“Best in Area...but”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Houghton
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Best in Area...but”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

My wife and two children stay here about 10 nights a year in all seasons visiting family. We like the friendly front desk staff and cleaning staff. The beds are comfortable and the breakfast area is nice along with the pool. The kids like the pool area. The negatives are low water pressure in sinks and showers (I'm certain to save money) and the hot water in the shower needs to be on all the way. The carpet in the rooms and furniture is now ready for replacement. The kids complained that the pool water temperature is now colder than in the past. We also hit a night when the hotel supplements their $$$$ by having pool parties with the local families. This results in a full pool with lots of screaming kids. On mother had the nerve to tell me that I wasn't allowed to bring my beer into the pool area. She said the sign says "no food or drinks" ....I told her I was a paying customer. She was likely concerned that her kids were around a person that had one beer for the night. Anyway, when making reservations.....ask if pool parties will be held during your stay. If so, stay away or ask for a big discount.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gbtraveler2
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your many visits and candid comments. I'm sorry you were disturbed by other guests and offer my sincere apologies. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation, so that this does not recur. I hope you will continue to let us know how we can make you more comfortable on future visits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Michigan
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed three nights at this hotel while on business at Michigan Tech. It was comfortable and clean. We were told it was a new hotel but some carpets and furniture were looking a bit worn. Our room was fine for space and comfort but we could not regulate the temperature. We just dealt with it instead of complaining about it. The breakfasts were included and they were good. The staff was very helpful and when we asked for a late check out on our final day, they were able to give us an additional 90 minutes which helped given our meeting schedule at Tech. The location of this hotel is great. There are many food options nearby as well as stores for any other needs that may arise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent trip to Houghton. I'm glad you were happy with the service and accommodations we provide, and appreciate your kind words. Our hotel opened in November of 2005, and we are the newest in town, but I guess 7 years doesn't really qualify as new anymore. I hope you will stay with us again should your business bring you back to Houghton.
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our son, a third year student at Michigan Tech, makes us a frequent visitor to the Houghton area. The Country Inn & Suites is always our number one choice when planning our trips there. We've stayed at this CI & S in all seasons, at busy times, at quiet times – and our experiences, for the most part, have always been positive ones. Front desk staff is always friendly and helpful. The rooms are always clean and have had some updates (flat screen TVs, fresh comforters). Parking is easy. The breakfast area is nice and large – compared to other CI & S. Plenty of tables and an overflow room. Breakfast selections are good, although I'm an oatmeal fan – so I'm always happy to see that they offer hot oatmeal and not really looking over the other options – however, they are plentiful. On the negative side - one thing I always notice when I stay here is that the water pressure at the sink isn't so great. The shower is fine, but in all the rooms I've stayed in, there's low water pressure at the sink. The only other problem we've had here was once this summer… we had hoped to check in before dinner to freshen up (about 5 pm – check in is at 3 pm) and was told our room wasn't ready. And in fact, there wasn't one room ready that we could have (if we were to switch room types). We had the option of dropping our bags off in our dirty room that was currently being cleaned – or putting our luggage back in the car. We ended up just putting it in the room and ran into the maintenance man changing the beds. Obviously, they were short on help that day. They did adjust our bill a bit. The other time we were disappointed was more recently. We had been offered an "anniversary special" from CI & S Houghton (by e-mail) – 20% off the room rate and a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates. We took advantage of this special being in Houghton for Michigan Tech's parents weekend in mid-October. (we only stayed Sunday night, as it was booked solid over the weekend) We did receive the 20% off that night, but the champagne and chocolates never showed up. Disappointing (it was our 25th anniversary!)…and felt a little ignored that weekend (especially being a frequent guest) as the front desk never asked us how we liked our room as we checked out. No use bringing the forgotten anniversary special up then – too late. Regardless, the Country Inn and Suites is a super nice place to stay while in Houghton. We also like it's location right next door to the Mine Shaft restaurant and bowling alley. It's a great place to get a quick bite, or watch sports on their huge TVs. Nice we can walk there from our hotel. Although we've had just a few disappointments, the Country Inn and Suites will always be our first choice when staying in Houghton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am so sorry we dropped the ball about your anniversary and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. After a bit of research I learned that a new team member who didn't know about your package was on duty, and I have since made sure that all team members are familiary with all the details of all our packages and promotions. I'm sorry, too, for the other issues you've mentioned and will use your review to improve our opertation overall. We really appreciate your business and loyalty, and your recognition of jobs well done by our team. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again soon.
Gypsum, Colorado
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Our room was very clean and comfortable. The free breakfast offered a nice selection. Our kids enjoyed the pool too. The location is convenient and there are a number of restaurants close by. We would definitely consider staying here on future trips to Houghton.

• Stayed October 2012
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for writing your nice review. I'm glad you were happy with the service and accommodations we provide and look forward to serving you again on your future trips to Houghton.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A little dated compared to the Comfort Suites we stayed in just prior to this stop. But, clean and with a view out the window of trees and grass. We stayed in Room 226. Some noise but did not bother us. Breakfast was good, with cooked oatmeal a surprise. Sat out front on nice bench and enjoyed the coffee, tea and cookies from front lobby. Used 15% discount provided by the hotel to have dinner at a nearby Perkins. Actually the best Perkins I have ever eaten in. My wife normally cannot stand a Perkins Restaurant but liked this one. Close to both downtown Houghton and Hancock. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit to Houghton. I'm glad you had a good expereince here and at the local Perkins Restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again soon.
Rapid River, MI
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Not enough soundproofing between floors. Otherwise not bad. Get 3rd floor room or forget it. Fairly good breakfast with cooked oatmeal. Also breakfast coffee is excellent. Would not stay there again unless a top floor was available.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I'm sorry you were bothered by noise here during your recent visit and offer my apologies. I am glad you liked our breakfast and coffee, and hope we will have a room that suits you the next time you visit Houghton.
Street, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at Country Inn when taking my son to Tech. Hotel is close to restaurants and not far from downtown. Nice/large room, clean pool and spa, and loved the breakfast. He tea, fruit, cookies, and breakfast bars available all day in the lobby. Recommend this hotel when in Houghton.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent visit and nice comments and recommendation. I'm glad you were happy with the service and accommodations we provide, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit your son at Tech.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 4 in Baraga
Super 8 Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
#2 of 7 in Houghton

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton? Share your experiences!