“Caution: The Right Photographer Can Make a Dump Look Nice!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Northwoods Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Indian River
Northwoods Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Indian River
Detroit, Michigan
“Caution: The Right Photographer Can Make a Dump Look Nice!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

What a HUGE disappointment!!! The room was ridiculously small, but did include a squashed bug on the wall. The mattress on the bed was incredibly uncomfortable and sunk into the bed frame. No water pressure in the shower. Neither the refrigerator nor the air conditioner worked properly. Carpet on the outside stairs was worn and threadbare.

The continental breakfast, served in a cramped little room, simply sucked!!! Frozen bagels, packaged/store bought "pastries," and awful coffee did not satisfy anyone! As for the much-advertised waffles, stay away. The person working there actually pulled out a tub and proceeded to mix the batter (powder + water = disgusting) in front of us. Do what we did: Bite the bullet, spend a few bucks, and go to Paula's Cafe (about a mile away) for a GREAT breakfast.

The staff is unhelpful, uninterested, and unprofessional!!!

All in all, this place is over-hyped, over-priced, and just depressing!!! While there aren't exactly a lot of choices in Indian River, I recommend looking elsewhere!!! If I am going to have a campground-like experience, why should I pay hotel prices??? Shoulda' just gone camping!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Courtney K, Front Office Manager at Northwoods Lodge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry that you did not have a positive stay experience. I can understand why not having the air conditioning work properly would be frustrating and apologize for this. Typically our maintenance team can fix it or a room change is offered. I wish you would have told us while you were here.

I am also sorry our continental breakfast was not to your liking. We strive to listen to our guests of their likes/dislikes and feel we offer a good variety of what most people enjoy.

I'm sure had you mentioned any of this to our attentive staff they would have been diligent in trying to make sure your stay was as accommodating as possible. Again, I'm just sorry it wasn't brought to our attention.

Since it was to my dismay to read that you were not happy with your stay with, I hope you contact me directly so I can identify the room number you were in and offer a personal apology.

Thank you again for your review and apologize that you did not have an enjoyable stay. I do hope you return so we can show you that your experience is not typical of a guest that stays with us. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy travels -

Courtney Kolatski
231-238-8181
courtney@racc2000.com

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hope
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed in your Northwoods Lodge in Indian River MI. the lodage was liike a five star hotel. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was very polite and helpful by going out of their way to making everything perfect. The atmosphere felt like home. I will definetly stay there in the near future. I would recommend this lodge to anyone that is spending time in the Indian River area.

Terry Meyette

Room Tip: The two Queen size bed rooms were perfect. There is a picture window.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Terry M
SW Michgian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

Booked two nights here based on the website and some other reviews. The property is well maintained, the rooms where clean. Service was ok, (we put the sign on the door handle requesting updated towels. It was never done. When we asked why... they said they weren't sure if the sign was left by accident. Really? What's the purpose of the door hanger if you are going to second guess it?) Breakfast was continental with waffles. Very adequate. Staff was friendly. Really have no complaints except price. The Inn is located about a mile north of Indian River. It's not on the water, so it's hard for me to justify the $130 a night we ended up paying. We were quoted less on the phone for the reservation but the owner told me it was a staff mistake. Once again not a giant deal, but still... I will say that the place was booked the weekend we were there in August, so obviously others were willing to pay the price. For comparison We stayed our first night at a comfort Inn in a nearby northern town for $79 a night. It was just as nice with a bigger room and the service was better. So this is a nice Inn, very well kept, with clean rooms, adequate service, but just not worth $130 a night. Wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Stratford, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We bicycled through Indian River on our way to Mackinac Island and back, and stayed here two nights - once on the way up, and once on the way back.
The manager was friendly and accommodating, the rooms were comfortable and the breakfast, including belgian waffles, was fine. We also enjoyed the firepit.
The beds were firm and towels were thin, but everything was clean, which is a primary consideration. The free wi-fi worked fine too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Cheboygan
Stafford's Perry Hotel
Stafford's Perry Hotel
#2 of 15 in Petoskey

Been to Northwoods Lodge? Share your experiences!