“Delishioso!”
Review of L.J.'s Kilkare Inn

L.J.'s Kilkare Inn
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were staying at the Beachfront Hotel down the street and the front desk clerk recommended this place. First off, let me say that our server, MaryJo, was extremely nice and very friendly to the 3 kids in our group, which was refreshing. I ordered the steak and ribs, because that, combined with the side dish (my choice = sweet potato mash) and salad that came with it, sounded like it would feed both myself and my almost 3-year-old daughter. It filled us both up...and the ribs were some of the best I've ever had, which was not what I was expecting. The sweet potato mash was for my daughter (her favorite veggie), but I tasted it and it was delicious...had some sort of Thanksgiving-y spices in it, possibly nutmeg and cinnamon. Yummo! My friend got the mushroom ravioli, which I tasted and was not as fond of, although that has been my favie dish at other places. From what I recall, the mushrooms were not inside the ravioli, but just mixed in with the sauce on the outside. Overall, it was quite tasty with very good service! Appearance was more bar-like, but with larger tables put together and plenty of families dining there with small children.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I got the cashew ribeye and the bourbon sauce was pretty decent. However, the steak was pounded so thin that it might as well have been a flat iron. My family ordered fare like chicken tenders, bar burgers, and Jamaican chicken and shrimp. All were mediocre at best. The rub on the chicken/shrimp was overpowering and powdery rather than cooked in. The tenders were obviously frozen and reheated. The burgers were fine, no complaints.

Based on reviews, this is the best place Houghton Lake has to offer. It wasn't gross by any means, but it certainly wasn't delicious.

Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Most menu items are delicious. The nachos didn't impress. It's a cheese sauce not real cheese. Wait staff is friendly,not always on their best game. Forgetful at times. Reasonable prices. Limited draft selection.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Nice people own this place and the food is always great. They make sure you enjoy yourself.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We have been going to Houghtopn Lake for years. Kilkare has expanded their building and their menu. Nor really a bar crowd, more of a family eatery.