“Like a "home away from home"”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Holland
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Like a "home away from home"”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Very friendly, very clean. Staff exceptionally helpful and pleasant. David - the evening manager - bakes the best cookies and makes sure every guest is comfortable! Our favorite place to stay in western Michigan.

Room Tip: second or third floor facing back of hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
South Bend
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This Marriott property is situated next to a Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Upon arrival, I was given a room upgrade which made for an even more comfortable 2 night stay. The desk clerk provided me with a menu from the Chinese restaurant across the street, when I told her I was interested in ordering in. Let me mention that I arrived in some very wintery weather. After ordering, my food arrived pronto!
After my first night I was feeling under the weather. Another desk clerk offered orange juice, or other complimentary beverages. I opted, instead, for some hot tea from the hospitality bar in the dining room. What you can deduce from all of this is that the staff at this property makes you feel like a member of the family. They're helpful, tuned in, and proactive to needs.
My room was great, complete with sofa, movable sofa tables, hassock, and super lighting. As always, my Marriott bed with feather/down pillows are just what make it like home. Try this spot. It was a great resting and work spot for this weary road warrior.

Room Tip: The Executive King is a winner!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sandy446
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed in Holland for three nights and found the rooms to be clean and the staff very helpful. We particularly want to recognize Dave at the front desk. He was helpful in providing information about Holland and the surrounding area. Our stay at Fairfield Inn was very enjoyable because of him. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Denise M
Racine, WI
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at this location for 3 nights. The front desk staff was very helpful when checking in and called us later in the day to make sure our room was satisfactory. We had a room with 2 queen beds that was clean and comfortable. The location is just off a main highway, so it can be somewhat noisy at night, but the location was good for travel to reach Lake Michigan beach locations with ease. The breakfast area was attractive and staffed with personnel who kept the various areas stocked with food items. The breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausage patties, make your own waffles, cold cereals, a small selection of fresh fruits, and of course, juice, coffee, milk and yogurt. Our only problem was when we tried to use the whirlpool, it was drained for service. It would have been nice if this routine service was posted at the front desk or on the door to the pool area so we could have planned our activities around this service. When I mentioned this problem to the front desk staff at check out, the person on duty was not very sympathetic to our inability to use something that we paid for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Musikaats
Hansville, Washington
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed a week in Holland, Michigan. This Fairfield Inn provided a very clean room, comfortable bed and welcoming continental breakfast every morning, including several hot items, with the room rate. Property was recently updated and the staff was very friendly, informative of local area and provided an all-together pleasant experience. Location was about 2 miles northeast of downtown, just off Hiway 31: very quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Scrambler11
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We could only get one night here during the Labor day long weekend. Location is fine as it is 15-20 minutes drive to the Ottawa beach or a bit longer to Saugatuck state park which are the main places we want to hit.

The reservation was saying we could check in at noon but told no rooms available till 3pm after we waited at the front desk for 10 minutes. We headed to the beach then came back around 6pm.

The room was decent sized and with all basics. The pillows, however, were too small for my taste. My head fell off it a few time during the night. I know I'm not the only one complaining about it. The black out curtains were behind the white curtain so it is tricky to find so they put a note on the window to help you.

The breakfast was pretty good with lots of options. The breakfast lady was super nice and friendly. The front desk staff was kind of absent most of time time and came back without a smile.

Overall, it is an average hotel. It probably won't be my choice next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Holland, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Jjkittycat,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Fairfield Inn Holland. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our free breakfast and that my breakfast hostess was super friendly. I apologize for any misunderstanding there was surrounding check in times and that this caused you to have to wait. Our check in time is 3PM and our check out time is noon. I'm very sorry that my front desk staff was not available to assist you when you needed it. I will follow up with them to ensure that they are available at all times. I hope with our efforts to improve that you will stay with us again the next time you are in Holland.

Steven M.
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked 3 rooms for Saturday – Monday (8/24-26/13) at the Fairfield Marriot in Holland, MI including a disabled accessible room for my wheelchair bound mom and my dad. All rooms were guaranteed through an online reservation. When we arrived, we were informed that there were no accessible rooms available despite the guarantee. I was told there was a bar in the shower by the unsympathetic desk clerk who also blamed “corporate” for not communicating the reservation. I proceeded to explain that the shower bar was inadequate for assisting my mom off the toilet. I did a search for another room, but being a late summer weekend in a tourist area, but we were forced to take the regular room. I then proceed to call the Marriot hotline to call a complaint, and was put through to their ADA office but got disconnected after being put on hold. At this point, we decided to make the best of our trip and go out for the afternoon. When we returned, there was a plastic booster seat on the toilet in my parents’ room with a sign stating to “be careful” because it is not a “permanent solution” (see attached photo). My parents decided not to use the device, but the bathroom was so narrow that my dad had to move my mom’s equipment into the bathroom just to help her.

The next morning I was informed that an accessible room had become available. When we moved into that room, there was an accessible shower and more space, but there was still not a single bar near the toilet (see other attached photo). I am extremely disappointed that a well-respected chain would have compliance issues in this manner. The hotel was otherwise clean and comfortable; had I not been with my parents I probably would have reviewed it well. I will be avoiding Marriot properties in the future and looking into an ADA complaint for that property. This was completely unacceptable and no compensation was offered for the mistake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Holland, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Mikenmeg,
Thank you for sharing this important feedback with us so that we can improve for the next guest I am sorry to hear about the negative experience that you had at my hotel. I am deeply sorry that we did not have a handicapped room available for you and your parents when you arrived. Furthermore, I apologize that when one did become available it still did not meet your needs. We are reviewing your comments with the proper departments to ensure any deficiencies are corrected. We hope you give us a chance to make things right and try the Fairfield Inn Holland again next time you find yourself in the area.

Steven M.