“What happened.”

Add it.
Fontana's Supper Club
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I proposed to my wife here 19 years ago while on vacation in Iron Mountain. At the time this was the place to go in Iron Mountain for a great meal. What the hell happened. The facility needs to be upgraded and cleaned. The food went way downhill. Service staff has an attitude. Sadly one of the places nearest to both my wifes and my heart we will never visit again until there is a change in ownership.

3  Thank jim j

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've been to a lot of fine Italian restaurants, including Little Italy in NYC, and Baltimore. This gem in Iron Mountain, Michigan is a real nifty Italian and American place that surprised me...in a very positive way! Fontana's, I have been told, has been "around" for a long time, and has gone through ownership changes. I had dinner there last evening with some locals who say that through these changes, the food has remained consistently excellent. I believe it. We skipped an extensive drinks menu and got right down "to business." Our group of three ordered some various cuts of steak, with side pasta dishes. Steak: (a) rare, (b) medium-rare (mine), and (c) medium. I thought "Ok, who will get the under or overly grilled steak?" Nope...all three came out P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. How unusual is THAT for a restaurant? My 16 oz. bad-boy filet mignon was superb. The accompanying fettucini alfredo was the perfect consistency (not wimpy-runny, nor globby thick). I ordered a side order of cheese ravioli (this is the "real stuff," folks)...oh yea! That word "perfect" keeps popping up in my mind, but I swear....Salad was basic and uninspiring, but the Ranch salad dressing was fresh and just the right amount of zing. Lettuce fresh? Check. No problem. Great desserts with cheesecake- again, fresh and yum...yea, tasty. Oh man, I shouldn't have, but it was sooo good.
Service: I read with irritation another "reviewer" comment that they received less that outstanding service. Sorry, but I have a difficult time "buying" that, based on our experience last night and my colleagues' previous experience in this restaurant. Sally was our waitress, and she just flat out got things "right." She is an example of a waitress that neither underserves you, nor hovers over you all night long. She was there exactly when she needed to be and made some excellent recommendations for the side dishes (A+). She performed as someone who actually WANTED to be there, and was genuinely friendly. Our bill came not in the middle of the meal, but appropriately, when it was obvious that we were finished. Dishes cleared...voila! Let me say this- we walked in, were IMMEDIATELY seated, and bang-zip, the waitress was right there at our table asking us what she could get right away for us. NO PROBLEM.
Decor: You might characterize this restaurant decor as more of a man's man decor, (without any wall-mounted fish or moose heads, etc.) A lot of neat oak wood. A lot of booths in addition to a table section. I personally like these big, comfortable booths with variable set-you-own brightness lamps- how cool!
Conclusion: I am excited that we have a wonderful restaurant as this in the Dickinson/Delta County vacinity. We actually drove out from Escanaba, and we would do it again "in a heartbeat." I like to do reviews because I want folks to experience good food and good sites out there, and to avoid the "bummers." THIS place is a winner and it has a friendly staff to back it up. When we were leaving, two other staff members said a warm "Bye, thanks for coming!" That's the kind of out-to-dinner experience that I want, and I trust that this is the kind of experience that you will have at Fontana's. Bon appetit!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have gone up to iron Mountain many times. This used to be the place to go for a great dinner. Granted there was a large party of us ( about 30 or so . ) It took 3 hours total to have dinner here. Food was cold , and when one of the workers heard one of my family members complaining he actually made a point of confronting him and starting an argument instead of saying he was sorry for such poor service. Very disappointed in this place , and I don't think I will go there again on my next trip to Iron Mountain. Plus they kept trying to push overpriced drinks on us while we were waiting forever for our food.

1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We got there at 1700 as they opened. We were directed to the bar to for just a bit". After an hour with no one at the tables, the hostess came and took our order...at the bar.. and said she would call us. about 45 min later we were seated at a table and given our salad. seems that they wanted people to sit and spend money at the bar.

2  Thank EDWARD O
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The whole menu is good at Fontana's, we have tried all of the other imitators like T&T and Bartoletti's in Aurora or Romagnoli's etc. Fontana is dated in appearance but their food is amazing, real homemade pastas, great sauces and superior steaks at cheaper than you would think prices.

2  Thank NorthwoodsMatt