“Poorest experience EVER in a hotel”
Review of Super 8 Houghton

Super 8 Houghton
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Houghton
MN
“Poorest experience EVER in a hotel”
Reviewed March 23, 2010

My boyfriend and I came to Houghton to visit my sister at MTU. We are not difficult to please, and did not require any fancy frills with our hotel. And the beds themselves were actually quite comfy, to our surprise.

Parking and distance to MTU were great. High speed internet, great. Check-in fast and easy. Continental breakfast could've been better, I generally like SOME source of protein, but then again we could've gone to a fancier hotel if it was all that important.

What we DO require during a hotel stay is hot water for a shower! The maintenance man advised us to "let it run for a bit". Well after 20+ minutes of wasting water, our shower was tepid, and had almost no water pressure. We made do with sponge baths with the hot water that came out of the sink.

The second night we arrived in our room to find a huge infestation of ants all over the bathroom floor. I understand that ants can be pesky, but this infestation was pretty disgusting. We changed rooms.

Once re-settled, we made our way down too the pool to find a party of at LEAST 20 people who appeared to be college age - possibly because each of them had a beer can or beer bottle in each fist! They were loud and rude, clogging up the hot tub and making it impossible to enjoy the remaining space of the pool. I complained to the young man at the front desk - he managed to leave the movie he was watching on his laptop to talk to us. He apologized. We headed back to our room to change and visit my sister - when we left, he was watching his laptop again, and the party in the pool seemed to have gotten more raucous, but there certainly hadn't been one thing done about the alcohol and glass in the pool area! My boyfriend and I were livid.

Next time, we'll stay ANYWHERE but here. To be fair, we could've been more demanding, but nobody wants to be that rude person who makes an embarrassing scene by screaming at the poor hapless employee and throwing things, but now I wish I actually had.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChellBell0121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Saint Ignace MI
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We got great service at this hotel, the front desk staff were nice and recommended a larger variety of restaurants...provided menus and directions. I've seen some negative comments, but we had great service...we asked several questions during the evening and the ladies were quite nice.

The room had a great view of their sister city, Hancock, MI and the ski hill. We arrived in the middle of a bad snowstorm, but the parking lot was plowed out immediately.

Visiting Michigan Tech University, we found this to be a superb location. Unfortunately, the driving snow made it a bit of a problem seeing the sign -- was easy enough to turn around and find the hotel.

We thought the breakfast was great, the waffles were perfect (I've had them soggy at other places with those same machines.) Although we enjoyed the sauna and pool area, there was some sort of sediment down at the bottom of the whirlpool. Otherwise, it was great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I was extremely happy with my stay at this Super 8. They are located right on the river backing against the fitness trail that traverses MTU's campus. The rooms were clean and they definitely have ample parking.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
michigan
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I reserved a room for 3 nights at this hotel during "move-in week" at MTU. I was only able to get a room with 1 double bed but was told we could get a roll-away for my son since he would be with us for the first night. I didn't expect this hotel to have great amenities or that it would necessarily be up-to-date, just that it would be clean. The room STANK! I can only describe the odor as something like VERY dirty smelly feet.
To make matters worse, they were "out" of rollaway beds. My son had to sleep on this smelly floor. All the woman at the front desk would offer was a electric ionic air cleaner that we would have to set-up & turn on ourselves and leave the room for a half hour. This, of course, did nothing for the smell. ( I forgot to mention that this "non-smoking" room also had a distinct tobacco odor that was dwarfed by the filthy odor)
I told the woman at the front desk that we should not have to be trying to deodorize this room ourselves & that attemps to clean this room should have been made prior to our arrival. I also told her that I'd like to talk to management. I was directed to an empty office and never was able to confront "management". We had to suffer through 2 nights in this hole before we found a vacancy at the Ramada Inn in Hancock. For not much more money ( Super 8 was 70.00 and Ramada was 80.00 ) we got a VERY nice room with lots of amenities. 2 queen size beds, beautiful new linens, tons of pillows, a table & chairs, a nice view, and most important NO SMELL! Oh, and the Ramada has a very nice continental breakfast, a great restaurant and a pub.
So, If you're going to Houghton during move-in week, make your reservations early so you're not stuck someplace like the Duper 8.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
River Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I stayed at the Super 8 in Houghton for a family reunion. Our arrival was pleasant and check in was quick and easy. My room was on the second floor facing the parking lot. Other family members had rooms on the first floor facing the water. The water view was nice, but being on the first floor they had a lot of foot traffic just outside their window. I had no view, but it was fairly quiet, except for when the tour buses started up at 5:00 AM.

The hotel is definitely worn. My room wasn't dirty, but there were some stains on the bedspread and on the edges of the boxspring. The flourescent light in the bathroom flickered on and off for about 30 minutes until it warmed up. The linens on the bed weren't anything fancy, but the pillows were comfortable. The TV was a nice size and had a full range of cable channels. My room also had a recliner, but no table and chairs. There was no refrigerator, no iron or ironing board. However their was a coffee maker.

The continental breakfast was OK. There was an assortment of cold cereals, instant oatmeal, bread for toast, juice, milk, coffee (liquid creamer and half and half available) and make-your-own waffles. My nieces and nephews swam in the indoor pool. The pool area was large and spacious, but it was well over 80 degrees which made sitting and watching the kids quite uncomfortable. There was a computer with high-speed internet access in the lobby that I saw a lot of people use.

Overall it is your typical motel in this category, but it could definitely use some freshening up.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
suburban51
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I had a nice room on the water side. I'm not sure if the place has I pool since I didn't take advantage of it. Great breakfast. Love the free interent.

Was a great room for the purpose of sleeping. It did have a fridge and microwave though thats a big plus for me on longer trips when you go out to dinner and have leftovers.

My significant other stays there a lot with is co-workers and the last time they were there the boss was trying to get a hold of them and the staff never gave them the message. Later I found out that it is more common then not to have that happen so I suggest calling a cell phone or the room directly if you need to get a hold of someone staying there.

• Liked — the water view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank suburban51
Southeast Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2006

This building is in need of major updating. Rooms were iffy and had a slight odor.

Although this location did have some nice things to offer. It's continental breakfast which was very good. Even had homemade waffles. The location was right on the river and very nice to sit on the deck and eat takeout food or read.

The manager, Peggy Miller, is a super sweet woman who was extremely helpful when asked questions of the area.

Free internet access on the lobby computer which was very helpful in planning extras on our trip.

2 Thank AmyMK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton
Ramada Hancock Waterfront
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Calumet
Baraga Lakeside Inn
Baraga Lakeside Inn
#1 of 4 in Baraga

Been to Super 8 Houghton? Share your experiences!