“Serve Raw Chicken, Rotten Food at Restaurant, Rooms Grossly Dirty.”

Lakeside Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Milford, Pennsylvania
“Serve Raw Chicken, Rotten Food at Restaurant, Rooms Grossly Dirty.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Dont think room had been cleaned in years. Thick layers of dust and bed smelled like sausage. Overcharged by double at check out for stay. Private hairs on bathroom floor. Chicken at restaurant was served raw, never received silverware when salad was served. Waitress didnt come back until she brought the raw chicken. OJ rotten as well. This all happened on New Years. Under staffed and uneducated staff. Pool is grossly dirty. Pets are allowed, including pot belly pigs. Stay at a farm instead if considering this place.

Room Tip: Go to the Grand Traverse Resort if looking for a clean, safe family trip.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Missy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Brighton, MI
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was awesome. We had our family group there this labor day weekend and everyone enjoyed there stay. The manager (Brooklyn) was very accomodating. The staff was very friendly and kind. The view of the lake was amazing. My kids loved the waterpark. The food in the restaurant was good but the service was a little slow. We will come back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
clinton township,mi
Reviewed September 4, 2012

food was great. location was great. no complaints. beach area was clean and safe for all ages. very friendly staff. rooms could use a little updating.a++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Stayed September 2012
Lincoln Park, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My parents stayed here for my mom's birthday this past weekend. They stay at other Comfort Suites around Michigan often and have always had positive things to say about their stays. Not this time...

To start, my parents got there to find a stained comforter and pillow cases. Okay, not the end of the world. My mom simply called down to the front desk and asked for replacements. The gentleman on the other end replied, "So, do you want to come get them now?" My mom hesitantly replied, "No, I'll wait for them. I'm in no hurry." I don't know that I've ever had hotel staff ask if I should come get CLEAN linens. That seemed odd. Anyway, 2 hours later and they never showed up. My mom called again, an hour later - nothing. So, they went down to get them. Alright ... life goes on.

I showed up to hang out with them on Saturday, for the day, and didn't notice anything bad about the lobby or carpet conditions when I walked in. They seemed to be the Comfort Suites standard, so no complaints there. But when I got up to the room, I immediately noticed the view. It was lovely to see Houghton Lake right out the window - actually very pretty. As I go to open the balcony door, my stepdad says, "Wait! Don't open that." I was immediately puzzled as I wanted to stand out there. Well, he went on to explain how many spiders and webs were out there. I just laughed it off and went out anyway. BIG MISTAKE. They were everywhere! Not only that, but the balcony walls and chairs were covered in splattered dirt. It was very unwelcoming for a lake view hotel.

The room itself was clean enough. Dusty in places, but no uninhabitable. A little dated, but fine nonetheless. Nice little kitchenette area, which was perfect for snacks and leftovers. My mom also noted that the bed was extremely comfortable.

Now, the pool area. WHAT. A. DISASTER. At first glance, I thought it was a very cool room. A lazy river, water slide, hot tubs, and a little pool. Not bad. We did enjoy a good hour between the water slide and hot tub, but that was the extent of it. I tried so hard not to look around, because the room was so dirty. The window sills and floor perimeter were caked with dirt and dead bugs. The tile floor had a film on it that was slimy and visible. There was also crumbled blue paint, that came off the ceiling, all over things that aren't used often. The only available chairs (when we walked in) were in the corner and had a dusty coat of this blue paint. We wiped them off and still enjoyed ourselves, but it's just a hassle when you're expecting a clean and inviting experience.

I wish I'd taken pictures, but the tiki bar was a joke. It looked like it could be cool if kept up, but it was falling apart. The straw roof was caved in and it was unattended and just used as additional seating for the kids and teenagers. Also, when you're in the pool and look up there is a very sad wooden fan. It had certainly seen better days as it looked melted from the humidity in the room. Not a big deal, but just goes to show that things are not well kept.

This all suite hotel has a big sign over the lobby doors that reads "Under New Management!" Clearly that means nothing. I'm honestly surprised by all the glowing reviews on this hotel and advise you to stay away if you would prefer a clean experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank GK0715

Travelers are raving about these Houghton Lake hotels

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The lakeside rooms have a very nice view; if you have a boat, there is a long dock to tie it to overnight. The DNR boat launch is just a few yards away. The rooms were nicely decorated & were clean. We didn't use the indoor pool or waterpark; the waterpark is quite small but young children would enjoy it. One thing that would be nice is more attention paid to the balconies; ours was covered in cobwebs & we needed to wash the chairs before we could use them. I know it's outdoors & some dirt should be expected but this was a bit much. Also - and this would be a bigger change, but: the exterior balcony lights come on early & stay on all night. This attracts bugs & makes it impossible to sit out after dusk; also, the light shines into the room. It would be much better if each room could have control of their balcony lights; as I said, a major change.... We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked a lake-view room at the Hotel. The view was awesome and since the weather was nice, we could not ask for more. The hotel has a nice pool with some water rides as well. So, its a great stop for families with kids. Also, it has a nice restaurant with a variety of cuisines from Mexican to Indian available. The food was decent and the drinks were also affordable. Only weak point was that the room rates are on the higher side. On weekends its normally around $220 for a room, which seems little pricey as compared to the facilities available.

Room Tip: Try to book a lake-view room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sanjeev S
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently stayed at Comfort Suites Lakeview for our 5 year anniversary. We had originally booked a rustic cabin for the weekend, but figured we’d live it up for one night. The hotel was beautiful on the outside and was situated right on Houghton Lake. Because the room was a suite (they all are) it was a little more expensive, but with all the amenities – fitness room, water park, free wi-fi, hot breakfast, room service, etc. it was worth it. The room was spacious. The water park was not real big, but did have a lazy river, winding water slide, kid’s splash park, and a hot tub. My husband and I went down the slide a handful of times and it was a blast! The hotel also had another feature my hubby liked, and that was “Milk and Cookie Hour” held in the sitting room each night. Those were the pros.

The cons: no sandy beach, so if you want to swim, you will be doing so in the water park. At some point in the evening, our sink water smelled like raw sewage. We didn’t complain because we weren’t sure if it was just the well water. We used bottled water to brush our teeth. A couple hours later we checked the water again, and it smelled fine… so we’re not really sure what was going on with that. The water smelled fine the rest of our stay.

Some local things near the hotel – Coyle’s restaurant (home style dining and seafood buffet). There were also a few amusement parks, one of which had go-karts, put-put, batting cages, power-wheels, moon bounce, haunted house, etc. It was pretty fun.

We’d most likely stay at Comfort Suites Lakeview again. Nice hotel, with some fun things to do in the immediate area.

Nicole Zapoli

Room Tip: Beds need more pillows. I would request a few, or bring extra from home.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 15 in Houghton Lake
Super 8 Houghton Lake
Super 8 Houghton Lake
#1 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Lakeside Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!