“Greasy burger - austere setting - Need to make improvements before I return”
Review of Mikey's Burgers and Fries - CLOSED

Mikey's Burgers and Fries
Cuisines: American
South Lyon, Michigan
“Greasy burger - austere setting - Need to make improvements before I return”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My husband and I stopped in on a Monday around lunchtime. As it was our first visit we saw only the menu on the wall, a few other customers and staff behind the counter working in the kitchen. After we placed our order for the standard 'Mikey Burger' we were told to have a seat and our order would be announced to us. The customer in front of us was told the same. After a few minutes a number was called out - however we had NOT been given a number. The girl behind the counter 'described' what was in the bag and the previous customer picked it up. Another number was called out - not in sequence - and that was our order. I'd asked for mustard and ketchup in addition to 'onions and pickles'. The burger was served hot on a bun that had been grilled with something like butter or oil - it wasn't bad tasting but I didn't know what that oily substance was and there had been no mention of it. I had asked for no mayo as I'm trying to eat more healthfully. As we were eating our burgers we noticed something dripping from them (juices? oils?) - whatever it was congealed on the paper-foil wrapper. Talk about ruining my appetite!

After we opened the wrapped burgers up we observed that there were two patties in the bun, very little mustard and ketschup (which btw is available at a stand in the seating area); 1 pickle slice and a couple of strands of onion. Somewhat sparse on the trimmings. Everything else is an additional charge (grilled onions, etc.). Beverages available were bottled in a case as well as a soda fountain - one size cups only (large).

The seating area was cold (it's winter although it wasn't really a very cold day, probably in the 40's outside) but the area was cold and the seating and tables were bare. Napkins, straws, etc. available near the soda dispenser. Black and white tiles on the floor.

Restrooms were clean but there was NO hot water for washing hands and the papertowel machine was jammed so you couldn't dry your hands (which meant the staff couldn't either).

The price of the basic "Mikey Burger" was $3.99 - I'd compare it to McDonald's or Burger King without the ambience - seriously - they need to work on warming up their seating area with something on the tables. They have a juke box in there but unless someone is plugging it with dollars it sits there. The staff should keep it going just to add some 'background' to the place.

I will not be going back until someone says they've made some improvements or they're having some special deal. I rarely eat a hamburger anyway but when I do I want a good one. I can find a good burger at the same price at Bar None during their happy hour - sitting in the bar watching big screen TV's and it's served to my table - no numbers or lack thereof required.

It's a bare-bones operation touting 'angus beef'. But for the price they're charing they're going to have to make some changes - paper plates? Heat in the seating area? Functional restrooms with hot AND cold running water? Otherwise, there's too many other options in our area.

• Visited February 2012