“average budget motel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ionia
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“average budget motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

after staying three days it isn't nicest place you will stay in but the people are friendly and conditions i have seen worse. i will stay again if i have to come back up for business but if your coming up don't think its the Hiltonw.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Last weekend I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. My friend and I were staying in a room together. She arrived before I did and attempted to check in to the room. The front desk associate explained that our room would not be available for 3 more hours due to cleaning. She explained that she needed a different room due to the wedding we had to prepare for that was in 3 hours. The front desk associate provided us with a different room. Upon my arrival, I was issued a key and went up to the room. The hotel is only two stories, so there was not an elevator (that I could see nor found).

When you walk in to the front desk, you overlook the indoor pool. However, the pool was closed for our entire stay. I am not sure of the reason being it was an indoor pool. It was a bit of an inconvenience being that we would have enjoyed a swim.

Our room was a double bed non smoking. The room was very outdated. The wallpaper was starting to rip off the wall. The light/exhaust fan combo did not work in the bathroom nor was there even a switch to turn it on. There was another light in the bathroom that did work, however, the bathroom got very hot without the fan. The TV was almost un-watchable due to the fuzzy cable channels and picture quality of the old tube TV. I tried adjusting the brightness but it only helped a little. The room was also equipped with a microwave and minifridge. I opened the mini fridge for a second and it smelled horrible. We did not use either on our trip. I inspected the coffee maker provided as well, but did not attempt to use it being that it was dirty and had caked on grease from not being properly cleaned. Speaking of cleanliness, the bathroom shower still had someone's hair all over the walls.

The room also comes with a complimentary breakfast. There are signs on the TV advertising late night pizza from local establishments and also the checkout time and hours of the continental breakfast. We stayed Saturday evening, so we noticed the advertised hours for the breakfast ended at 10am on Saturdays and Sundays. I walked down at 9:30 to receive breakfast and the tables and chairs were all stacked up and food put away. Then I noticed a sign that said "Breakfast ends daily at 9am." That was very inconvenient due to the in room signs advertising different times.

All in all, this hotel is very outdated and needs better consistency with their signage in room. Also, all amenities should be available at all times during the stay. I will not be returning to stay there in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank centro7710
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

We've been staying at this hotel 3 or 4 times a year for the past 10 years to visit family. Nothing has been upgraded at this place in that entire time, and I mean nothing. It still has the same bedspreads and carpet from 10 years ago. The carpet is wrinkled and worn. The sheets are so pathetically thin and worn, you can practically see through them.
The bathroom was dirty and you could see a ring around the tub from previous guests bathing. The shower curtain had mold on the bottom, and there was hair and dirt on the floor.
The mattress - OMG. The worst ever! My back was killing me because of how poor quality and ancient the mattress was.
The last 2 times we were at this hotel, the pool was freezing and the heater in the room wasn't even turned on. I noticed that they removed the knobs so nobody can turn on the heat. Ridiculous! The jacuzzi is non functioning and now there's algae growing in it. The room should have been steamy and warm, but it was just too cold to hang out in there. The only reason we stay at this hotel is for the pool & jacuzzi. But never again. I'm so incredibly done with this hotel. From now on we will stay in Portland, which is only 20 minutes away.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bead-Lady-10
Auburn, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

The good:
helpful front desk guy-fast check in
beds were clean
mini fridge & microwave in room
gave us extra of anyhing we needed
The bad:
hot tub was out of order
outside door latch was broken-anyone could walk in
tv stations were fuzzy
The ugly:
as my boyfriend put it-"The room smelled like somebody died in there"
(after a trip to the nearby dollar store for air freshener, it smelled much better in there)

If you are just looking for a place to sleep, not a place to hang out, this is it

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank AUfan79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ionia
Super 8 Ionia MI
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Greenville
BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
Union Hill Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to American Inn & Suites Ionia? Share your experiences!