“Nice cabin”
Review of Driftwood Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Houghton Lake
Driftwood Resort
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We decided to get away for some xc skiing and booked reservations here. The new owners are very nice. These cabins were built in the 1930's. It is the real deal. If you love rustic and clean this is the place. We were a little cold at first, but it was comfy at night. This has been a really cold winter in Michigan. The fireplace was beautiful, but really doesn't warm the place up. The kitchen is stocked! A lot of gadgets that are vintage! They have a little rec room which they are redoing and it was perfect for the whole family to be in 1 place. I would recommend and I would go back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Driftwoodresort, Owner at Driftwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2014

Hope the coming X country ski season brings you back! You were great guests!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

My sister, 3 children, and I stayed here last February while cross-country skiing. It was very clean, comfortable, and the owners were very helpful. When we needed assistance, someone came immediately. We couldn't ask for more. For what it's worth, for a somewhat dated cabin (we actually liked that), the bathroom was WONDERFUL...that part was not dated (and that was important to us)...super clean, great heater (it was pretty cold in Feb.). Definitely hope to stay there when we go skiing again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hub100
Driftwoodresort, Owner at Driftwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2015

Thank you for the nice review! We are so happy you enjoy Driftwood Resort.
As the new owners (as of 9/1/13), we are doing everything we can to continue the quality, cleanliness, and friendliness of Driftwood. We have even added some new amenities to make your stay even better. Come up sometime and check out our new recreation building, our pontoon boat and waterfront 'toys' and the addition of a 5th lakefront cabin (The Elk) and our new 3-bedroom, 2-bath cottage (Timber Cottage). Hope to see you soon! Jim, Karen and Paul

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were there celebrating a friend's birthday. The grounds are impeccably kept. The cabins, though somewhat dated, were spotlessly clean. You get the idea that these people are passionate about what they do and they do it very well. I wish I had known about this place earlier. I will be back as often as I can going foward. There were activities for all of us and never a dull moment. Thank you!

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabin along the lakefront. Just beautiful! Spacious, clean and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Been comming here for over 30 years and never had a problem, Quiet and clean,.. the people who run the place are friendly and help when asked,.. this is a family place to stay with plenty too do,.. Very people friendly and clean,... Fishing is great too,.. Hily recomended!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank buddaIII
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We have been coming to this resort for the past 15 years (35 years to Houghton Lake). It is by far the best resort on the North Shore, if not the whole lake. The other cottages are occupied the same week as us by similar long time visitors. As the range of ages of the renters varies from infants to retirees, some rules naturally have to be in place so that everyone enjoys their stay at the resort. The most obvious rule is around noise. Quiet time for playing outdoor games etc is around 10 pm. Unfortunately the odd renter likes to play their music full blast on their ghetto blaster, so they can hear it 30 yards away. (Why not use an IPOD?). Another possible example is where a group are still whooping it up around the campfire at 2 am. Given these very rare examples, I don't think any reasonable person would object to the owners asking for some quiet and consideration for other guests staying at the resort.
Its unfortunate that one renter objected to the grass being cut at 9am. As we all know, grass grows pretty fast under the right conditions and has to be kept cut to keep up the appearance of the resort. He would probably be the first to complain if the grass was too long. Most people are up and about at 9am...
My personal exchanges with the owners has always been very polite and enjoyable. The owners always make a point of a short visit to the campfire a couple of times a week to see how everyone is enjoying their stay. The rest of the time, they allow you to enjoy your stay without interference. The office is usually always open if you have any questions needing answered.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sailing_fan7
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Driftwood is a wonderful place to stay. Exceptionally clean cabins and grounds. Probably the nicest place I have stayed on Houghton Lake. We have been coming here for 8 years and Houghton Lake for over 20 years and this is the cleanest place. This is a family tradition; my wife has been coming to the lake for over 40 yrs. They have a great sandy beach, playground, horse shoes, fire pit, corn hole, basketball, volleyball, tetherball, sandbox, ....you get the picture; and they are off the main road quite a way so you can let the smaller kids run. You can walk out on the sandy beach for about 500 yards. The fishing is excellent too.

They have WI-FI and cable TV if you need it.
Excellent Place to stay - we'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mintstill
Reviewed August 8, 2010

It's a nice resort but the lady owner is rude, no people skills. She would yell at us for being too noisy in the middle of the afternoon. The lawn was cut at 9 am. While we were out playing horseshoes the lawn was being cut and it wasn't that high. They just have no clue how to relate to folks. Not once were we asked how things were. This ownership couple want the income the property generates but no the inconvenience of actually having guests.

We found out on the last day that they had games (bean bag toss and ladder ball). That's an example of how badly they think of their guests - can't even explain a basic "this is what we have available, ....."

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank ProudUSMCVet
Driftwoodresort, Owner at Driftwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

I would like to respond to the Rude owners review. I was never rude to you. I never yelled at you either. I did ask you to talk lower when it was 1:30AM and you were at the campfire being very loud. The music you were talking about was outside, and you expected the whole resort to listen to it full blast while you were at the other side of the resort playing horseshoes. You should of had a portable radio, not one you had to plug in and then place outside your cabin. The people at the resort were tired of your music, that was why I asked you to turn it off. You stated we are rude owners. My husband is deaf and can't even talk, so I don't think he was rude to you either.
I didn't think we were doing anything bad by cutting our grass so the resort looks nice. We didn't cut it to make you upset. You asked us not to cut the grass and we did stop. It wasn't 9AM either, it was in the afternoon. You remember, it was the same time you were playing horseshoes and your radio. You have to understand that you were not the only people here. All the people who were here, except you and your friends, booked for next year. Two of them only booked if you guys weren't going to come back. I have been in business for 19 years and if you check with the Houghton Chamber I never had a complaint about my place. I have one of the finest and cleanest resorts on the lake. You also stated the sleep quality was not good. I don't get that, since my beds were all new two years ago, and I bought very goods beds too. I understand you can't make everyone happy. I was very nice to you and your friends. The games you were talking about were out front for anyone to use. I don't get what your problem was about that, it's not like they were hidden from view at all. I was hurt to see what you wrote about us. We only tried to be fair to the whole resort. If that meant you were not happy then I guess that could not be helped.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton Lake
Super 8 Houghton Lake
#1 of 15 in Houghton Lake
25 mi away
Lakeside Motel & Cottages

Been to Driftwood Resort? Share your experiences!