New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Lakeside Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
“Night and Day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Lets begin with this is a beautiful location, right on the western shores of Houghton Lake. Its a newer hotel, with so much potential. That being said, reception was fast and easy. The room was nice, and a fair price.
The pool area, so called waterpark, which at one time was pretty nice, is run down. Maintenance is terrible to non-existant. One of the two Jacuzzis not working. No lifeguards, needed since they sell day passes. The water temp in the water slide pool colder than the lake outside in December. The lazy river had no flow. Three inner-tubes. The sides of pool need a good scrubbing.
The bath changing room was a nightmare. Rust coming off the door running onto the floor. Towelrack and soap dispenser ripped apart.. Its like maintenance doesn't even visit the pool area. Bring your own towels, the few the provide run out.
That's why its Night and Day. Its too bad, it real could be a gem.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Mt. Pleasant, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We had such a great time! I brought my entire family here for an early Thanksgiving celebration and first thing, we were able to get into our room immediately! It is their slow season, but they had all our keys ready to go! The water 'park' was definitely more than just the water slide shown on the pictures online. There was a shallow kiddie pool with some spraying features, a seperate calmer pool, a HUGE hot tub, and a lazy river. Unfortunately, there was a breaker out for the lazy river so it had no current! The phone didn't work either which was unfortunate when the towels ran out. They also had offered a pool side bar online, but when we arrived got sad news that they had to close it due to the lack of a liquor license. We spent a good three hours at the pool before we realized the restaurant, Lakeside, attached was offering 50 cent drafts and free buffalo wings from 4-6pm. There was a confusion about the buffalo wings. They did not tell us at first that they were only for those who were buying drinks. The hotel I work at has a reception with appetizers from Bennigan's next door, but it is for everyone with no restrictions as such. Anyways, we were able to have dinner there for all 36 of us, which went over real well! After dinner, they opened the breakfast dining room for us so we could hang out, play cards, snack, etc at no cost. Around 11pm, one of my cousins realized the restaurant next door had a guest dj and karaoke! That was the best part of our trip hands down even though they stopped karaoke at about midnight after only 5 songs were sang total! Bummer for sure! My only other concern was that I requested no authorization on my debit card which held all of my family's rooms until arrival and I had neary $300 in authorizations. Other than a few glitches here and there the hotel itself was amazing. It had do much for us to do even in November. We decided we wanted to return in the summer months when we could utilize the outdoors and beach access!

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms have balconies! You could wake up to the sun rising out your balcony door!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Saginaw
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Went for a scrapbook weekend, arrived and checked in at 2:30pm. I received a call from home( Saginaw) my mom was taken in for emergency surgery. I packed up and waited in tears for my husband to drive up and get me. I was assured at the front desk that under the circumstances I would not be charged, I thanked them for their understanding. Three weeks later I find out they DID charge me for one night. I know this is a business but I DID NOT EVEN USE THE ROOM. There were people coming in looking for a room, all they had to do was call housekeeping to see the room was as it was when I checked in.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank dursnece

Travelers are raving about these Houghton Lake hotels

Houghton Lake, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I have a horrible experience at the property. There was hair in the bath tub. There was human material on the blanket on the bed. There were two wasps in the room that had to be destroyed. I would no recommend this place to anyone. The management made promises that were never kept.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dan T
saint helen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

it sux.... Went there and paid 109 dollars for a room....and was restricted bar privaledges due to the fact they hear us on th phone with there internet provider.... The chef named mike made the decision even after the manager decided there was not a problem. I would not recommend this hotel to a homeless person....

Room Tip: dont go here if u are a uaw member.... The chef believes he runs the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Corunna, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I am going to be in the area regularly on business over the next few months and was looking for a good clean property. Some of the reviews had me concerned and I almost didn't check this property out. Am I glad I did!. It is by far the best in the area. Not only is it clean and the staff friendly, the view of the lake is wonderful and the restaurant and lounge is right on property. When I get in I don't have to go out again to get something to eat and the food is great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JE E
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Great Experience Drove about 14 hours and needed a place to stay with the family of 5. The front desk clerk gave a great discount for AAA and gave a us really good rate. I asked for a morning wake-up call and got it. I had the oppertunity to enjoy breakfast. I have to say the breakfast was really good. I guess better then the other hotels I've stayed at. The staff was really friendly. This is one of the best hotels in the area. The lakeview rooms are awesome specially if you like to see the sun rise in the morning. JUST AMAZING couldnt ask for more

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Super 8 Houghton Lake
Super 8 Houghton Lake
#1 of 15 in Houghton Lake
4.0 of 5 stars 290 reviews

Been to Lakeside Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!