“A Treat”
Review of Butch's Dry Dock

Butch's Dry Dock
Reserve with OpenTable
Butch's Dry Dock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 241 Restaurants in Holland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had the best waitress...very knowledgeable, not over-bearing, but attentive. Our meal was excellent and the presentation was over the top. She recommended wine selections, and appetizers - all in all a great experience - will visit again.

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Went to Butch's after reading and hearing good things. The atmosphere was nice, but a bit stuffy. The food was a big let down. Three dip appetizer was acceptable but not great. The rolls were heavy. My salad was more of a lettuce soup with the amount of dressing they used. I had the chicken which was very tender but the sauce was quite salty. The fish in the fish tacos was charred and not pleasantly seasoned. Our waitress was great but got busy as the restaurant got a little busier... Overall, not somewhere we would go again or recommend to others...

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was spending some days in Holland and I had chance to visit Butch's with my colleagues. If you want to spend your evening in a nice restaurant where you can eat really tasty steak, make sure that you're choosing Butch's! :)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary on our first trip to the Holland, Saugutuck and Douglas area. Based on the original review from trip advisor, we were not sure if this was the best choice but decided to go for it. We arrived at Butches around 8:30 and was greeted by the what we presumed to be a waiter. The hostess was attending to the person in front of us and he asked where we wanted to sit. We asked for a front window and said we would happily wait. He offered a seat at the bar, escorted us over and said that the bartender would take great care of us until our table was ready. My wife ordered a fat tire draft and I ordered my regular vodka rocks while I reviewed the extensive drink menu. I asked the bartender for his recommendations and and he said try the 89 old fashion and spicy pineapple, both hand crafted and very tasty. Shortly, our table was ready and the energetic and enthusiastic server that greeted us at the door escorted us to our requested table. He was witty and funny and we asked if he could serve us. He then told us he was the manager and couldn't but we insisted. We told him it was our first anniversary as we were sitting down and he suggested we try an appetizer, the local pork belly. It is an excellent blend of sweet, savory, spicy with a crunch. I also tried the recommended old fashioned with my dinner and it was fantastic. I ordered the sirloin steak and my wife ordered the sea bass, again both excellent choices. The favors were perfectly blended and the portions were a great mix of French and American. The house salad with a balsamic reduction dressing was great along with my wife's tomato basil soup with the fresh bread. We returned to the bar for a nightcap which included a Bloody Mary for my for my wife and the spicy pineapple... Both again perfect handcrafted drinks. Butches had a great atmosphere, drinks, and food. We had an excellent time and will return again next time we are in town. I highly recommend giving Butches a try.

1  Thank DFederspiel
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We happened upon Holland, Michigan at the best of all possible times: their annual Tulip Time festival (held every year in mid-May). Our decision to eat at Butch's was spontaneous: a quick look at their menu guaranteed our enjoyment. Almost everything on the menu was either a personal favorite or promised to be a new one.

The place is divided into two sections: a formal dining room towards the main street and a slightly less stuffy version in the back. Sitting in the formal dining room, we were able to walk past their pride and joy: an immense wine collection and large fridge filled with every possible permutation of micro-brew found in the US. Any and all of these are available with your meal. Simply take a stroll, pick a bottle you fancy and the waiter will open it table side (either wine or beer). This was indeed heaven on earth.

I thought there'd be little topping this beverage heaven, but got waylaid from my choice of beer when presented with their cocktail menu. Behold: the dilltini, a dirty martini made with pickle instead of olive brine (and comes complete with an entire dill pickle as garnish). You will either love this or hate it. I was of the former. I will be making these at home. Guaranteed.

The menu follows the recent trend of offering many "small" dishes in addition to the traditional hefty main course fare. Given our desire to try everything, we opted for three of the small dishes: two incarnations of pork belly and the seared calamari. I happen to have a personal love to grilled (not breaded) squid and feel the need to try it at each restaurant that features it (few and far between). What a disappointment. The chef is clearly an expert sauce man. The sauce is a smoked chili delight, but there is far too much of it on the plate, an attempt to hide the poorly cooked rubbery squid that is swimming in it. Even the "cheezit"-like wafer that goes on top couldn't save this dish.

The two pork bellies however were absolutely sublime. One treated with Mexican flavors (it is even called chicharrones, although this may be slightly exaggerating the crunch) and the other with a more standard deeply plum sweet dark sauce. Perfectly cooked. I could eat both dishes for days.

Service was also impeccable, a friendly and knowledgable but unobtrusive waiter who helped us navigate both the cocktail and food menu with ease.
Although Holland, Michigan may be a bit far to travel for a casual weeknight meal, if Butch's were in my town, I'd be a regular. Absolutely.