“Second chance, definitely worth it!!!!”

American Inn & Suites Ionia
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ionia
“Second chance, definitely worth it!!!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Wow! I cant wait to stay in September 2013.....
I vowed never to stay at this hotel again. In september 2012 it was a very bad experience.
This hotel is under new owners & management, our room was very clean, and totally remodeled, new carpet, beds, curtains, furniture, and our rooms had a refrigerator and new T.V. System, the Internet worked great..... We used the pool, the heating coil went out on the hot tub, but they were working on it :)
The continental breakfest was fresh.....
And the hotel staff was wonderful!
This hotel is in great location, it's located right across from the fairgrounds, where our event was.
So glad we gave this hotel a second chance, thank you for our wonderful stay..... See ya in September.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Mitravler00
americanmgmt, Manager at American Inn & Suites Ionia, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to see your comments about our good amenities, our perfect location and extremely thankful to read that our staff was professional and amiable. Thank you again for posting your review! We look forward to your return visit !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Belleville, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was in Ionia for a bowling tournament this past weekend. We had reserved eight rooms for our group for Saturday night. The people in two rooms decided to go a day early and checked in on Friday to stay until Sunday. Five rooms checked in on Saturday. While at a dinner/event Saturday night, the manager called us about four times to argue that we he was charging us for three additional rooms. The people who decided to arrive on Friday and stay an extra night "no longer counted" toward our eight rooms. He said he'd "do us a favor" and give us credit for one of the rooms. We should have cancelled the 8th room when we realized we didn't need it but to charge us for three when they gained two extra night stays was the foulest customer service I have EVER encountered. It was rude an unprofessional to continue to contact someone when they were at their event that they were in town for.

The room was disgusting. The sheets were so old that they were no longer "white". The room smelled of urine. The pool and hot tub were not available (not that I would have dared to get in one). The toilet was plugged in one of our rooms. The carpet and wall paper was coming off the floor and walls.

I wouldn't even recommend it "if you just need somewhere to sleep". DISGUSTING!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sherry G
Suzanne S, Manager at American Inn & Suites Ionia, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our property. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you felt you experienced with us. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than great service. All claims against this property and/or staff will be further investigated and corrected where necessary. I hope you will give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Travelers are raving about these Ionia hotels

Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The staff was excellent! My room was musty and severely outdated. The carpet was wrinkled indicative of prior water damage... glad I brought my slippers. Windows were filthy. WiFi was not working properly in my section of the building. Phone did not work in my room. The pool had recently been refurbished and was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Denise_D07
Hale, Michigan, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013

OMG!!! The new owners have done so much work to this place! We stayed here not long ago before the new owners and as others said before it was not so great BUT these new owners have done soooooooo much work since then. The clerk working tonight took us on a tour of the newer updated rooms (not completly finished but very close to it) and we were so impressed! We can't wait till we come back next month and get to stay in the new improved rooms. Even the rooms that have yet to be updated are in better condition than when we previously stayed. I am very happy that we gave this place a second chance :)

The staff here are extremly accommodating. I've never felt so welcomed. Hopefully the pool and hot tub updates will be done soon too so we can swim next time. I would definitly recommend staying here - don't be afraid to give this place a second try.

Oh and I saw that there is a coupon on the website for discounted rooms. I didn't try using it yet but plan to.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in their newly updated rooms :) We saw some rooms down at the end of the hall on the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Jessica S
Thank you for your nice review! It is always a pleasure for us to get nice comments and we are really happy that you appreciate our efforts ! Thank you again for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Much like other visitors, we found this place to be outdated and the mis-matched, paper-thin linens on the bed suggested that they run to a local store if they needed to replace sheets or pillow cases. Our family rented 3 rooms that night. One couple had to change their room because the toilet didn't flush but then got one where there were dead ants under the lamp on the table! We had reserved a room with a king size bed several days before but, when we checked in, they told us there were none available even though the place was less than half full. Our room had empty packages on the floor from snacks the previous lodgers had dropped. A couple of the breakfast tables had jelly smeared on them and when we told the manager he said, "That happens all the time" and just walked back into his office where he seemed to hang out most of the time. The mattress was comfortable so that was a plus.
The appearance of the hotel seems nice and the pool looked nice but looks can be deceiving. Overall quality was poor: the place is just not kept up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Traveler0303
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed September 28, 2012

after staying three days it isn't nicest place you will stay in but the people are friendly and conditions i have seen worse. i will stay again if i have to come back up for business but if your coming up don't think its the Hiltonw.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Last weekend I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. My friend and I were staying in a room together. She arrived before I did and attempted to check in to the room. The front desk associate explained that our room would not be available for 3 more hours due to cleaning. She explained that she needed a different room due to the wedding we had to prepare for that was in 3 hours. The front desk associate provided us with a different room. Upon my arrival, I was issued a key and went up to the room. The hotel is only two stories, so there was not an elevator (that I could see nor found).

When you walk in to the front desk, you overlook the indoor pool. However, the pool was closed for our entire stay. I am not sure of the reason being it was an indoor pool. It was a bit of an inconvenience being that we would have enjoyed a swim.

Our room was a double bed non smoking. The room was very outdated. The wallpaper was starting to rip off the wall. The light/exhaust fan combo did not work in the bathroom nor was there even a switch to turn it on. There was another light in the bathroom that did work, however, the bathroom got very hot without the fan. The TV was almost un-watchable due to the fuzzy cable channels and picture quality of the old tube TV. I tried adjusting the brightness but it only helped a little. The room was also equipped with a microwave and minifridge. I opened the mini fridge for a second and it smelled horrible. We did not use either on our trip. I inspected the coffee maker provided as well, but did not attempt to use it being that it was dirty and had caked on grease from not being properly cleaned. Speaking of cleanliness, the bathroom shower still had someone's hair all over the walls.

The room also comes with a complimentary breakfast. There are signs on the TV advertising late night pizza from local establishments and also the checkout time and hours of the continental breakfast. We stayed Saturday evening, so we noticed the advertised hours for the breakfast ended at 10am on Saturdays and Sundays. I walked down at 9:30 to receive breakfast and the tables and chairs were all stacked up and food put away. Then I noticed a sign that said "Breakfast ends daily at 9am." That was very inconvenient due to the in room signs advertising different times.

All in all, this hotel is very outdated and needs better consistency with their signage in room. Also, all amenities should be available at all times during the stay. I will not be returning to stay there in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank centro7710
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ionia
Super 8 Ionia MI
Econo Lodge & Suites
#18 of 49 in Grand Rapids
Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites
Union Hill Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to American Inn & Suites Ionia? Share your experiences!