“The lits are dim for a reason...”
Review of Fontana's Supper Club - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fontana's Supper Club
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed March 5, 2014

OK, I asked for a recommendation at the front desk at the hotel and the check in gal said Fontana's was fabulous. Guess her definition of fabulous and mine are not the same. 7 pm on a Wednesday and there are only three tables being served (including mine). Cavernous wood paneled tomb feel to the place. The bartender was nice. The hostess/waitress was pleasant enough. I opted for the Steak-N- which consisted of a 10 oz. sirloin, a side salad, bread and the smallest restaurant served sweet potato I've ever seen. Size of a plum Unfortunately, the plum sized potato was the best part of the meal. Ordered the steak medium. It was slightly past rare. Returned it. Less than a minute later it was back. Much hotter but not cooked much more. Chef Mike at his best. Too tired to argue. Server asked if it still wasn't cooked enough. I replied "no". She took it away and returned with my bill. My dog will love the doggie bag. Take my advise. If you are in Iron Mountain and you want quality food, cooked right, served by attentive staff and worth the money, don't go to Fontana's. Go to Spiro's. Have the shrimp and polenta cakes. Thank me later.

3  Thank Shannon G
There are newer reviews for Fontana's Supper Club

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Lat night my wife and I decided to go out to dinner. It had been awhile and we wanted to go someplace nice and so we chose Fontana's. We parked by the entrance and walked in about 7PM and were greeted with a friendly and polite greeting and immediately seated. Our waitress was Sally and she took our order right away and served us with ice water and coffee in the meantime. She was cheerful, friendly and more than efficient. My wife ordered the crab legs and I decided on the 16oz fillet. I was abit worried about ordering my steak as "brown through", knowing that this could easily be messed up, but it turned out that we had absolutely nothing to fret about. My steak came out tender and juicy and done perfectly-not over or under done at all. My wife's crab legs were brought out on a huge platter and again were done perfectly. Throughout the meal, our waitress made several pit stop inquiries to check on our satisfaction with everything and to see if we needed anything at all more and we were left in peace to enjoy our dinners. Both meals were quite tasty and filling and were more than enough to eat. No one annoyed us with pushing drinks or anything else of the sort. To me, this denoted Class-the way a Supper Club Should be.
The atmosphere was quiet and subdued and the decor was tasteful and clean. We could ask for nothing more. It was a fine meal in a very nice setting and staffed by efficient and cheerfully helpful employees. Our total bill with no alcohol came up in the neighborhood of $60 and we considered this well worth it. We had No room for dessert!

1  Thank WilliamGriffith
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I love the fact that there is such a rich and deep connection with the history of aviation...largely fueled by Henry Ford's need for raw materials for his automobiles. Accordingly, the airport is named "Ford Field" and there are wonderful pictures in the restaurant. The food is typical "Iron Mountain Italian" passed down through the generations of immigrants from Italy who came in the 1890's to mine iron. Don't miss this experience!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I proposed to my wife here 19 years ago while on vacation in Iron Mountain. At the time this was the place to go in Iron Mountain for a great meal. What the hell happened. The facility needs to be upgraded and cleaned. The food went way downhill. Service staff has an attitude. Sadly one of the places nearest to both my wifes and my heart we will never visit again until there is a change in ownership.

3  Thank jim j
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've been to a lot of fine Italian restaurants, including Little Italy in NYC, and Baltimore. This gem in Iron Mountain, Michigan is a real nifty Italian and American place that surprised me...in a very positive way! Fontana's, I have been told, has been "around" for a long time, and has gone through ownership changes. I had dinner there last evening with some locals who say that through these changes, the food has remained consistently excellent. I believe it. We skipped an extensive drinks menu and got right down "to business." Our group of three ordered some various cuts of steak, with side pasta dishes. Steak: (a) rare, (b) medium-rare (mine), and (c) medium. I thought "Ok, who will get the under or overly grilled steak?" Nope...all three came out P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. How unusual is THAT for a restaurant? My 16 oz. bad-boy filet mignon was superb. The accompanying fettucini alfredo was the perfect consistency (not wimpy-runny, nor globby thick). I ordered a side order of cheese ravioli (this is the "real stuff," folks)...oh yea! That word "perfect" keeps popping up in my mind, but I swear....Salad was basic and uninspiring, but the Ranch salad dressing was fresh and just the right amount of zing. Lettuce fresh? Check. No problem. Great desserts with cheesecake- again, fresh and yum...yea, tasty. Oh man, I shouldn't have, but it was sooo good.
Service: I read with irritation another "reviewer" comment that they received less that outstanding service. Sorry, but I have a difficult time "buying" that, based on our experience last night and my colleagues' previous experience in this restaurant. Sally was our waitress, and she just flat out got things "right." She is an example of a waitress that neither underserves you, nor hovers over you all night long. She was there exactly when she needed to be and made some excellent recommendations for the side dishes (A+). She performed as someone who actually WANTED to be there, and was genuinely friendly. Our bill came not in the middle of the meal, but appropriately, when it was obvious that we were finished. Dishes cleared...voila! Let me say this- we walked in, were IMMEDIATELY seated, and bang-zip, the waitress was right there at our table asking us what she could get right away for us. NO PROBLEM.
Decor: You might characterize this restaurant decor as more of a man's man decor, (without any wall-mounted fish or moose heads, etc.) A lot of neat oak wood. A lot of booths in addition to a table section. I personally like these big, comfortable booths with variable set-you-own brightness lamps- how cool!
Conclusion: I am excited that we have a wonderful restaurant as this in the Dickinson/Delta County vacinity. We actually drove out from Escanaba, and we would do it again "in a heartbeat." I like to do reviews because I want folks to experience good food and good sites out there, and to avoid the "bummers." THIS place is a winner and it has a friendly staff to back it up. When we were leaving, two other staff members said a warm "Bye, thanks for coming!" That's the kind of out-to-dinner experience that I want, and I trust that this is the kind of experience that you will have at Fontana's. Bon appetit!