“Best”
Review of Butch's Dry Dock

Butch's Dry Dock
Reserve with OpenTable
Butch's Dry Dock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 239 Restaurants in Holland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My all time favorite restaurant and I live in Holland. My only suggestion would be to bring back the fish tacos - love them!

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear 3luannet,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! The fish tacos were/are great! Have you tried the new lobster roll?

Cheers,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Nice pit stop for lunch, the butch burger was good...abit salty for me. The soup selection was tasty but abit salty. Good wait staff, yes should fix the wobbly tables else it was a nice lunch.

ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear DanChoo,

Thank you for your valuable feedback – I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

Happy New Year,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The first flurries of the season are always magical, that is of course if you enjoy the season. We arrived at Butch's just minutes before the steady drizzle turned to flurries and were greeter by a smiling hostess who immediately seated us in the informal section of the restaurant need a window providing the perfect backdrop to see the flurries.

Our waitress arrived within a few short minutes of our being seated. She was upbeat and eager to explain the soup if the day - pumpkin - the various wines available, hot beverages (raved about the hit chocolate), and guest favorites. After a while she returned to take our order: Pumpkin soup with a Spinach Salad and a Roast Beef on Rye with a side salad.

The soup was superb!!! Sorry I only ordered the regular size. The salad had a lite creamy dressing which totally made each piece of spinach to die for. My husband the picky bread eater, actually finished the entire meal - bread and all.

The meals, the setting, the staff, all make it worth your while to have a fabulous meal.

Now for the surprise. The restaurant is located in the Historic section of Holland. They have utilized every inch of space to provide guest with a wonderful experience. Only, the men's restroom is downstairs and becomes an adventure in itself to locate - just a hunt for first time visitors.

Enjoy.

Dear Patricia W,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute such a thoughtful review! I am so happy to hear that you were able to weather the snow in our pub with our locally-sourced spinach salad and a warm bowl of soup! We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Warm Regards + Happy New Year,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

When reading the reviews for Butch's, I couldn't figure out why they varied so much between solid 5's and 2's. When we finally had a date night without the kids, we decided to give Butch's a try. Our table was wobbly, the host brought a shim. If you know you have a problem, fix it before you seat customers. The table next to us had a knowledgable, attentive waitress who made good recommendations and they appeared to have a great meal. We had a checked-out waiter who didn't recommend anything. We thought we'd take the tapas approach to the evening. The lobster quesadilla was extremely disappointing. It was greasy and strangely prepared in a fried corn torilla, the crab cakes were mushy and flavorless - except for the exceptionally spicy chips on top (would have really appreciated a warning), and the goat cheese was good, but its the sort of thing you can get almost anywhere. It was served with 6 tiny baguette slices and apple slices. We asked for more bread, twice. We mentioned that the lobster wasn't up to par, the chef apologized and offered something else. We tried the salmon. Also disappointing. At that point, we gave up on the restaurant and went elsewhere to finish the evening. I can't say I'd ever go back. There are many better places to eat in the area.

1  Thank L A
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear LA,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at my restaurant. I am very sorry to hear that you were left disappointed on your special night out.

Regarding your table having a wobble, unfortunately, with some of the historic buildings in downtown Holland, we find that the preserved wood floors are sometimes uneven in spots. Our servers do level all of the tables prior to seating our guests each night, but as tables are moved, they sometimes require minor re-leveling. I am happy to know that our host promptly fixed this, but understand why this may have been bothersome to you at first.

Regarding your feedback on the menu items, I thought it may be relevant to mention that we hired a seasoned chef just over a month ago; he has experience in some of the best kitchens in the country and I am incredibly excited and happy with where he is taking our menu. What may be most relevant is mentioning that in the past week, he has replaced both the lobster quesadilla dish and redeveloped the crab cakes for some of the reasons you mentioned. I would love the opportunity to have you try the new dishes – we have received fantastic feedback.

Once again, thank you for your review. Should you decide to reconsider your decision to not return, please let me know (butch@butchs.net). I would love to personally see to it that your next visit is exceptional.

Regards,

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Frankly, I was a little surprised by some reviews of this place. We ate here in a recent Tuesday night and the place was packed…for good reason.
I enjoyed the special that night, chicken empanadas and had a pumpkin bisque soup as an appetizer. The bisque was delicious and the marshmallow that melted in it as I started my soup really added a different, delicious rich taste. I highly recommend it.
Another plus for this place; they offer small and large plates so if, like me, you aren’t that hugry, you can still eat but not be stuffed. Since I wasn’t super hungry I opted for the small plate, chicken empanadas. They were prepared perfectly…the crust was flaky and dry, not soggy, while the chicken with the seasonings (was told there was some chocolate in there somewhere) really starred and I should say I’m not a huge chicken fan but loved these.
The service was excellent. Our waitress was friendly, professional and knew the menu backwards and forwards since I asked her for her recommendations.
Another thing I liked about this place is the two dining rooms. The front is a white linen restaurant, but if you want something a little less formal you have the same menu in the back.
Yes, it can get noisy but I think that adds to the atmosphere since the people here obviously were loving their food! If you’re looking for a creative menu with great food, by all means try this place. I’m glad we did!

Dear Salleng56,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent dinner with us. The chicken empanadas have been such a hit with our guests that our chef has decided to add them to the menu!

We hope to welcome you and your guests again in the near future. We are constantly evolving the menu, so I’m confident there will be another exciting addition the next time we see you.

Regards,