“Birthday Dinner”
Review of Butch's Dry Dock

Butch's Dry Dock
Reserve with OpenTable
Butch's Dry Dock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 236 Restaurants in Holland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We went to Butch's for my birthday and were not disappointed. The food was very good, the service was attentive, and we always enjoy their large wine selection. The atmosphere is relaxing and quiet enough for pleasant conversation. We really enjoyed our evening. We have been to Butch's many times. It is a bit pricey, but the food, service, and atmosphere make it worth it in our opinion.

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear Colleen,

Thank you for joining us for such a special occasion and for taking the time to review your dinner. We hope to see you again before your next birthday!

There are newer reviews for Butch's Dry Dock

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

We go to Butch's and sit in the back or outside when we visit in the summers and up front for special occasions. We have used their private rooms for parties 3 times, too, and that is always well run and really fun! Their steak and fun drinks are my favorite.

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear JillV288,

Thank you for your great review! We can't wait for your next visit!

Butch

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have had many great meals at Butch's over the years. Recent experiences have been outstanding. The new chef and new menu are consistently great. I appreciate the level of service from all of the staff (veterans who will recognize you, and the "rookies" who are well trained). A particular delight is the ability to "shop" the wine offerings and have them poured for dinner. The wine list is great... but there's a lot more on the shelves! We have a tough time going anywhere else because each time we go, it's dependably great.

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Roger G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We certainly appreciate your loyal patronage and are happy to hear you are enjoying the latest culinary offerings!

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised on our first visit a couple months ago so we thought we would try Butch's again. The consistency didn't continue this time, however. We were seated at a wobbly table by the street windows by the hostess and when our server failed to show up for 5 minutes, we moved ourselves to an adjacent table, which was wobbly, too. So we fashioned a paper shim and fixed the dadgum thing. My wife ordered a "wedge salad." Instead of a hunk of supercrisp iceberg lettuce cloaked in tangy blue-cheese dressing and topped with everything from bacon to avocado, she was served a small amount of limpy bibb lettuce overdressed in a pool of thick white dressing from a bottle. No wedge. We sent it back. The red wine I had (Dante merlot) was warm and tasted "bottle stale" like it had been opened a month ago and had sat at room temperature for that long. The entrees were a mixed bag ... my wife's chicken was good, according to her, while my flatiron steak was a very small portion hidden beneath a massive pile of French fries. The amount of steak was appetizer size and not worth the $25. It was advertised as coming with caramelized onion and Béarnaise Sauce. The amount of carmelized onion was miniscule and the Béarnaise sauce tasted from a bottle. And last but not least the dinner rolls were tiny ... silver dollar size and stale and I question whether they came with real butter or margarine.

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear MichiganSammie,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience (although I would love to hear what you enjoyed during your first visit, too!) ☺ However, I understand from reading your other reviews that you typically only like to provide feedback when you feel serious improvements can be made (e.g., 11 reviews on TripAdvisor with with no review over 3 stars: 3 “average” reviews, 4 “poor” reviews, and 4 “terrible” reviews, those including many of the most highly regarded establishments in our area: Marie Catrib’s, Electric Cheetah, Everyday People Café..). That said, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that this visit was not consistent with your first, more enjoyable, dining experience at Butch’s.

I would like to offer some consolation, however; we have recently renamed our wedge salad a “Bibb Wedge,” as to indicate that we are not using the low quality, mass-produced iceberg lettuce that one might expect. Instead, we are sourcing a local hydroponic Bibb lettuce during the winter, one of the very few locally-produced lettuces one can source during the winter months in the Midwest. Additionally, and in that same vain of providing the highest quality ingredients, I can assure you that none of our dressings are from a bottle. In fact, our dressings are made fresh daily and the blue cheese dressing you are specifically referring to is made with one of the highest quality bleu cheeses money can buy.

I apologize that you found the flatiron to be small; it is the standard 8 oz portion one might find in most fine dining establishments in the area with a homemade (again, not at all from a bottle) béarnaise sauce, served with fries (cut daily) from Visser Farm potatoes.

I’m surprised to hear you describe the limitless free dinner rolls as tiny; these, also provided fresh daily by our baker on 8th street in Holland, has provided these rolls for over a year and I’ve never received this feedback. Regardless, I apologize that you did not find them (and our tempered butter) enjoyable.

Our #1 goal at Butch’s is to provide an unprecedented experience that makes you want to return again and again and it’s apparent that your last visit didn’t provide that experience for you. I would be happy to discuss how we can make this right; if you would be so kind as to send me an email at butch@butchs.net, I would love to discuss how we might regain your trust.

Warm wishes to you and yours,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

My all time favorite restaurant and I live in Holland. My only suggestion would be to bring back the fish tacos - love them!

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear 3luannet,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! The fish tacos were/are great! Have you tried the new lobster roll?

Cheers,