TripAdvisor

“Charles Family reunion”

Roy's Pasties and Bakery
Ranked #1 of 6 Quick Bites in Houghton
Cuisines: American
Description: Roy's Pasties and Bakery offers 9 varieties of pasties, 19 kinds of breads per week, 18 sandwiches and wraps, two salads, 26 kinds of bakery, 9 varieties of coffee (three of which are custom roasted for us by Keweenaw Coffee Works!) Republic of Tea service, two soups daily, housemade chips and so many other offerings! Our showcases change daily so come in and see what type of deliciousness we have that day!
Reviewed August 13, 2019

We had our reunion the last weekend in July and ordered 27 pasties from Roy's. The Charles Family says Roy's has the best pasties ever!

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (198)

Reviewed August 4, 2019

This is one of my favorite places to take visitors because it lets them enjoy yummy local made baked goods experience delightful counter servicers all while enjoying views of the Portage Canal. Their sandwich prices are around $10, which I think is just a bit high for counter service. My other issue is their pasties are not as tasty as the pasties made and sold by the Baraga American Legion Post 444. But those pasties are so yummy, they are close to impossible to beat. Overall, a treat to experience but I am unable to give it a 4.5 so it's a 4+.

Reviewed August 2, 2019

One of our must-haves on a UP vacation was a pasty, and many places in this area claim theirs is the best. Both my husband and I tried a traditional pasty and it was OK, but not spectacular. On the plus side, the crust was buttery and flaky, with a good amount of filling. The flavor was lacking, with salt being the only noticeable spice. We did go back a second time to try a different kind of pasty, but the evening we stopped they had sold out of all pasties. We also bought some "tarts" to take to the hotel with us for breakfast the next morning. These had been highly recommended and were touted as being written about by USA Today. I'm not sure what makes them a tart; the dough was like an underdone sugar cookie folded over the apricot filling, which also wasn't that great. We had also bought prune tarts but threw them out without tasting as we didn't want to waste calories when we didn't like the dough. As noted by other reviewers, Roy's is in a prime location with a great view of the Portage Lake Lift Bridge.

Reviewed July 30, 2019

I’ve heard good things every time my husband came to Houghton for work or to go cycling with a friend, so the last time I accompanied him we stopped in here for my first time. I loved the chicken pasty and took home a huge selection of cookies. Looking forward to stopping again the next time we’re in town ! Highly recommend.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed July 15, 2019

Cute place. My daughter Had tomato soup, grilled cheese and I had a vegetarian pasty. Both loved our food. Nice deck in the shade to dine on. Lots of indoor seating too. The baked goods looked great but we did not try since there for lunch.

1  Thank Patty K