“Wonderful Inn to end our 25th anniversary trip.”
Review of Dutch Colonial Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holland
Dutch Colonial Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Holland B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2010

1st off let me say that Pat and Bob (the inn keepers) are wonderful hosts! They really made us feel welcomed! Pat provided the best breakfast I have every had at a B&B and Bob and his stories about the Holland area were both helpful and entertaining. They really make you feel at home!

We stayed in the Master Suite and I highly recommend it to anyone coming to Holland for their honeymoon or anniversary. Wonderful large room, very private, with a spectacular whirlpool bath! The Dutch influenced decor was very nice and Bob has quite a collection of glassware - be sure to ask him about it.

We will return to the Dutch Colonial Inn the next time we are in Holland, MI.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dutch Colonial Inn

Reviewed December 4, 2009

This is our favorite place to come as a couple. We have been coming for years. The hospitality is outstanding. The quiet atmosphere is relaxing. I am a runner and the town is a running friendly place. The rooms are all tastefully decorated and the comon areas are large and inviteing. The innkeepers are a pleasure to be with.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I'm late writing the review I know, but we had a wonderful stay here during the Tulip Festival in 2004. The place is exactly as the pictures are, and extremely clean. The time to go to Holland is the Tulip Festival. We felt like we were honoured guests the whole 3 nights we stayed. We appreciated the grace before the breakfast but beyond that there was no further discussion. We are guests in their home and if that bothers you stay elsewhere.
We were in the cozy corner, which was cozy. The cookies were a lovely touch and Pat & Bob were only too happy to answer any questions we had. The perfect B & B experience!

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jangale
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the Dutch Colonial Inn in May of 2007, immediately preceding the Tulip Festival.

We stayed in the Tulip Suite, which is a loft style room with a sitting area, television, fireplace and private bathroom downstairs, and a bed, additional bathroom and tv in the loft upstairs.

Bob and Pat (the owners) are lovely hosts. They are warm, courteous, attentive and helpful, both before and during the stay. Before our stay, they worked with us to plan a time where we could stay with them at a price we could afford (our dates were flexible). Once there,they answered any questions we had about the area, and were able to easily direct us anywhere we wanted to go. During a few nights of our stay, we were the only guests so we had a neat opportunity to visit with the innkeepers a little more than we otherwise would have.

The property is located in a traditional neighborhood, in walking distance of downtown on pleasant days, though you'd need a car to go to the waterfront or other attractions. This was their family home that they converted to a B&B when their children were grown, so the home has the sense of being a true home, rich with history and memories. There is much evidence of the owners' lives and convictions, including pictures, art, etc. We enjoyed feeling like we were staying in a home and not in a hotel.

The neighborhood is very quiet. We slept with our windows open in both the evenings and during daytime naps and were never disturbed by household or neighborhood noise.

Our room was exceptionally clean, and they attended to it daily, complete with fresh linens. We had a nice soaking jacuzzi style tub in the bathroom upstairs that we enjoyed nearly every day of our stay without complaint.

The bed was very comfortable, and the sitting area provided a nice place for "downtime."

Our only complaint about the room is that the loft area has very low ceilings. We knew they were low but we didn't know they would be that low. My husband and I are 6'4 and 6'2, and on our last night, my husband stood up from bed and hit his head so hard on the eaves of the ceiling that our chiropractor said he sprained his neck. I bumped my head a few times in the bathroom. If you are tall people, definitely select one of their other rooms with traditional ceilings.

My other minor complaint is that the bedroom area of the room can get stuffy. There is a ceiling fan, but it's out over the stairs, as are the windows (save for a couple bathroom vent windows). We purchased a tiny little fan for less than $10 at the local drugstore to put on the bedside table and that solved the issue.

Breakfast was very good. I am not an egg eater, and she did serve eggs most days, but it was usually in the form of a casserole or quiche, which I was able to enjoy more easily than I would have enjoyed traditionally prepared eggs. We had fruit and yogurt with every breakfast that was delicious. Pat is an excellent cook and we enjoyed most everything she prepared.

The property is pretty. They have a peaceful sun room, as well as a beautiful fountain out front with a sitting area and Pat's lovely tulips. Regrettably, we did not take photos of the inside of the Inn but we do think the photos on their website provide a faithful representation.

They do pray a Christian prayer before breakfast, which we appreciated because we are also Christians. I appreciate that the owners treat their inn as their ministry in providing respite, and they are sharing their home and themselves, including their faith, with their guests.

We were in Michigan again this year and took a day trip back to Holland. We drove by DCI and wanted very much to drop in and say hello but did not since we had provided no notice. If we ever have the opportunity to stay in Holland again, we will not hesitate to return to the Dutch Colonial Inn.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AZJen
Reviewed February 18, 2008

The Dutch Colonial Inn is situated in a featureless neighborhood, in Holland Michigan. It is not located near the water front, or major parks. It's about a mile south of down town Holland which could be a pleasant walk in the spring and summer but a brutal experience in the winter.

The property itself has no distinguished features, unless you want to consider the "Department 56" village setups through out the house. It's a clean and well maintained property however with two friendly and cheerful proprietors.

Friendly as they may be the proprietors insist on saying grace prior to serving breakfast. The blessing comes out of the blue and with little warning to those who might have appreciated an opportunity to withdraw from such a blatant imposition of one's faith.

The B&B does not provide keys to the rooms. Thus you have to leave your possessions in your unlocked room. We did not have a problem but neither did we have the peace of mind that comes with a key and a lock.

My wife and I stayed in the Master Suite which features a large bedroom and a spacious bathroom. The bedroom is large enough to include a sofa and an arm chair in addition to the bed. There is a gas-log fireplace and an overabundance of religious books.

The bathroom has a large but bottom-of-the-line jacuzzi tub and a ridiculously cheap shower.

Nearly every surface in our room was occupied by knick-knack and china displays.

The common areas are heavily ornate and thus uninviting for relaxation. There were too many plastic flowers and green garlands around the house. Two months after Christmas, I was led to believe that the decorations were permanent, along with the "Dept 56" village displays.

The breakfast was unremarkable. Canned juice, artificially flavored coffee, and some casserole-like dishes.

Paying $170 per night for this place, in the middle of February, was simply a rip-off.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank lgreco67
Reviewed November 13, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Dutch Colonial Inn for our first wedding anniversary as we participated in the Holiday Cheer Wine Trail Event. We stayed overnight in the Tulip Suite. The room was perfect! Beautifully decorated and very romantic! Absolutely loved the separate living room area and loft bedroom. It made it feel like our own private retreat. The entire house was decorated for the upcoming holiday season. We walked around the house viewing all the small attention to detail in complete awe. The breakfast the next morning was fabulous, especially loved the fresh fruit and yogurt cup. I would love to return to the Dutch Colonial Inn again and try a different room, possibly the Master Suite.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed at the Dutch Colonial Inn as a get away for a weekend. We stayed in the Jenny Lind Suite, which has it's own private bath, king bed and a small jacuzzi tub. The room is decorated with very Victorian pictures, floral wallpaper, and lots of pink, even the toilet is pink!

The inn keepers were very pleasant on arrival and helpful in giving us directions on where to eat. The inn is located about 5 blocks from downtown Holland and is in a quiet residential area. There are many shops and some restaurants that the inn keeper told us about.

We had an OK breakfast, we sat with all the other B&B guests at 9:00 am, and the inn keeper did a prayer before the meal. I am used to more traditional breakfasts, (aka scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage links, or bacon?) and it was very different than what I had expected. I like being able to choose where I eat instead of having to sit altogether at one table. My boyfriend and I both enjoyed the fruit cup at the beginning of the breakfast, but were unimpressed by the rest.

We did have a young child crying in one of the rooms next door, So if you don't want to hear children crying, this B&B does allow small children.

We ended up skipping the breakfast the second morning, we'd rather sleep in :).The actual inn itself is visually an older home, but very pleasant. The floors are a bit creaky, but it the home and furnishings have that old world charm. The common rooms are very nice, and our room was very good, our only complaint was that the water pressure in the shower was very weak, and the jacuzzi tub buttons didn't work quite right.

Overall, for the price that we paid for the room, it's pleasant staff and it's close proximity to downtown Holland, the inn was a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple