be able to sit down for coffee and a bite to eat right at the hotel, we would have had to eat alot of mini muffins, toast, bagels and cereal to get out moneys worth. One more comment, after a day outside in the cold weather a hot tub or whirlpool would have been wonderful. Unfortunately there was none.
We certainly would stay here again and were extremely happy with our choice of hotel. Good job Holiday Inn Express.

• Liked — The newness
  • Disliked — No whirlpool or hot tub
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Torrington, Wyoming
Reviewed January 2, 2008

My husband and I decided to take a last minute "holiday" to welcome in the New Year. We chose the HI Express because it was new and was one of the hotels in Iron Mountian that we had not tried before.

We will go back to staying at the Comfort Inn on future visits! Yes, the hotel was clean and new and the room size was adequate. We had a King suite with sofabed and flat screen TV. Much to our surprise, there was no microwave or refrigerator, no spa in the pool area and no jacuzzi rooms in the hotel.

When we arrived in our room, there was only foam coffee cups. My husband called the front desk and was told that (she) couldn't leave her post, we would have to come down to get plastic cups. I went down to the front desk only to learn that she could only find 1 cup! So we toasted the New Year with foam coffee cups. Ugh!

The housekeeping staff was knocking on our door at 8:20 the next morning! Guess they were in a hurry to get home. The same thing happened the next day (New Years Day). We thought that was terribly inconsiderate.

We stayed 2 nights (Dec 30 and 31) and ate the breakfast only one morning. That was enough for us! Some folks may be perfectly happy with this type of breakfast buffet - tasteless round scrambled egg patties, round sausage patties about 1'8" thick, the usual bagel, English Muffin, dry cereal, hard-boiled eggs, juice and coffee fare. The best thing about breakfast was the yogurt.

Upon check-out, we were surprised at the rate we were charged. It was $7 higher than we expected. We were told that the rate we were quoted was for 1 person! The additional $7 was to pay for the cost of breakfast for the second person. We had never had that happen to us before and believe me, we travel a lot! You can bet that Holiday Inns will not be our choice anytime in the near future. Be wary! Check your rate and get a good explanation of what you will ultimately pay for that overnight stay. And, the Comfort Inn (next door) has always treated us well. Try them.

• Liked — The hotel was newly built.
  • Disliked — The amenities.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Grayslake
Reviewed November 16, 2007

We had reservations at another place but have learned to always look at the rooms (we'll be giving a testimony about that place after writing this one). The Holiday Inn is fairly new we believe open since around August of 2007 - two floors - very-very clean - linens and pillows wonderful from firm to soft and written on the pillow for your choice. Obviously something important to us. We rented two room - for ourselves a king which housed a decent area sitting room with love seat and easy chair /coffee table- separate room for the bed - we believe a 32 inch TV and a clean bathroom - sizeable - shower head very high and very nice (different from the standard heads). Quiet and well worth the money. The second room we rented due to a funeral was a room with double queen beds for our mom - she was thrilled - again very clean / quiet and very nice space within - bathroom as ours - We would without doubt recommend highly renting here as you will not be disappointed whatsoever. And..if you're like us whether it's one night or more you want to be comfortable - very, very nice place - staff very courteous and helpful - even called once we were in the room to see if all was okay and did we need anything. Unusal in this day and age in our opinions!

• Liked — clean large rooms and they offered a wonderful buffet for breakfast included in the room price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank gigagirl
Marengo, IL
Reviewed September 18, 2007

This hotel was by far the best place we stayed on our 7 day Mackinaw Island UP vacation and will be put in as our fravorite..The hotel staff was very friendly . The room was very clean, bright, large with a flat screen TV, very comfortable bed and pillows, and rich decor. The bathroom was clean, large, had a sunflower shower head and fluffy towels. The Start Breakfast Bar offered Hot Cinnamon Rolls along with a huge variety of breakfast foods including Biscuits & Gravy. We have no negative things to add about the hotel and will stay here again and recommend it to others. The rooms are priced below the going average price, but the value and service is way above the higher price hotels.

Stayed September 2007