“very good experience, all around very nice hotel.”
Review of Hometown Inn

Hometown Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Indian River
st. clair twp. michigan
“very good experience, all around very nice hotel.”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

nice pool & hot tub, staff was curteus to us all the time , room was clean , had a very pleasant stay , no complaints . breakfast was nice variety & good .. would visit again

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank stclair10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Michigan
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I was really surprised at my stay this weekend. This is a friendly little place with wonderful rates, and great rooms and amenities for the price. The afternoon shift staff, I think his name was Guy, was outstanding. He made it feel like he was our friend and was very helpful. He helped us find the best restaurants in the area, made sure we were happy with our room, etc. I even was present when a bus driver had a problem with a reservation his company apparently never made for him. Guy is very good with people and put the driver at ease. He took care of the customer professionally and in a friendly way, just like he did for us. The midnight staffer, a female (name unk), was a little odd, but did good enough. Breakfast was good considering it was a free breakfast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrtravelmanx
Indian River, MI
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I live in Indian River and had extended family visit over the holidays so we needed a place for them to stay. The rates at the Hometown Inn where very low and fare. The location is great, right of the expressway. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The pool and spa were lovely. We would recommend this hotel to all travelers.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank letmeskinow
Holland, MI
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My spouse, myself and another couple checked into this hotel on 08/18/2009 and were met by Angie who is NOT a good representative of this establishment. Barely answered our questions, when asked if we could park our motorcycles under the overhang she said NO, park in back, police drive through all the time. However, in the morning another motorcycle was allowed to park there. Her main purpose was to watch TV! That was where she was parked (lobby) when we left for dinner, where she was when we came back and she never utter a word to us - very rude. Our room was ok, nothing special, but clean. In the morning there was a very friendly person at the front desk and when my husband spoke with her she was very apologetic and hoped that when we came back through we would try them again. We will not.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank samson38
irHometownInn, General Manager at Hometown Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
As the manager of the property I would like to express my apologies to the people involved in this review.

Technically speaking Angie was correct in stating that parking under the awning is not allowed it is a fire-lane, and that should have been expressed to other person who did park under there.

We try our best to be friendly and helpfull to all of our guests, and I am sincerely sorry we failed on this occasion.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2009

If you're spending a few days in and around Indian River, Burt Lake, or Mullett Lake, the Hometown Inn is about your choice for a hotel other than driving to Cheboygan, Mackinaw City, Petoskey or the airport in Pellston.

A good location right off I-75, the Hometown Inn was until about a year ago a Holiday Inn Express franchise. It's my understanding the then-owners refused to make some of the upgrades that are being imposed on Holiday Inn Express franchises.

The first thing I noticed upon checking in was a large sign reading "under new management." The lobby has an up-north lodge feel, is clean and welcoming. There is also a large pool that is regularly used by locals for swimming in the colder months.

Rates weren't too expensive -- they hovered between $69 and $80 on a weekend. The rooms are basic. The TV may be older, but it has 99 channels. The decor is basic and is probably original to when the hotel opened as a Holiday Inn Express in the late 1990s.

I was given a smoking room, though I don't smoke and there were no ash trays in the room. (There also wasn't any odor.)

On the downside, the rooms are basic. There's no coffeemaker, and the complimentary toiletries -- still carrying the Holiday Inn Express logo -- are limited with only a bar of hand soap and a small bottle of shampoo (with no conditioner) provided. On the positive side, the Hometown Inn provides free wireless internet, which is very good and super fast. While I was disappointed not to have a coffeemaker, there was an iron and ironing board, as well as a hairdryer in the room.

The air conditioning worked well in my room, which was generally clean and well attended, though I did fine a piece of hair in the bathtub.

I didn't take advantage of the breakfast bar, but there seemed to be a fair number of people having a meal in the morning and I didn't overhear any complaints. The public spaces seemed clean, though the lighting in the hotel seemed a bit dark.

Overall, this is a decent hotel and is probably better than the other local hotels/motels. On the downside, it doesn't offer much frills and could use a redesign of the interior and lighting. If you're staying for a couple days around Indian River, you really won't find a better place to stay other than a cottage.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
#8 of 15 in Petoskey
Star Gate Motel
Star Gate Motel
#1 of 6 in Indian River

Been to Hometown Inn? Share your experiences!