“Average Super 8” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Houghton Lake

Super 8 Houghton Lake
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Recently we had a large family get together and we booked 10 rooms. The staff was rude upon check in. My aunt and uncle found dirty underwear in the corner of their room, my brother in law over heard a staff member tell a house keeper to make sure she found something wrong with the rooms that were held with a cash deposit. I paid cash for my entire room upon check in and the receieptionist told my boyfriend and I that there would be a $50 hold on my card for 7-10 days incase something was wrong after check out. I agreed and I recieved a reciept that showed I paid cash for the room. I checked my bank statement when I got home and I had the whole amount of my room and the extra $50 "cash up front" fee as 2 pending transactions. When I called the hotel to inquire about the charges. I spoke with the receieptionist who checked me in and she said they don't have a $50 holding fee and that they just hold the amount of the room and that she never told us that. She was exlaining to me how the whole credit card holding process works and told me that just like if i was to go to the gas station and pay with a credit card that they would hold an extra $75 dollars on it just in case. Thats weird, I dont remember speedway charging me twice? When I told her I would fax her a copy of my bank statement she said she was going to check and see if something was wrong with my room after check out and call me back!! Double check your accounts if you stay here!!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A_travel1210
Beverly Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently stayed one night with my elderly parents (2 rooms) when we attended a funeral up in Houghton Lake. My Dad has had a stroke and has physical disabilities as a result. We were able to get two handicapped-accessible rooms right next door to each other and near the desk (i.e. not far to walk). I was also informed that there is a configuration with another handicapped-accessible room that has a non-handicap room with an adjoining door, which is a good feature you can ask for if you find yourself needing those types of accomodations.

They had a lovely indoor pool, a cute little gift shop in the front, and a nice free breakfast with Eggo waffles, toast, peanut butter, cereal, yogurt, cinnamon rolls, and apples. Also juice, coffee and tea.

The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. There is a washer and dryer available (coin operated) with detergent/softener sheets available to purchase as well - I could see how this would be very helpful for people traveling with kids, or making a stopover on a long journey. There were snack and soda vending machines and the ice maker worked fine.

The best part is that the rooms were super clean...and my Mom is really picky about that. The bedding was clean, the bathroom was spotless, and there were no odd smells - just clean. It was pretty quiet for sleeping.

If I could improve one thing it would be the water pressure in the shower - lower than what I am used to at home - but it could have just been the fact that I was in a handicapped room with a hand-held shower head that might have been the issue. They forgot to put conditioner in my bathroom (or my parents' bathroom) but when my Mom asked at the front desk, they apologized and gave her two little bottles of conditioner.

There is a Burger King across the road (M-55) and a Big Boy a couple of blocks down too.

If we ever find ourselves in need of a place to stay in Hougton Lake again, I would definitely stay here and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

1 Thank Rita F
Bay City, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Got stuck up north in some weather a few weeks ago. Price aint bad, rooms are clean and comfortable. Right off the highway, so location was great for a quick room. The staff is extremely friendly. They had a pool, but i didnt get a chance to check it out. There arent fridges or microwaves (at least the room i was in) but for me that wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramada Grayling Hotel and Conference Center
American Inn & Suites
American Inn & Suites
#6 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Super 8 Houghton Lake? Share your experiences!