“beachfront relax”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Windsor, Canada
“beachfront relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I found out about this hotel from an advertisement online and remembered it when we were up in northern Michigan, and I can honestly say this is pure Michigan it was fantastic! our room was very clean and fully equipped with a great bed and nice new towels, fridge, microwave, and breakfast included, the staff was very good and helpful with anything from golfing, food, and anything you needed to make your stay comfy, we brought our jetski and we had a great spot to dock it right on the hotel lakefront property, I recommend this beautiful place to all my family and friends, enjoy and remember vinman gives this hotel thumbs UP!

Room Tip: I really like the lake view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vinmantravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Macomb, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my school age boys, when leaving today I spoke with the nicest worker about a later check-out during breakfast - never giving my name she figured out which room I was in and called to verify a later check out, I was impressed and even let us change from our beach clothes to our "drive home clothes" in an empty room after enjoying the beach for a few hours. When checking in our room smelled of smoke and they moved us to a room without a balcany, but I could not handle how bad the non-smoking room smelled. In the evening I turned on the AC and it barely worked and completely stopped 30 min later after the manager came up to look and she told me to open a window since it was going to be cool that night, I was up all night listening to people in and out of the hotel and cars passing since my room was above the entrance to the hotel. I called again about the AC in the morning and after being gone all day to Sleeping Bear I was very happy that the AC was fixed and I slept much better!

The room was decent, however the carpets/bedding need replacing (stains/burn hole), the bathroom needs to be totally re-done it was old looking - clean but many grout patches and water stains everywhere, really nasty looking but you knew it had been cleaned. The free breakfast was GREAT, very good with your basic carbs and saved me$ and time from having to go out. The pool was dirty, full of sand - the kids swam... The beach was really nice, loved the chairs and umbrella but ants everywhere in the sand and the water was a little rocky.

I used a Groupon, otherwise I don't think I would have stayed... Great for the Groupon value

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 407, your right above the door into the hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cheryl B
South Lyon, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here with another family. The hotel were very helpful and placed us in rooms opposite each other. The kids loved the pool, the adults LOVED the HOT, HOT spa tub next to the swimming pool. The hotel has it's own private beach which they plow each morning and a bonfire you can build. Great for watching the sunset and eating smores. The beach also has sun loungers, beach chairs and a few families of very friendly ducks. The breakfast consists of cereal, pastries, fruit, and waffles. It's plentiful and good for kids. Coffee is available all day in the same room. The hotel staff are friendly and the hotel was very clean and inexpensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront room, if possible with walk out onto the beach.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank seaskyhopper
Rochester Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We heard about this place from a friend who lives about an hour from the area and decided to try it for our family reunion. I sent my friend a dozen roses after we came back because we had a blast. The hotel was very reasonable, clean and the staff was great. We had a large group and worried about how other guest would react but there was plenty of room for everyone. The kids enjoyed fishing, being buried in the sand and let's not forget the Jet Ski rides. Complimentary breakfast was a plus, as well as the complimentary fruit, tea and coffee during the day. We will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms were great, table and chairs provided by hotel.
3 Thank S B
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the beachfront hotel for a weekend. We were told our room would be 109.99 a night and then we was charged 129.99 they said they never told me that. Our coffee pot was broken and front desk told me we could come down to lobby anytime and get coffee, but we are up at 4am every day and didnt want to go down there had to demand a coffee pot. Screen door kept falling off sliding glass door. Asked for extra linen as we take 2 showers a day and only got 1 extra towel. Pool and hot tub was dirty so we didnt swim. Called and talked to manager for about 5 minutes then she said she would call me back and never did, will never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wixie20
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed here on the weekend and hoped to get a beachfront room, but didnt. I would diffently ask when making your reservation that your getting a beachfront, if you want one! Our room was a king size bed with jacuzzi and was very spacious. The bed was very comfortable and clean their was a balcony with 2 chairs but we didnt want to sit there overlooking the parking lot. We had a coffee pot and refrigerator in the room which is appreiciated. The breakfast in the morning was good but their is not enough tables for everyone to sit and eat. The beach is small but very nice and relaxing. The staff was excellent!!! They helped with any information you might need and gave sugguestions also. All in all I would go back but I think the prices are hefty for the weekends, especially if you dont get a beachfront room!

3 Thank 1bunbun
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just had our family reunion there this past weekend and what a great time!!! There were other family reunions there and enough room for all of us to have our own section on the beach all weekend! What a great upnorth trip! Clean rooms, looked like new showers and beds. Fresh new carpet and new paint. Indoor pool and spa were a plus for the evening with the kids. Free waffle maker saved us with three hungry kids each morning as well. The staff was very helpful and we can't wait to go back. TY for the memories!!!

Room Tip: The first floor is actually beach level and the third level is the same as the main lobby with balco...
3 Thank Dannysreviews
#1 of 15 in Houghton Lake
American Inn & Suites
American Inn & Suites
#6 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Beachfront Hotel Houghton Lake Michigan? Share your experiences!