“A nice surprise!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Houghton
Virginia
“A nice surprise!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We arrived without a reservation at 8:30 p.m., nervous about the possibility of finding a place for the night. We had intended to drive on much farther but fatigue did us in.

Jessica gave us the last room. She was very professional and apologetic when neither we nor she could readjust the thermostat from 67 to a more comfortable 73. Since the room was well cooled (!) and it was cool outside, we managed with no climate control in the room. Apparently, no one from maintenance was on duty that night.

The room was as others have described - spacious, clean, comfortable. We had a very nice night's sleep. The lobby was neat and tidy. The provision of gratis fruit and granola bars was a welcome, unexpected touch.

The breakfast area and the breakfast itself were o.k., though I am never impressed with the large amounts of styrofoam used in such areas when there are environmentally-friendly alternatives available. At check out, when I mentioned that hotels could model responsible behavior by making such choices, my suggestion was courteously received. Regrettably I did not get that employee's name. She and Jessica were friendly yet professional in their dealings with me.

Only once previously had I stayed at a Country Inns and Suites by Carlson. Both stays have reminded me to book more regularly at this chain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry the AC unit didn't work, and hope you will accept my apologies. Since you were kind enough to let us know about it during your stay, we have had our our maintenance team make the necessary repairs. I understand and agree with you about the environment, and want you to know we recycle everything we can. Carlson is looking more environmentally friendly service items, and hopes to have solutions available soon. Jessica is one of our best and she inspires all of us to do our best with every guest, every day. I'll be sure that she receives the positive recognition she deserves for being mentioned here by you. I hope we can welcome you back and thank you in person soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
hancock, michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2012

First of all, I want to say this is a great hotel! I am trying to get better about letting people know about the great places that I have stayed in. I am not just saying this because I live in the area. The staff are some of the friendliest, most accomodating people that I have ever worked with!

My husband is a local pastor, so we put everyone up here when they come to town. Every person has always told us how much they love staying here! Your breakfast person always makes everyone feel very special and goes out of their way to make sure you have what you want and more. They have even given us a little bag to put some cereal in for our little one for later....yes, even though we live here..we stay here too!! This is a great little in town vacation from stresses! My whole family loves the pools and hot tub!!

The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms are roomy. You don't feel like your are in a box! My mom and dad were recently here for about 10 days, and the staff was wonderful to them!

I totally agree with some of the other reviews on how this hotel matches up with some of the other hotels. We have stayed all over the U.S. in many hotels, and this hotel is above average!

Kudos to you and your staff Country Inn and Suites of Houghton!

Room Tip: They have many different types of rooms here. It really depends on how you are traveling. If you h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your loyalty and for taking the time to write and post your thorough review. I'm glad you know you can count on us to meet your needs and exceed your expectations, and we all look forward to serving you and your guests whenever you can use our accommodations and services.
Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed August 4, 2012

as the place is nice, but the customer service is seriously lacking. We arrived at the hotel at 4:00 pm and told our room was not ready. Our plan was to clean up and go to a restaurant in town. We ended up at the burger place next store to wait for our room. Our reward for waiting was a room next to the elevator. Once we were in the room I wanted to sign into the internet, but could not find the network. I tried calling the front desk twice with no answer so I went down to find absolutely no one at the counter. I did mention to Jessica that since we waited an hour for our room it would have been nice if she had at least gave us room that was not next to elevator. She did call us about twenty minutes later to say she would upgrade us to a king suite but by this time we were settled in and it was more trouble than it was worth. Our favorite chain is Hilton and remains so. Country Inn needs to take a lesson from them.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a quiet room or you too will end up next to the elevator!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandy0106
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I'm truly sorry you were so disappointed with your recent stay here, and offer my sincere apologies. I understand how frustrating it is when things don't go according to plan, and hope that this one incident doesn't turn you off from trying other Country Inn & Suite properties when you have the chance. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Excellent room with a lot of room very comfy bed, nice sized bathroom. Front desk staff very helpfull. Very nice to see the cookies and fresh bannanas in the evening. The breakfast buffet wasn't the best that I have had a Country Inn, but the manager was very quick in emailing me back after sharing my concerns about it to assure me that they were trying out a new menu and things were in a flux. One of the cleanest and friendlisest hotels we have ever stayed in! The housekeeping staff was very sociable when passing in the hall wishing us a good day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for staying with us and for posting your review. We want all our guests to be happy they decided to stay with us and really appreciate your recogniton of jobs well done. I hope you will like the changes we make to our breakfast, and let us know what you think the next time you are here.
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I'm not rating the Hotel, I'm thanking all our guests that visit us & comes to breakfast. I'm currently @ my other job for a little while & I just have to say I truly miss everyone. You ALL make it worth while coming to work!!! See you soon & God Bless

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you Phyllis, we miss you too!
Cumming, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This has become our favorite chain, so when we booked for one night while in Houghton, these guys didn't let us down. Excellent stay-- great room, spacious, nice amenities. Large bathroom, comfortable bed.

Safe part of town, with lots of restaurants close by. The hotel, and the room, was spotlessly clean, spacious and comfortable.

Morning breakfast was nice. Big comfortable breakfast area, with lots of nice choices. I can easily see why this hotel gets such good reviews-- we were there last Saturday night and really enjoyed our stay. Best hotel of the entire trip.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are the most convenient.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you very much for your loyalty to the Country Inn & Suites by Radisson chain, and for taking the time to share your recent experience here. We know you have a variety of hotel choices in Hougton, and want all our guests to be happy they decided to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back and thanking you in person the next time you are here.
Alexandria, Minnesota
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great place to stay! The service was awesome and everything was very clean. This hotel is also very quiet and close to many stores and restaurants. Next time I'm in the fine city of Houghton I will be staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review and rating of your recent visit with us. I'm glad you were happy with the accommodations and service we provide, and really appreciate your recognition of jobs well done. We look forward to welcoming you back and thanking you in person the next time you are in our area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton
Ramada Hancock Waterfront
Baraga Lakeside Inn
Baraga Lakeside Inn
#1 of 4 in Baraga
Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton? Share your experiences!