“Worth the stop!”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Worth the stop!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I have attended a number of World War II Glider Pilot reunions because my dad was a Glider pilot during World War II. I have seen pictures of gliders and in Greenville Michigan they have a small museum that has the body of a glider from WWII bu until Iron Mountain I had never seen a complete plane, wings and all. They have done an excellent job showing what it must have looked like before my dad took of off from England for Normandy. They have quite a bit of information about the glider missions in Europe and the South Pacific. The collection includes a very good collection of military uniforms beginning with the Civil War, as well as some antique cars. Worth a stop for sure.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Greenlandgirl

Iron Mountain, Michigan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“My Hometown Pick”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I am so proud of my community for providing this wonderful restoration of historical significance to the area. Linda D has done a wonderful job of describing the museum.
I took our 10 year old grandson and he was fascinated by the displays and read many of the stories. The volunteer gentleman who was present, also was very knowledgeable about the local involvement in WWII.
It is a hometown pick I will continue to have my visitors visit.

Visited August 2013
Oakdale, Minnesota, United States
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Rainy or Sunny Day activity”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My interest in WWII history led us here, as well as its association with another local museum, the Cornish Pump museum, interesting to my husband! The Glider Museum displays not only a fully reconstructed GC-4A glider but other military historical artifacts as well. All is very tastefully presented and thoroughly documented. The museum was established and is maintained by locals who wanted to preserve the Kingsford/Iron Mountain history of building these gliders at the local Ford plant during the war. The glider's place in this event is told through a number of stories as well as factual drawings, designs and processes used to build these gliders. The result is a fascinating display proudly marking the region's place in history. Highly recommend!

Visited July 2013