“Poor Service..No Attention to Detail”

Doubletree Hotel Holland
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Toledo, OH, USA
“Poor Service..No Attention to Detail”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife, child, and I stayed at this hotel over the Christmas holidays. Although our service in the past was pretty good, our last stay left a lot to be desired.

1. My wife called in advance and specifically requested a double room as we have a child. When we arrived after an arduous drive, we checked in and went to our room and was greeted by a single room. We called to the desk and spoke to the manager on duty, who replied, "Oh...I can give you another room." This may seem like a small thing, but when the little things aren't being done right, it makes one wonder about the big things.

2. The package purchased by my wife included free internet. When we got our bill the next day, we noticed we had been charged for internet service. I (once again) called the desk and was greeted with "oh...sorry..we can take it off your bill." Details!

3. Finally we went to the buffet for breakfast. There was no buffet. We waited to order and (despite my persistent wife asking several times over the course of 45 minutes), we were not even brought water or juice. When asked what was going on, we were greeted with a.) "I am new here" and b.) "We are understaffed." We left without ever receiving food.

I told the manager on the way out that there wasn't a buffet today. His response was, "Ya...I just was told that." Unreal.

We will be looking for a different abode next time we go to Holland.

Room Tip: The rooms by the pool are noisy and when I was there, they didn't enforce the 11 PM curfew as th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DryProp
Omar Z, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
I would like to begin by apologizing for the confusion in room type at check-in, we understand how after a long trip even the little things can become very irritatiing. There is normally a very nice buffet set up for our guests to enjoy every morning and the fact that it was not available to you the morning after Christmas is unacceptable. In regards to the internet charges, our internet is 100% complimentary if accessed correctly. I am sorry if those directions were not explained to you. I would be more than happy to review your stay and adjust any internet charges off of your folio. We are always working to improve our service to our guests and appreciate the feedback you have given us. I hope that in the future you will give us another opportunity to extend our hospitality to you. Thank you for your time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel was very nice for the area! Quite a big space and a very open lobby/atrium. The restaurant/bar was very accommodating for us business travelers who needed a bite to eat and a drink at the end of our work day. There is a great pool area for the kids that is open year round! The only thing I would change is the size of the bathrooms in the hotel, not sure who designed them, but they are a tad bit small.

Room Tip: If you need your rest, take a room away from the conference rooms and pool area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Susanna W, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thanks so much for the great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are soon beginning a renovation that will increase the usable square footage in the bathrooms for a more comfortable experience. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The lobby was spacious but was multilevel and seemed a bit wasteful. Nice bar/lounge, tiny convenience outlet, a few good spaces for groups to hang out. Staff was friendly. Room was spacious and clean, fairly comfortable beds, mini-frig, TV. Bathroom was small but clean. One dislike: TV reception was not good - they "did not have cable or satellite yet". Biggest turnoff for me was the proximity to the pool. It was convenient to have a sliding door out to the pool atrium, and the pool was quite nice, but the noise! There was extreme noise from the pool that traveled into our room until the pool closed at 10pm. Breakfast was not included in our package. We paid for the breakfast buffet which was decent but overpriced. Price of room was kind of steep. We found out that if we had booked directly with the hotel front desk we could have gotten a Hope College discount (if you have a student there, which we do) which would have saved us a fair amount from the internet "discounted" price.

Room Tip: If you have a family and want to have good access to the pool, request a poolside room, but be prepa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lisa W, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thanks for the kind review of the hotel, we are all big Hope college fans here at the hotel, was great having the NCAA teams here in November . We do offer a Hope college rate here at the hotel which includes the breakfast buffet , it is just one of the many local companies and schools that stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future!!
Farmington, Minnesota
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This was my second 3 day stay at this hotel and both have been exceptional. The beds are amazingly comfortable. The service was great anytime I was looking for a place to eat or directions the front desk was more than happy to help. As a hilton honors member I did get breakfast passes and the breakfast buffet was delicious. A lot of options from fruit to pancakes to bacon and sausage.

The only note I should make is my room had a balcony that opened up to the area where the indoor pool is. There was noise you could here in the room and I was on the 4th floor. It didn't bother me but if you are a light sleeper you might want to ask for a room that doesn't over look the pool.

If traveling to Holland this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Andrew S, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thanks so much for the great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at doubletree in Holland MI for a wedding in Oct. The hotel was fairly nice. Had a nice pool and jacuzzi. The staff was friendly. We stayed there along with several other couples and the biggest complaint between all of us, was the bathrooms at the hotel were very small. We had a wedding to go to in Saugatuck and looking back I think we would have been better off staying a little closer to Saugatuck. Nothing to really do in the Holland area. I personally think the hotel was a little pricey, but that's the Hilton name.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew S, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Holland, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you so much for your review! I appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some of our hotel amenities! I'm sorry for the challenges you had with the size of the bathrooms. We are working on a renovation that will increase the usable square footage in the bathrooms for a more comfortable experience.

I hope you have a chance to stay with us again in the future!

Thank you.
Montreal
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was in Holland, Michigan for 2 nights on a business trip and found that this hotel met all my needs. Best free wi-fi of any hotel, all my devices (laptop, iphone, ipad) quickly and automatically connected. Great work area. Had a quick dinner in the restaurant and it was very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will visit the hotel again next time you are in Holland!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 30, 2012

In September 2012 we took 4 days to 'chill' at the DoubleTree while visiting local cities [e.g. Grand Rapids, Saugatuck, Holland, Grandville]. The rooms are clean and roomy enough for two! Breakfast was included and MUCH more than the typical continental offerings. Our room overlooked the pool but during the week there was no noise!

I highly recommend this location for easy access to downtown Holland and the freeways!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are nice if you have children wanting to swim!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time spent in beautiful West Michigan. I hope we will have a chance to host you again in the future!